Have any of you ever tried out a Generic cue that you felt was a great playing cue?

I am also curious if you have ever seen or played with a Generic cue that you thought was decent quality (maybe made with good quality woods, and put together at least half way decent, in your opinion)?

This is a stupid question, right(?), because there have probably never been any Generic cues that were made with quality materials, and decent Canadian hard rock maple shafts, right?

If they are out there, I have not been able to find them. I can assume that Generic is Generic (meaning, always going to be low / poor quality materials, and poor workmanship).

Sorry for yet another senseless thread (just some thoughts that came to mind, while I was browsing by some of the junk cues that are on ebay, that actually do have brand names, so actually can't be considered as Generic I guess).

Last edited:

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Just yesterday I bought a mint g-core with an as new porper case for a bean and a half from a local pro. Plays great.

Just yesterday I bought a mint g-core with an as new porper case for a bean and a half from a local pro. Plays great.

I always wondered about the G-Core shafts, but I have never tried one out. I heard that the i2 shaft that Mcdermott makes are much better. I never tried an i2 out either (I would really like to someday). Mcdermott makes a really great cue though. I do know that.

simplestroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an Earl Strickland Maximizer in my cue rack at home that hits amazingly well (as good as anything I have hit). Even has a distinct "ping".

mjkeil62

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had an early 90s Steve Mizerak Sneaky Pete that I bought from the PX. We switched barracks and had a pool table in the new building. Since I always liked playing and the sticks that they had were crooked I wanted my own. I remember putting them all together and rolling them on the PX floor till I found a straight one. Went through about fifteen. It was the first cue I owned. That cue stayed straight even in a cheap vinyl case and hit quite nicely. Used it as a break cue when I upgraded sticks. Sold it about fifteen years ago and regret that. I keep an eye out for one like it but haven't got lucky yet. Had nice dark rosewood. Memories......

Last edited:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ran a rack once with a window shade , several racks with a broom stick not in a row , had one of those cheap 3 part weighted sticks won hundreds of dollars with that , much more with a bar cue with a plastic slip on tip , oh ya the old aluminum cues also ,,
You get my drift

I ran a rack once with a window shade , several racks with a broom stick not in a row , had one of those cheap 3 part weighted sticks won hundreds of dollars with that , much more with a bar cue with a plastic slip on tip , oh ya the old aluminum cues also ,,
You get my drift

You are basically saying that a good player can play good with anything (no matter what the quality), right?

You really ran a rack with a window shade, and many racks with a broom stick? Wow, hard to believe.

pinkspider

Crap user name, I know.
Silver Member
i've played all manner of cues from Players to Ginas and all points in between –*my favourite cue is an Action brand (velly well made in china) sneaky pete that's basically a house cue. make no mistake, this is el cheapo shit. best playing cue (to me) ever. nice hit, snappy response, plenty of power. proprietor wrily refuses to sell it to me. cest la vie.

'junk' cues can be good playing cues. the only thing that matters is that you like how it plays, everything else is secondary. often we value looks and pedigree, which make decisions harder.

Robert58

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
You are basically saying that a good player can play good with anything (no matter what the quality), right?

You really ran a rack with a window shade, and many racks with a broom stick? Wow, hard to believe.

The shade is quite a stretch, but back in the 70's the bar I was a regular in had a worn out corn broom that we ruffed up the end of the stick that we played with. And yes I ran racks with it. And I was only a B player at best back then.

I have won way more money with a bar stick than any of my Custom Cues.

Find a cue that balances the way you like and try different tips on it until it plays to your liking and that is all you need.

Last edited:

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
any cue you buy without trying first is a crapshoot. period.

you'll find $20 cues that you love and $20,000 cues that you hate.

you'll find a cue from #1 cuemaker x that you love, and you'll find an identical cue by #1 cuemaker x that you hate.

keep that in mind whenever you get the urge to post these succotash threads about price and maker and playability.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The shade is quite a stretch, but back in the 70's the bar I was a regular in had a worn out corn broom that we ruffed up the end of the stick that we played with. And yes I ran racks with it. And I was only a B player at best back then.

I have won way more money with a bar stick than any of my Custom Cues.

Well book that Dano it was in a charity event where they would stick anything in your hand I broke with my regular cue made a ball on the break then the TD handed me a window shade less the fabric I ran the rack out with the pointed end ,,
I came close to doing the same with one of those big pencils

Last edited:
any cue you buy without trying first is a crapshoot. period.

you'll find $20 cues that you love and $20,000 cues that you hate.

you'll find a cue from #1 cuemaker x that you love, and you'll find an identical cue by #1 cuemaker x that you hate.

keep that in mind whenever you get the urge to post these succotash threads about price and maker and playability.

Thanks. I understand.

Jedivman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
received_10159184175450136.jpeg

They hit amazing, I now have 3 Mint Mohawks

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Way back in the early 1990s old Abe Rich and his STAR Cue company run out of an old wood shack near Miami beach- used to visit Abe on business trips to Miami- he could no longer handle custom SP orders, but was selling STAFFORD sneaky pete's for $40- bought one- still have it- 5/16 18 flat face joint - plays like a charm- he also sold Kotlin cue cases- made by a US company that made gun cases- cost $15 from old Abe and would last a lifetime- days gone by for sure!

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Players and Cuetec R360. Seriously. Decent looks, decent ingredients, excellent playing for the money.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you know about the forum called the jimbo army? Those guys over there are real knowledgeable and talk almost nothing but cues!!

Oze147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A few years ago, I won a mcdermott lucky cue (don't even know which of that series, but it has a linen wrap and this fake inlays).
So when I switched from snooker to pool, I started playing with this cue and I kinda like it.
But I'm nobody, who you can call experienced when it comes to cues. Give me a cue and I play with it, because I think I never lost a game because of the cue I was using...and as long you can't buy efren's hands, earl's stance or shane's mental strengh, I guess I will keep my cheap cue:D

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IF you FEEL that any given cue plays real good for you, then, given that structural components are equally sound: straightness,and a decent tip, with a smooth shaft, you probably would not really need to worry about it's cost vs. a more expensive cue. After the basics, it s all about fine tuning. 99% of pool players just are not there yet, 75% think that they are there! It would be like a violin player thinking that a Stradovarius would make them sound SO much better- it is a reality for 1% of the violin players as well. Golfers are the most notorious for THINKING that equipment changes = better performance. The short game is the short game in golf- almost all skill under pressure, just like the last three balls in nine ball - hill/hill - way more to success there than your cue!