When did McD start this?

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
Just replaced a tip on one of our members McDermott shaft. They long ago used a lot of uncapped fibre ferrules like on older house cues. This material is no longer available. For the past many years they were using an uncapped & threaded linen base ferrule...much like Ivorine 3. This was all fine. But now...I see they are currently using a cheap plastic capped ferrule similar to Meucci. :eek: Anyone else notice this?

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Varney Cues said:
Just replaced a tip on one of our members McDermott shaft. They long ago used a lot of uncapped fibre ferrules like on older house cues. This material is no longer available. For the past many years they were using an uncapped & threaded linen base ferrule...much like Ivorine 3. This was all fine. But now...I see they are currently using a cheap plastic capped ferrule similar to Meucci. :eek: Anyone else notice this?

I don't have an answer to your question, but I will add to it. My old McD had a threaded Linen base, but I always read that McD's used Ivorine III. is it possible they use cheaper ferrules on their lower end cues?

MrLucky

Pool Fanatic!!
Silver Member
Ivorine III (whatever that is! ;-)

Varney Cues said:
He or she must have replaced the original! heres their breakdown and all cues except 2 use a ivorine III

Tip/Ferrule/Pin
Feature/Specification

Elite/Prestige

Professional

Tournament

Competitor
Triangle, medium hard tip
YES

YES

YES

YES
Tip diameter, in ¼ mm increments
12-14 mm

12-14 mm

12-14 mm

12-14 mm

-

-

-

(not available on all models)
Heavy gauge stainless steel 3/8x10 pin
YES

YES

YES

YES
Ivorine III ferrule
YES

YES

YES

YES
Aegis, linen-based ferrule
YES

YES

-

-
Moori tip: *Available as standard on all Intimidator shafts

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
I can check our stock but I am pretty sure they are still using a form of I3 but it is not as white as the old stuff. It has yellowish streaks.

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
ratcues said:
I can check our stock but I am pretty sure they are still using a form of I3 but it is not as white as the old stuff. It has yellowish streaks.
Nope. This was a brand new cue. And it was in no shape or fashion linen based. So they must have just started. Rattie...check your stock of newest McD's and see if the ferrule isn't plastic. I noticed it when I took a pass to face off the ferrule and the material came off in one long string.;)

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
I just checked our stock and the lastest shipment does have some kind of plastic ferrule on the cues so they must have changed within the past couple of weeks.

buddha162

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
acepool said:
Looking to make money while talking in forums? Pretty much can’t go wrong with the link listed down below. You don’t have to spend any money, all you do is chat about whatever you want, and you’ll make money doing it!!! Everyday it shows you how much you’re making, pretty cool! Please use the link below for signing up, as you will then become my referral!!! Thanks.

http://www.mylot.com/?ref=fletch86

This is the second time I'm reading your spam. Please take your crap and sell it somewhere else, this is a pool forum.

-Roger (deletion requested)

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Varney Cues said:
I guess they want that low deflection capabilities of that ferrule too.
I'm gonna take a wild guess and say they are made in China ( those shafts ).

dave fingers

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JoeyInCali said:
I'm gonna take a wild guess and say they are made in China ( those shafts ).
I believe they are one of the few who haven't moved to China but I might be wrong. Fury cues home is near my home and I can tell you for sure that everyone of them has a "made in China" sticker.:rolleyes:

vicdotcom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
dave fingers said:
I believe they are one of the few who haven't moved to China but I might be wrong. Fury cues home is near my home and I can tell you for sure that everyone of them has a "made in China" sticker.:rolleyes:

I think they recently moved production out of America for at least some of their cues. I noticed that some no longer say "made in america" on the logo now.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Varney Cues said:

Partner, I sell and also re-tip a lot of McDermott Cues from my Pro-shop. I have seen exactly the same thing a couple of times.

However, the use of this material is not done on a regular basis. I originally thought that maybe they were only using it their lower end cues, however, I have also seem them on $1395 - $2000 McDermott cues.

I contacted my sales representative and he told me that this material was new, and was not being reordered because of the problems with it.

Lately, during the last 3 months I have not seen this problem on the new cues that I am receiving. I re-tip (Le Pro, Water Buffalo, or elkmast) new cues as a service to my customers for free when they purchase a new cue, because a lot of people do not like the Triangle tip that comes with the cue.

If you see anymore of them on new cues, please PM me because I also hope that they stop using them.

Manwon