Why jack up?

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This taken from another thread...
mikepage said:
In some places you'll hear "It's not a foul if you jack up." More nonsense.
I agree with mike. It seems like many people just do not understand why someone would want to jack up on a shot where the CB is very close (but not frozen) to the OB.

Some people think its a pool rule that requires you to jack up on close proximity shots. If you don't, then it's a foul. Some people just do it because they see the pros doing it, but still have no idea why they do it.

So do people out there actually know the real reason why it is desirable to jack up on a shot where the CB and OB is close together? And do you HAVE to jack up on a close proximity shot?

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll take a crack at it.

It would still be a foul if you wind up double-hitting but I will jack up on occasion depending on the action I want from the cueball. Jacking up is the only way I have found to be dependable in getting good draw off these shots.
I do agree that it isn't necessary all the time but sometimes it makes perfect sense.

Regards,
Koop

P.S. You still moving south?

thoffen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well koop has got it right. The main reason is to avoid double-hitting the cue ball. A lot of people don't even realize when they do this, but if you see the CB move significantly forward then you know you've done it. :)

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Koop and thoffen pretty much have the idea.

Jacking up not only applies stun/draw on the CB, but your cue stick won't go too far past the position of the CB, such that you're less likely to double hit.

I remember watching an ESPN pool match with commentary by Allen Hopkins. They then cut to one of Allen Hopkins' "tips of the day". I forgot the exact purpose of the tip, but he was showing how to play a particular shot with the OB was very close to CB...

Hopkins then instructs that you should jack up and hit low on the CB. He gives absolutely no explanation why you should do so. He then executes his shot by blatantly double hitting the CB!! You can observe the backward spin on the CB, but the CB definitely travels a foot past the original position of the OB. WTF!? Nice tip. Has anyone else saw this ESPN "tip"?