Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page question about sighting shots
Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2
 
Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
question about sighting shots
Old
  (#1)
johhdagolfer
AzB Bronze Member
johhdagolfer is on a distinguished road
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 7
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Nov 2006
   
question about sighting shots - 11-20-2006, 09:33 PM

I find that I can locate the spot on the ball I want to hit. My problem is that when i try to get down on the shot to sight that spot I start to see a crossed eye view. It's like a double image. I know I am left I dominant, but it's awkward trying to get my left eye over the shaft. Anyways back to this double image... it's almost like going crossed eyed.

It's this common? How shoudl I change my setup to prevent this?

Thanks,

John
  
Reply With Quote

Old
  (#2)
Stones
YEAH, I'M WOOFING AT YOU!
Stones has a reputation beyond reputeStones has a reputation beyond reputeStones has a reputation beyond reputeStones has a reputation beyond reputeStones has a reputation beyond reputeStones has a reputation beyond reputeStones has a reputation beyond reputeStones has a reputation beyond reputeStones has a reputation beyond reputeStones has a reputation beyond reputeStones has a reputation beyond repute
 
Stones's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 2,493
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Nov 2006
   
11-20-2006, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johhdagolfer
I find that I can locate the spot on the ball I want to hit. My problem is that when i try to get down on the shot to sight that spot I start to see a crossed eye view. It's like a double image. I know I am left I dominant, but it's awkward trying to get my left eye over the shaft. Anyways back to this double image... it's almost like going crossed eyed.

It's this common? How shoudl I change my setup to prevent this?

Thanks,

John
I take it you are right handed and left eye dominate. That is a tough situation. Over the years, I have had two students with this problem. Both switched to playing left handed. It was very awkward and frustrating at first, but both made the transition eventually.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3)
johhdagolfer
AzB Bronze Member
johhdagolfer is on a distinguished road
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 7
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Nov 2006
   
11-20-2006, 10:08 PM

NO way can I switch. I am soooo right handed that stroking with the left would be very difficult.

Any suggestions on what I should do?

Thanks,

John
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#4)
SlickRick_PCS
Banned
SlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond reputeSlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond reputeSlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond reputeSlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond reputeSlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond reputeSlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond reputeSlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond reputeSlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond reputeSlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond reputeSlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond reputeSlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond repute
 
SlickRick_PCS's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 632
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Heart of Texas
   
11-20-2006, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johhdagolfer
NO way can I switch. I am soooo right handed that stroking with the left would be very difficult.

Any suggestions on what I should do?

Thanks,

John
It all depends on your stance. Do you, first of all, put your chin all the way down to your cue or close to it (i.e. snooker players and most pool players) or do you mainly have an upright stance (i.e Minnesota Fats). If you can answer this question for me, then I'll try my best to give you a remedy.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#5)
johhdagolfer
AzB Bronze Member
johhdagolfer is on a distinguished road
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 7
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Nov 2006
   
11-20-2006, 10:35 PM

My chin touches my cue. Is there anyway I can learn just to use my weaker eye?

Thanks,

John
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#6)
SlickRick_PCS
Banned
SlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond reputeSlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond reputeSlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond reputeSlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond reputeSlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond reputeSlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond reputeSlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond reputeSlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond reputeSlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond reputeSlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond reputeSlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond repute
 
SlickRick_PCS's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 632
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Heart of Texas
   
11-20-2006, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johhdagolfer
My chin touches my cue. Is there anyway I can learn just to use my weaker eye?

Thanks,

John
It is personal preferance; whatever makes you feel confortable. I saw a pretty fine article by Sammy Diep involving eye dominance: http://www.azbilliards.com/sammdiep/samm1.cfm .
Myself, for example, I use both of my eyes for sighting a shot. As far as stance is concerned, my recommendation is that your whole arm should be at more-or-less a foot away from your torso and your head should move into your cue. Wanna see fine examples of stances, look at Allison Fisher and (for you definately johndagolfer) Kim Shaw's stance and she's a fine example of left eye dominance.

Cheers and good luck on your billiards
  
Reply With Quote
?????????
Old
  (#7)
Pinocchio
AzB Silver Member
Pinocchio has a reputation beyond reputePinocchio has a reputation beyond reputePinocchio has a reputation beyond reputePinocchio has a reputation beyond reputePinocchio has a reputation beyond reputePinocchio has a reputation beyond reputePinocchio has a reputation beyond reputePinocchio has a reputation beyond reputePinocchio has a reputation beyond reputePinocchio has a reputation beyond reputePinocchio has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 1,772
vCash: 500
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Join Date: Aug 2006
   
