Reload this Page New slide show/video on YouTube
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
New slide show/video on YouTube
Old
  (#1)
BillPorter
AzB Silver Member
BillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

New slide show/video on YouTube - 11-15-2006, 08:31 PM

I just uploaded a video to YouTube that contains images from the 1986 Clyde Childress Memorial Pool Tournament. My first effort at doing one of these featured photos taken at the 1982 Dayton Open, Earl Strickland’s first big win (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu-4gKhaBzY). This latest effort was inspired by the sadness I sometimes feel when thinking back about old tournaments and old players. Old timers will recognize most of the faces, but I have captioned them just in case. And most will recognize players who are no longer with us such as Cornbread Red, Steve Mizerak, Jay Swanson, and Gary Speath. Anyway, I have fiddled with the thing most of the day and finally decided to go ahead and upload it before I went any crazier than I already am. It’s yours to enjoy, and I hope you do so a time or two.

Here’s the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ryb8AJ4M-0c

Regards,
Bill Porter
http://billporter.smugmug.com/

Old
  (#2)
sde
sde has a reputation beyond reputesde has a reputation beyond reputesde has a reputation beyond reputesde has a reputation beyond reputesde has a reputation beyond reputesde has a reputation beyond reputesde has a reputation beyond reputesde has a reputation beyond reputesde has a reputation beyond reputesde has a reputation beyond reputesde has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

11-15-2006, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillPorter
I just uploaded a video to YouTube that contains images from the 1986 Clyde Childress Memorial Pool Tournament. My first effort at doing one of these featured photos taken at the 1982 Dayton Open, Earl Strickland’s first big win (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu-4gKhaBzY). This latest effort was inspired by the sadness I sometimes feel when thinking back about old tournaments and old players. Old timers will recognize most of the faces, but I have captioned them just in case. And most will recognize players who are no longer with us such as Cornbread Red, Steve Mizerak, Jay Swanson, and Gary Speath. Anyway, I have fiddled with the thing most of the day and finally decided to go ahead and upload it before I went any crazier than I already am. It’s yours to enjoy, and I hope you do so a time or two.

Here’s the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ryb8AJ4M-0c
Thanks Bill. Nice work putting that together.

Old
  (#3)
mattman
mattman has much to be proud ofmattman has much to be proud ofmattman has much to be proud ofmattman has much to be proud ofmattman has much to be proud ofmattman has much to be proud ofmattman has much to be proud ofmattman has much to be proud of

vCash: 425

11-15-2006, 10:26 PM

Thanks for the upload, I know that has to take some time to put together. I don't see how Kim Davenport, or anybody for that matter, could play pool with a ball cap on.

Thanks again,
Matt

Old
  (#4)
BillPorter
AzB Silver Member
BillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond repute

11-16-2006, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman
Thanks for the upload, I know that has to take some time to put together. I don't see how Kim Davenport, or anybody for that matter, could play pool with a ball cap on.

Thanks again,
Matt
Maybe that was the weight he was giving up in the match?

Regards,
Bill Porter

Old
  (#5)
CaptainHook
NOT Mike Sigel
CaptainHook has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainHook has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainHook has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainHook has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainHook has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainHook has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainHook has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainHook has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainHook has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainHook has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainHook has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-16-2006, 08:53 AM

Thank you, that was great. I Love looking at pictures like that. A friend of mine has a few of the Johnson city fliers from around 1971 and 1972. I am trying to get them from him to scan & post.

Keep up the good work.

Favorite Game: One Pocket
Playing Cue: KC with Predator Vantage Shaft
Break/Jump Cue: J&J with Samsara Tip
Case: John Barton Rugged 2X5 with 3 pockets; http://www.jbcases.com/

NO, I am not Mike Sigel, he is skinny and has less hair, also I do not have any affiliation with GPPA .

Facebook; https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnm...00005109825871

My Cue Gallery: http://forums.azbilliards.com/album.php?albumid=1106

Old
  (#6)
raemondo
AzB Silver Member
raemondo has a brilliant futureraemondo has a brilliant futureraemondo has a brilliant futureraemondo has a brilliant futureraemondo has a brilliant futureraemondo has a brilliant futureraemondo has a brilliant futureraemondo has a brilliant futureraemondo has a brilliant futureraemondo has a brilliant futureraemondo has a brilliant future

11-16-2006, 09:11 AM

Hey Bill, some good pictures, and a great slideshow. Really liked the music. Great work!

I-L-L-I-N-I Billiards Club @ Urbana-Champaign

Ditto
Old
  (#7)
wahcheck
AzB Silver Member
wahcheck has a reputation beyond reputewahcheck has a reputation beyond reputewahcheck has a reputation beyond reputewahcheck has a reputation beyond reputewahcheck has a reputation beyond reputewahcheck has a reputation beyond reputewahcheck has a reputation beyond reputewahcheck has a reputation beyond reputewahcheck has a reputation beyond reputewahcheck has a reputation beyond reputewahcheck has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto - 11-16-2006, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sde
Thanks Bill. Nice work putting that together.
Thank you, Mr. Porter.....A tasteful and poignant piece of work......Can't get over how young Earl, Nick, and Efren look......wish I was there when it happened....what a collection of pool sharks........as the phrase goes, from the movie, "The Hustler", it's like a Hustler's Convention! .... and we may never see the likes of it again.....

