Cheap Cue Recommendation

Shannon.spronk

Anybody read this?
Silver Member
So I am currently a college student. I am also a veteran. At my school a lot of the veterans hang out together and recently between classes I have gotten them into playing pool. The tables are free and the cues are all pretty beat up. Out of the roughly 15 cues that are near the pool tables only 3 had tips left on them. I want to buy a couple cues for myself and the other veterans to use. We want ones that we can take care of and keep out of the hands of some of the younger students that are beating the cues up. The guys really enjoy pool and I have even gotten them to go away from bar rules to ball in hand rules.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you can afford some baseline Players cues, I'd recommend those.

Dufferin and Rage also makes some decent quality, low-priced cues, as well.

Then, when I was in Green Bay, the University had 4 McDermott cues available for students who were V.I.P members.

Seyberts.com is also one of the best online retailers!

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
Recommendations depend a lot on what you consider "cheap", but off the top of my head:

< $100 Players, Rage, Lucky and Star from McDermott come to mind and the one I'd suggest, Dufferin

$100 - $120 I'd probably suggest Schmelke cues.

$200 I'd likely suggest Lucasi

magicrat69210

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
McDermott......players r good too, but if possible I would go with McDermott just because I think it will last longer being in a hot car and banged around for a few years....YMMV

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't have first-hand experience with them, but some of the ASKA cues on ebay seem to be on par with Players, and you can get 4 or 5 for around 100-120 bucks shipped.

Burnett Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seybert’s has a Players cue with an extra shaft for $112. The extra shaft is their low deflection shaft too. That is a great price and the cue also has a 3/8x10 pin.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
So I am currently a college student. I am also a veteran. At my school a lot of the veterans hang out together and recently between classes I have gotten them into playing pool. The tables are free and the cues are all pretty beat up. Out of the roughly 15 cues that are near the pool tables only 3 had tips left on them. I want to buy a couple cues for myself and the other veterans to use. We want ones that we can take care of and keep out of the hands of some of the younger students that are beating the cues up. The guys really enjoy pool and I have even gotten them to go away from bar rules to ball in hand rules.

What's your cheap cue budget?

I was thinking that if I were to buy some cues for people, that the hundred dollar Dale Perry ebay cues might be the way to go. So I bought one to check it out. Definitely worth it.

EDRJR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wrapless Suggestion

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Elimin...976646&hash=item1c94eb9bc9:g:gzIAAOxyQfJTfjRZ

I like the Eliminator sneaky petes on EBay for $40 shipped by billiardsheaven. Choose your weight and have a tip of your preference added and go to town. I live in Florida and I keep one in my trunk with a Thouroughbred MH. The current one has been baking for 6 months without any issues. I don't feel I'm sacrificing much using that combo. I had one that a friend of mine made a ball on the break 10 out of 10 tries so I gave it to him. His son tried it as a player and put his $300+ cue away and plays exclusively with the pete. Pro tapered true sneaky that a buddy of mine commented to me that "All the cues you have and you're using a house cue?" I laughed and told him what it was.
Worse case scenario you can always flip it withouit losing money.

Sweatin'

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Elimin...976646&hash=item1c94eb9bc9:g:gzIAAOxyQfJTfjRZ

I like the Eliminator sneaky petes on EBay for $40 shipped by billiardsheaven. Choose your weight and have a tip of your preference added and go to town. I live in Florida and I keep one in my trunk with a Thouroughbred MH. The current one has been baking for 6 months without any issues. I don't feel I'm sacrificing much using that combo. I had one that a friend of mine made a ball on the break 10 out of 10 tries so I gave it to him. His son tried it as a player and put his $300+ cue away and plays exclusively with the pete. Pro tapered true sneaky that a buddy of mine commented to me that "All the cues you have and you're using a house cue?" I laughed and told him what it was.

This exactly. I bought this same cue from the same seller a while back and I can't get over how much cue it is for the money.

I just put a Samsara tip on mine and turned it into a breaker, but that's another story.

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member

I love the McDermott "Element F2" with dual core technology. The shaft is slick and smooth and stays that way. I won one in a charity drawing and thought it would be just so so. I really like it. I have an 18 ounce and love it. I know they have a "4" and a "5" but don't know anything about them. The Element F2 retails for about $129.00. Can not go wrong. They come with an Everest tip. Here is a website you can look at them. https://www.ebay.com/i/380981886832?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No need to spend $100+ on cues. Purchase some Valley Supreme house cues. They come with good tips, you can pick straight ones, and they cost about $20 apiece. Keep them behind the counter, and only your group gets to use them.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Hope you find some good inexpensive cues.

By a dozen slip on tips for the cues already
there. You will do a favor for all the students.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

Hard to beat a $40.00 brand new cue. You could easily spend that one night hanging out with the guys getting a few drinks. You can see how your desire for the game changes to see if you want to spend a paycheck or so on a nicer cue down the road.

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take a look at the Nick Varner line of cues. They are an import but a built to Nick's specifications and are well constructed and play pretty darn good.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Hope you find some good inexpensive cues.

By a dozen slip on tips for the cues already
there. You will do a favor for all the students.

To the OP...DO NOT, under any circumstances, buy those BS slip-on tips.
They are crap, and don't provide any kind of feel for hitting the CB.

Scott Lee

Inexpensive cues for his own group of guys that want to improve.
Slip-on tips for the dozen cues that do not have any tips on them.

No one can play with cues with no tip at all.. Slip-ons for bangers
and he may just find a few more students, who are likely to learn.

Or maybe he can order 12 Kamui Blacks & hire a tip replacement
guy for 12 crappy cues...Just to get the feel of hitting the cue ball.

Last edited:

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member

Great suggestion.

And besides, when shooting with a cue that doesn't look as good as some do, just close your eyes and hit it as hard as you can and you'll never notice.:wink:

I still use a SP of sorts just cuz I like the hit and don't wanna worry too much about theft of it when I go pee.

Also, I learned to shoot pool in c0ollege using cues without tips because of the common, free table. It really improves one's soft touch, as stop and draw shots become difficult. To this day, I still amaze people when I pot a ball that barely falls in when it looked like it would stop a few feet from the pocket. That touch came from my tipless college days. At least that's something to be gained from using those.

Jeff Livingston