????????? - 11-20-2006, 10:55 PM

Maybe you need eye exam.You might need glasses or possibly have a cataract. You know how all that stuff goes. I now have a dominate left eye because of cataract on right.Pretty much makes pool a guessing game.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#8)
mindtriplx
AzB Silver Member
mindtriplx has a reputation beyond reputemindtriplx has a reputation beyond reputemindtriplx has a reputation beyond reputemindtriplx has a reputation beyond reputemindtriplx has a reputation beyond reputemindtriplx has a reputation beyond reputemindtriplx has a reputation beyond reputemindtriplx has a reputation beyond reputemindtriplx has a reputation beyond reputemindtriplx has a reputation beyond reputemindtriplx has a reputation beyond repute
 
mindtriplx's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 404
vCash: 500
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NJ
  Send a message via AIM to mindtriplx  
11-20-2006, 10:57 PM

i am left eye dom. and right handed too. forget trying to use your weaker eye or putting the cue in the middle. you wont be able to make a ball, atleast thats how it was for me. for me i would just get comfortable and turn my head slightly to put my left eye over the cue also not putting my chin on the cue helped get rid of the double vision (i keep it like 3in above). what also helped me is looking at pics and videos of jim rempe cuz he has perfect fundamentals and is left eye dom. too.


"Where we have strong emotions, we're liable to fool ourselves."
- Carl Sagan
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#9)
FLICKit
AzB Silver Member
FLICKit has a reputation beyond reputeFLICKit has a reputation beyond reputeFLICKit has a reputation beyond reputeFLICKit has a reputation beyond reputeFLICKit has a reputation beyond reputeFLICKit has a reputation beyond reputeFLICKit has a reputation beyond reputeFLICKit has a reputation beyond reputeFLICKit has a reputation beyond reputeFLICKit has a reputation beyond reputeFLICKit has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 1,114
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Phoenix
   
11-20-2006, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johhdagolfer
I find that I can locate the spot on the ball I want to hit. My problem is that when i try to get down on the shot to sight that spot I start to see a crossed eye view. It's like a double image. I know I am left I dominant, but it's awkward trying to get my left eye over the shaft. Anyways back to this double image... it's almost like going crossed eyed.

It's this common? How shoudl I change my setup to prevent this?
I have the same issue, except I am opposite handed and dominant eyed. One short term solution that I received was to simply make a slight turn in your head (so that your dominant eye is closer to the target, while the non-dominant eye is slightly back and off). This will actually move your dominant eye over the stick. One of the best ways to understand how slight a head turn is necessary to accomplish this, is simply to close the non-dominant eye briefly. Now, when you turn your head you will be able to see when you eye is above the stick and lined up to the target.

This solution also showed me that I previously had a problem with my stick alignment being consistently pointed off, instead of aligned to the target. Correcting the stick alignment along with the head adjustment opened up new targeting accuracy.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#10)
FLICKit
AzB Silver Member
FLICKit has a reputation beyond reputeFLICKit has a reputation beyond reputeFLICKit has a reputation beyond reputeFLICKit has a reputation beyond reputeFLICKit has a reputation beyond reputeFLICKit has a reputation beyond reputeFLICKit has a reputation beyond reputeFLICKit has a reputation beyond reputeFLICKit has a reputation beyond reputeFLICKit has a reputation beyond reputeFLICKit has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 1,114
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Phoenix
   
11-20-2006, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindtriplx
i am left eye dom. and right handed too. forget trying to use your weaker eye or putting the cue in the middle. you wont be able to make a ball, atleast thats how it was for me. for me i would just get comfortable and turn my head slightly to put my left eye over the cue also not putting my chin on the cue helped get rid of the double vision (i keep it like 3in above). what also helped me is looking at pics and videos of jim rempe cuz he has perfect fundamentals and is left eye dom. too.
Missed being first to state the solution by just a few minutes. Oh well, at least now you have 2 opinions pointing out the same solution. Great minds think alike...
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#11)
xidica
AzB Silver Member
xidica has a reputation beyond reputexidica has a reputation beyond reputexidica has a reputation beyond reputexidica has a reputation beyond reputexidica has a reputation beyond reputexidica has a reputation beyond reputexidica has a reputation beyond reputexidica has a reputation beyond reputexidica has a reputation beyond reputexidica has a reputation beyond reputexidica has a reputation beyond repute
 
xidica's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 783
vCash: 500
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Houston, TX
   
11-21-2006, 12:22 AM

Sure it's not all the darn beer you guys been drinking? What's the problem? Seeing cross-eyed now!?!

Heck I bet you two shots that if you drink those two shots you'll have the OTHER eye be dominant! And I'll be the weaker player on the table...sooo...CAN I GET THE 7 OUT!?
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#12)
mindtriplx
AzB Silver Member
mindtriplx has a reputation beyond reputemindtriplx has a reputation beyond reputemindtriplx has a reputation beyond reputemindtriplx has a reputation beyond reputemindtriplx has a reputation beyond reputemindtriplx has a reputation beyond reputemindtriplx has a reputation beyond reputemindtriplx has a reputation beyond reputemindtriplx has a reputation beyond reputemindtriplx has a reputation beyond reputemindtriplx has a reputation beyond repute
 
mindtriplx's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 404
vCash: 500
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NJ
  Send a message via AIM to mindtriplx  
11-21-2006, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLICKit
I have the same issue, except I am opposite handed and dominant eyed. One short term solution that I received was to simply make a slight turn in your head (so that your dominant eye is closer to the target, while the non-dominant eye is slightly back and off). This will actually move your dominant eye over the stick. One of the best ways to understand how slight a head turn is necessary to accomplish this, is simply to close the non-dominant eye briefly. Now, when you turn your head you will be able to see when you eye is above the stick and lined up to the target.

