alcano's wpc winning cue

diablo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hey guys!

happen to notice ronnie's cue at wpc? seems to be he's not using the 314 shaft at that event?--diablo

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
diablo said:
hey guys!

happen to notice ronnie's cue at wpc? seems to be he's not using the 314 shaft at that event?--diablo

I think Ronnie Alcano could win shooting with a broom stick handle. He's just that good. Of course, how he got that way, like most Filipinos today, was a long hard road and struggle, playing 15-ball rotation on inferior equipment. When the Filipinos came to the States and played 9-ball rotation in supreme environments on pristine equipment, it must have seemed like a piece of cake.

Today Ronnie Alcano is a world champion, and whatever he's shooting with, it is a weapon of mass destruction. However, it ain't the stick in most instances. It is the shooter. :p

JAM

arsenius

Nothing ever registers...
Silver Member
JAM said:
I think Ronnie Alcano could win shooting with a broom stick handle. He's just that good. Of course, how he got that way, like most Filipinos today, was a long hard road and struggle, playing 15-ball rotation on inferior equipment. When the Filipinos came to the States and played 9-ball rotation in supreme environments on pristine equipment, it must have seemed like a piece of cake.

Today Ronnie Alcano is a world champion, and whatever he's shooting with, it is a weapon of mass destruction. However, it ain't the stick in most instances. It is the shooter. :p

JAM

Of course it is always the shooter, but I'd still love it if TV coverage of pool would give a little attention to the sticks the players use. Even if they didn't mention the brand, it'd be nice to see a close up of the pros' equipment now and then, just to create a little interest. Not everyone can appreciate a runout, but most people can tell if a cue looks neat or not...

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
arsenius said:
Of course it is always the shooter, but I'd still love it if TV coverage of pool would give a little attention to the sticks the players use. Even if they didn't mention the brand, it'd be nice to see a close up of the pros' equipment now and then, just to create a little interest. Not everyone can appreciate a runout, but most people can tell if a cue looks neat or not...

I think you are correct. There is a large subculture in the culture of pool as a whole who seem to be interested in cue sticks and/or equipment, more so than the actual game or the players themselves.

I think it was in the early '90s when I noticed a lot of interest in cue collecting. I actually met a guy from the Midwest who has a multi-million-dollar cue collection in special room in his home. He has several Balabushkas, as an example, with a couple of them worth six figures in today's market.

To a player, at least those that I have spoken to, the name brand of the stick makes no difference. It is that infamous "magic hit" they are looking for.

Interestingly, since I have known Jose Parica, each time I see him, he is playing with a different cue stick. However, then you have the players like Rodney Morris who would rather fight than switch from playing with a stick that he's been shooting with since 1994 (a Szamboti, I think).

There are few players today that I have met who play with the same cue for an extended period of time, with the exception of the sponsored ones, of course. :D

JAM

djkx1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
arsenius said:

I agree. I think the production of televised matches should focus more on the players, including the equipment they use. What incentive is there for sponsorship, if the sponsor gets very little or no coverage? It could only benefit the sport IMO. Likewise, as often mentioned, viewers tend to be more interested if they shed some light on the players and their lives.

lsabado

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ronnies cue

I believe his playing with a Carmeli. I think I read it from one of the post here. He has a cue on order from him and Mr. Carmeli loaned his personal cue. That's what I call a great service.

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
That's my understanding too. Ronnie is due back in US soon and his new Ariel Carmeli ebony into cocobolo cue will be waiting for him. The figure in the cocobolo on Ronnie's cue is incredible. The cue is 95% complete. I'll get a photo of the cue after it is finished (that should be real soon) and post it here. Ariel cues are well made and play good. The Mexican Bocote Hoppe cue I have is, without a doubt, the best playing cue I've owned.

Martin

lsabado said:
I believe his playing with a Carmeli. I think I read it from one of the post here. He has a cue on order from him and Mr. Carmeli loaned his personal cue. That's what I call a great service.

Last edited: