• Butt

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I like to watch 'American Idol'

Votes: 5 10.4%

• Total voters

Peer

Norwegian in California
Silver Member
Obviously, this has been asked many many times before -- but I'm punchy and hence would like to know how ye current AzB people think about this issue:

Mr. Wilson

El Kabong
Gold Member
Silver Member
As big or bigger than anything you listed, the joint.

For me, a combo of joint and tip. Shaft taper matters too.

SnakePool

Number 1 Photo Guy
Silver Member
I am saying shaft. You can put an ob-1 on just about any cue and make hit good.

Tip factors in when it comes down to an individual's opinion.

Joint "material" is a good factor, I myself do not like a Stainless Steel joint.

A well balanced butt is a great factor in a good-hitting cue.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I am saying shaft. You can put an ob-1 on just about any cue and make hit good.

Lemme make you a butt with crappy maple handle wood and crappy maple forearm and add 3 oz, of weight, have polymer collar and very slim taper.
I bet you change your opinion on that. :)

SnakePool

Number 1 Photo Guy
Silver Member
Notice I said "just about any cue" those are key words...

My boss has a mcdermott that it does it absolutely no justice. It hits like a rotten old wet sponge.

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
I voted for tip. Obviously all things matter a great deal, but when I have to select a house cue to play with, I look at the tip first and foremost, a bit of a warp doesn't bother me (in a house cue).

gr. Dave

rlw

Silver Member
There is so many different factors that goes in to a good cue that's it's hard to pick just one. :eek:

Reactions: sde

cfrandy

AKA: The Road Runner
Silver Member
Functional or decorative?

When asked this question I usually give the answer, "The 29-inches above the joint". However, when (seldom) I must use a house cue you'll find me hunched in a corner ;) working the cuetip with my Ultimate Tip Tool!

sde

Silver Member
rlw said:
There is so many different factors that goes in to a good cue that's it's hard to pick just one. :eek:

But if you HAD to pick just one what would it be?
Nice to see you posting.:)

Steve

dave fingers

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only true answer to this question is What Feels Good In Your Hands. Everyone is different and everyone has their own opinions.
If you did not notice, almost every reply starts their 1st sentence w/ for me.

And I agree w/ what Mr. RandyG had to say also. A good player can shoot w/ anything.

Last edited:

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
What makes a good cue?

How good looking the builder is?

I vote for what J in C said and will go for the sum of all involved.
It really is hard to pin point just one part but I guess the tip might play a main factor. (try playing without one!)

ioCross

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i for one think the construction of the butt has a lot to do with the hit of the cue. i've had an affinity for preadator shafts since they came out. i used to think once you put a 314 on any butt the cue would hit the same, but to my surprise i learned that isnt the case.

the first cue i had witha 314 was a lucasi sneaky with a 314. that combination hit excellent, but i wanted something a little more prettier than it. so i moved onto a jerry oliver with a 314. that cue hit the best out of any cue i've ever owned. a friend of mine, after hitting balls with my cue for an hour decided he'd get one for his jacoby sp. well, i dont know what it was about the cue, but it just felt.... weird. the hit was completely different from the JO or the lucasi, and not in a good way either. then a friend of mine bought a 4k6 with a 314, and after experimenting with that cue i found it also had a different "feel" than my JO. however, after playing with that 4k6, and also playing with a 4k2 i realized that those two cues made by predator pretty much had the same feel to it.

so basically theres 6 different cues, all with the same shaft, which all hit differently from each other. now im no expert in cue making or the properties of cues in general but it's something worth mentioning.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Peer said:
Obviously, this has been asked many many times before -- but I'm punchy and hence would like to know how ye current AzB people think about this issue:

The Kebbler Elves, I heard that it is Elfin Magic!!!!!:p :D

Manwon

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What makes a cue good is a great player shooting with it.

Nobody complains after that.;)

Peer

Norwegian in California
Silver Member
rlw wrote:
> There is so many different factors that goes in
> to a good cue that's it's hard to pick just one.

Yea, I know that -- and I also know that everyone else here knows that. But this question/poll is set up as a purely binary thingee -- i.e., pick the option that you feel is closest to your beliefs... and if you can't find it, vote for the American Idol... Who fokking cares..?! It's just a silly poll.

-- peer

sde

Silver Member
dave fingers said:
And I agree w/ what Mr. RandyG had to say also. A good player can shoot w/ anything.

That is sure the truth. I know a player that plays pretty sporty with a BROOM HANDLE.

Steve