This solution also showed me that I previously had a problem with my stick alignment being consistently pointed off, instead of aligned to the target. Correcting the stick alignment along with the head adjustment opened up new targeting accuracy.

i had the same prob. i would think my stick is pointing somewhere and i always shot the ball in to the same part of the rail and it always had right spin. it drove me nutz. i even tried playing lefty. holding the cue and the stance came so natural that way. to bad i couldnt stroke or make a ball.


"Where we have strong emotions, we're liable to fool ourselves."
- Carl Sagan
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#13)
tigerallenyim
Hate has no home here
tigerallenyim has a reputation beyond reputetigerallenyim has a reputation beyond reputetigerallenyim has a reputation beyond reputetigerallenyim has a reputation beyond reputetigerallenyim has a reputation beyond reputetigerallenyim has a reputation beyond reputetigerallenyim has a reputation beyond reputetigerallenyim has a reputation beyond reputetigerallenyim has a reputation beyond reputetigerallenyim has a reputation beyond reputetigerallenyim has a reputation beyond repute
 
tigerallenyim's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 472
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
 Send a message via ICQ to tigerallenyim Send a message via AIM to tigerallenyim Send a message via MSN to tigerallenyim Send a message via Yahoo to tigerallenyim Send a message via Skype™ to tigerallenyim 
11-21-2006, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRick_PCS
It is personal preferance; whatever makes you feel confortable. I saw a pretty fine article by Sammy Diep involving eye dominance: http://www.azbilliards.com/sammdiep/samm1.cfm .
Myself, for example, I use both of my eyes for sighting a shot. As far as stance is concerned, my recommendation is that your whole arm should be at more-or-less a foot away from your torso and your head should move into your cue. Wanna see fine examples of stances, look at Allison Fisher and (for you definately johndagolfer) Kim Shaw's stance and she's a fine example of left eye dominance.

Cheers and good luck on your billiards
exactly. If u've got Tivo or something similar, watch the 2006 Cuetec Cues US Open Nine-ball Finals - Allison Fisher vs. Kim Shaw.


"Highly Improbable, but NOT impossible..."

Playing Cue - Viking V105K
Jump Break Cue - J & J

Stowed Away:
Mc Dermott Classic: D-15
Mc Dermott: G-216
Lucasi: D-10
Cuetec: Jump/Break Thunderbolt

TAP-4
APA-5
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#14)
tedkaufman
AzB Silver Member
tedkaufman has a reputation beyond reputetedkaufman has a reputation beyond reputetedkaufman has a reputation beyond reputetedkaufman has a reputation beyond reputetedkaufman has a reputation beyond reputetedkaufman has a reputation beyond reputetedkaufman has a reputation beyond reputetedkaufman has a reputation beyond reputetedkaufman has a reputation beyond reputetedkaufman has a reputation beyond reputetedkaufman has a reputation beyond repute
 
tedkaufman's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 753
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Greenville, SC
   
11-21-2006, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stones
I take it you are right handed and left eye dominate. That is a tough situation. Over the years, I have had two students with this problem. Both switched to playing left handed. It was very awkward and frustrating at first, but both made the transition eventually.
Willie Mosconi, Jim Rempe and Mike Sigel are all cross dominant. Obviously, it is NOT a tough situation.

The aiming confusion happens when a player attempts to mix binocular and dominant eye aiming. If a player sights down the shaft, he must use dominant eye aiming. If he sights from the cueball to the object ball, ignoring where the cue is pointed, he can use binocular aiming (head centered over the shaft, with the shaft falling between the eyes, ie, Allison Fisher).


Cue: Southwest (1992) 6pt cocobolo, Hoppe butt style, birdseye front.
Case: Flowers 4x2
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#15)
TheConArtist
Daddy's A Butcher
TheConArtist has a reputation beyond reputeTheConArtist has a reputation beyond reputeTheConArtist has a reputation beyond reputeTheConArtist has a reputation beyond reputeTheConArtist has a reputation beyond reputeTheConArtist has a reputation beyond reputeTheConArtist has a reputation beyond reputeTheConArtist has a reputation beyond reputeTheConArtist has a reputation beyond reputeTheConArtist has a reputation beyond reputeTheConArtist has a reputation beyond repute
 
TheConArtist's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 1,824
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: May 2005
Location: South Dakota
  Send a message via MSN to TheConArtist Send a message via Yahoo to TheConArtist  
11-23-2006, 05:31 AM

i have the same thing, and i use it to the extent since i first picked up a cue. Holding an object in front of your eyes like your hand for an example, i relax my eyes and i can see two objects now, i am left eye dominant so what i do is use the right object the cueball for my aiming as its the left eye that views the right cueball in the double image, and this is with cue under chin, or even better cue to the left a bit. But it works great for me i don't know if it would for you. I couldn't find a way to fix the double image for me, but don't get me wrong i can focus and just see one cueball.


  
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.