Thanks for looking....
Old
  (#8)
BillPorter
AzB Silver Member

Thanks for looking.... - 11-16-2006, 03:48 PM

Thanks for the compliment. I think one reason DCC is so popular is that in some ways it is kind of like the atmosphere from the old tournaments. I'm glad I had the old pics from the 1980's to use in the slide show.

Regards,
Bill Porter

Old
  (#9)
satman
AzB Silver Member
satman has a reputation beyond reputesatman has a reputation beyond reputesatman has a reputation beyond reputesatman has a reputation beyond reputesatman has a reputation beyond reputesatman has a reputation beyond reputesatman has a reputation beyond reputesatman has a reputation beyond reputesatman has a reputation beyond reputesatman has a reputation beyond reputesatman has a reputation beyond repute

11-16-2006, 08:07 PM

Thanks Bill. Another flashback in time for some of us. I wasn't at this one, but the Clyde Childress tournament at the bar, what was the name of it. One of the Brocks owned it. That was the first time I saw Shannon play. He was beating Berle playing $100 a game 9-ball. His Dad was side-betting the games. Shannon had just turned 13. Thanks again, nice pictures. Sam

The name of the bar....
Old
  (#10)
BillPorter
AzB Silver Member

The name of the bar.... - 11-16-2006, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satman
Thanks Bill. Another flashback in time for some of us. I wasn't at this one, but the Clyde Childress tournament at the bar, what was the name of it. One of the Brocks owned it. That was the first time I saw Shannon play. He was beating Berle playing $100 a game 9-ball. His Dad was side-betting the games. Shannon had just turned 13. Thanks again, nice pictures. Sam
Sam, I believe it was the Maverick Club owned by Monroe Brock. Ring a bell?

Regards,
Bill Porter

Last edited by BillPorter; 11-17-2006 at 09:18 AM.

Old
  (#11)
BillPorter
AzB Silver Member

11-17-2006, 09:19 AM

Morning bump

Regards,
Bill Porter

Old
  (#12)
trueblu8
Let that stroke out baby!
trueblu8 has a reputation beyond reputetrueblu8 has a reputation beyond reputetrueblu8 has a reputation beyond reputetrueblu8 has a reputation beyond reputetrueblu8 has a reputation beyond reputetrueblu8 has a reputation beyond reputetrueblu8 has a reputation beyond reputetrueblu8 has a reputation beyond reputetrueblu8 has a reputation beyond reputetrueblu8 has a reputation beyond reputetrueblu8 has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to trueblu8  
11-18-2006, 02:57 AM

Bill you must've known Earl from back then, was he always the jerk that he is now? It's sad when you see someone so talented that ruins it with a bad attitude.

I never knew him on a personal level
Old
  (#13)
BillPorter
AzB Silver Member

I never knew him on a personal level - 11-18-2006, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblu8
Bill you must've known Earl from back then, was he always the jerk that he is now? It's sad when you see someone so talented that ruins it with a bad attitude.
Sorry, I didn't really know Earl. Maybe someone else can chip in on this question. I do know he was a little crazy and pretty cocky.

Regards,
Bill Porter

Old
  (#14)
worriedbeef
The Voice of Reason
worriedbeef has a reputation beyond reputeworriedbeef has a reputation beyond reputeworriedbeef has a reputation beyond reputeworriedbeef has a reputation beyond reputeworriedbeef has a reputation beyond reputeworriedbeef has a reputation beyond reputeworriedbeef has a reputation beyond reputeworriedbeef has a reputation beyond reputeworriedbeef has a reputation beyond reputeworriedbeef has a reputation beyond reputeworriedbeef has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1300

11-18-2006, 10:23 AM

Bill who's singing the song? I know it's called Mad World - it was Christmas number one a couple of years back here in England and was while it was a nice song, I didn't think nothing much of it. This version (the original?) is wonderful.

And nice video. I don't particularly feel the same feelings as a lot of the older fellas on here who remmeber the time - i'm only 19. but nevertheless i know most of the players and it's still a very sad, reflective video, seeing all those greats who i know now as older, slower, and past their prime looking fit and young.

"I know someday you'll have a beautiful life I know you'll be a sun, in somebody else's sky but why, why, why can't it be mine?"

Old
  (#15)
Williebetmore
Member, .25% Club
Williebetmore has a reputation beyond reputeWilliebetmore has a reputation beyond reputeWilliebetmore has a reputation beyond reputeWilliebetmore has a reputation beyond reputeWilliebetmore has a reputation beyond reputeWilliebetmore has a reputation beyond reputeWilliebetmore has a reputation beyond reputeWilliebetmore has a reputation beyond reputeWilliebetmore has a reputation beyond reputeWilliebetmore has a reputation beyond reputeWilliebetmore has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 583

11-18-2006, 10:53 AM

Bill,
What a great way to present the photo's. My compliments on a job well done; and my thanks for taking the time to share.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: