Cue tip too big?
Old
  (#1)
angebones
AzB Bronze Member
angebones is on a distinguished road

vCash: 500

Cue tip too big? - 11-20-2006, 10:17 PM

Hi I recently bought tips to put on my cue and I bought 14mm because I know they say to get a little bigger than the ferrule diameter My shaft is 12.75. The 14mm tip is HUGE and I put it on but how the hell do I get all that excess stuff hanging over the sides? I mean it actually looks like a mushroom

I tried using my ultimate tip tool with its little mushroom shaver but that takes forever (shows how big these tips are)

Old
  (#2)
buddha162
AzB Silver Member
buddha162 has a reputation beyond reputebuddha162 has a reputation beyond reputebuddha162 has a reputation beyond reputebuddha162 has a reputation beyond reputebuddha162 has a reputation beyond reputebuddha162 has a reputation beyond reputebuddha162 has a reputation beyond reputebuddha162 has a reputation beyond reputebuddha162 has a reputation beyond reputebuddha162 has a reputation beyond reputebuddha162 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1275

11-20-2006, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angebones
Hi I recently bought tips to put on my cue and I bought 14mm because I know they say to get a little bigger than the ferrule diameter My shaft is 12.75. The 14mm tip is HUGE and I put it on but how the hell do I get all that excess stuff hanging over the sides? I mean it actually looks like a mushroom

I tried using my ultimate tip tool with its little mushroom shaver but that takes forever (shows how big these tips are)
First of all, STOP with the ultimate tip tool, you will end up scratching your ferrule. They're good for shaping tips, but that mushroom-trimming tool is useless.

There are several ways to do this at home, but I would highly recommend you to spend 10 bucks and go to a local repairman or cuemaker. You'll build a relationship plus get a perfect tip everytime, assuming you find a reputable professional.

-Roger

my cooking/fishing/pool youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVD...VWp8Ufw/videos

Old
  (#3)
SlickRick_PCS
Banned
SlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond reputeSlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond reputeSlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond reputeSlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond reputeSlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond reputeSlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond reputeSlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond reputeSlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond reputeSlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond reputeSlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond reputeSlickRick_PCS has a reputation beyond repute

11-20-2006, 11:37 PM

Quote:

As funny as this quote really is, I really should agree with the enlightened one, buddah, on above forum and just take it to a professional with the right tools and equiptment. The worse thing you can do is to do it by yourself and really mess up your cue. By the time you know it, those few dollars will be well spent and you will be playing as right as rain.

Old
  (#4)
xidica
AzB Silver Member
xidica has a reputation beyond reputexidica has a reputation beyond reputexidica has a reputation beyond reputexidica has a reputation beyond reputexidica has a reputation beyond reputexidica has a reputation beyond reputexidica has a reputation beyond reputexidica has a reputation beyond reputexidica has a reputation beyond reputexidica has a reputation beyond reputexidica has a reputation beyond repute

11-21-2006, 12:16 AM

Agreed, why would you buy a 14mm tip to put on a ferrulle that's just under 13mm (i.e. 12.75)

It would make more sense to buy a 13mm tip in that regard correct?

Furthermore, do you have a lathe? Have you ever tipped a cue?

I don't mean to bash you here but have a professional do it.

If you want to learn to tip cues(and believe me you *can* freehand tip quite decently if you practice a lot).

The best way to do this though, is to buy some cheap 15 dollar walmart stick or something you don't care about, and tip it again and again and again until you actually are "sorta ok" at doing it.

Don't waste your time and money messing up your personal everyday player.

Just my two cents as usual...

Tip Trimmer
Old
  (#5)
rackem
SUPPORT CLUB MEMBERSHIP
rackem has a reputation beyond reputerackem has a reputation beyond reputerackem has a reputation beyond reputerackem has a reputation beyond reputerackem has a reputation beyond reputerackem has a reputation beyond reputerackem has a reputation beyond reputerackem has a reputation beyond reputerackem has a reputation beyond reputerackem has a reputation beyond reputerackem has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

Tip Trimmer - 11-21-2006, 12:40 AM

Quote:

You need one of these and the smarts to figure out how to use it carefully.
Attached Images

What trimmer is that?
Old
  (#6)
xidica
AzB Silver Member
xidica has a reputation beyond reputexidica has a reputation beyond reputexidica has a reputation beyond reputexidica has a reputation beyond reputexidica has a reputation beyond reputexidica has a reputation beyond reputexidica has a reputation beyond reputexidica has a reputation beyond reputexidica has a reputation beyond reputexidica has a reputation beyond reputexidica has a reputation beyond repute

Question What trimmer is that? - 11-21-2006, 12:50 AM

What particular tip trimmer is that, I might be interested in snaggin one. Thanks!

Anybody else seen these.
Old
  (#7)
rackem
SUPPORT CLUB MEMBERSHIP
rackem has a reputation beyond reputerackem has a reputation beyond reputerackem has a reputation beyond reputerackem has a reputation beyond reputerackem has a reputation beyond reputerackem has a reputation beyond reputerackem has a reputation beyond reputerackem has a reputation beyond reputerackem has a reputation beyond reputerackem has a reputation beyond reputerackem has a reputation beyond repute

Anybody else seen these. - 11-21-2006, 01:27 AM

I don't know who makes it. I originally got one at a trade show a few years back. It says ARTEMIS on it. The one pictured I got 5 on ebay a while back. I think they came from Germany?? Its got no markings and is definately cheaper made than mine. They work good you just have to be careful to keep the shaft parallel to the blade. Otherwise you get a very pointy tip!

Old
  (#8)
xidica
AzB Silver Member

11-21-2006, 01:36 AM

Hmmm...I'd like something a little more...well...expensive.

I saw one that was a really nice multiple entry crazy contraption that apparently had just went into production and has a patent on it, friggin thing has like 7 different ways to trim, cut, burnish, etc et al to a tip...

I'll have to ask Scooter at Hawley's billiards what that damn thing was and who makes it. Anyone else know any good tip trimmers?

Old
  (#9)
rackem
SUPPORT CLUB MEMBERSHIP

11-21-2006, 02:02 AM

Joe Porper or I guess Mueller now has the big shaver and the little saver.
My pencil sharpener works just fine. shoot I have a friend who is a cuemaker so I hardly need it. It is also good for touching up a mushroom.

Old
  (#10)
buddha162
AzB Silver Member
buddha162 has a reputation beyond reputebuddha162 has a reputation beyond reputebuddha162 has a reputation beyond reputebuddha162 has a reputation beyond reputebuddha162 has a reputation beyond reputebuddha162 has a reputation beyond reputebuddha162 has a reputation beyond reputebuddha162 has a reputation beyond reputebuddha162 has a reputation beyond reputebuddha162 has a reputation beyond reputebuddha162 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1275

11-21-2006, 02:03 AM

Well, if you have to do it at home, a titanium razor blade (thanks Joey) and some coarse and fine sandpaper does a fabulous job...

But I would much, much rather have it done on a lathe by a pro.

-Roger

my cooking/fishing/pool youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVD...VWp8Ufw/videos

Old
  (#11)
xidica
AzB Silver Member

11-21-2006, 02:08 AM

Yeah, I'll just keep on letting Ben Tubb's do my tip and cue work. Never *ever* had a problem with him.

Old
  (#12)
mr2_serious
BRUTE FORCE BABY!
mr2_serious has a reputation beyond reputemr2_serious has a reputation beyond reputemr2_serious has a reputation beyond reputemr2_serious has a reputation beyond reputemr2_serious has a reputation beyond reputemr2_serious has a reputation beyond reputemr2_serious has a reputation beyond reputemr2_serious has a reputation beyond reputemr2_serious has a reputation beyond reputemr2_serious has a reputation beyond reputemr2_serious has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to mr2_serious  
11-21-2006, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackem
You need one of these and the smarts to figure out how to use it carefully.
looks like a pencil sharpener for those thick pencils back in elementary school

Excellence is not a skill, it's an attitude.

Old
  (#13)
bigpocket
AzB Silver Member
bigpocket has much to be proud ofbigpocket has much to be proud ofbigpocket has much to be proud ofbigpocket has much to be proud ofbigpocket has much to be proud ofbigpocket has much to be proud ofbigpocket has much to be proud ofbigpocket has much to be proud ofbigpocket has much to be proud ofbigpocket has much to be proud of

Send a message via AIM to bigpocket  
11-21-2006, 10:47 AM

If you do your own tips that cool but make sure you buy this tool here in the picture. I do a great job with this one
Attached Images

Old
  (#14)
Handsumm
Banned
Handsumm has a brilliant futureHandsumm has a brilliant futureHandsumm has a brilliant futureHandsumm has a brilliant futureHandsumm has a brilliant futureHandsumm has a brilliant futureHandsumm has a brilliant futureHandsumm has a brilliant futureHandsumm has a brilliant futureHandsumm has a brilliant futureHandsumm has a brilliant future

11-21-2006, 01:22 PM

Although somewhat helpful, the past posts have not given the best information on performing a retip. It isn't very helpful to reply to someone's "How do I.." post with an answer like "take it to somebody." Especially if the task is as simple as shaving off excess leather from a tip.

It IS correct to buy a larger tip to put on a smaller ferrule. What you need to do, is to buy at least 4 or 5 different grits of sand paper. Preferrably, you will want to start with a course sandpaper (60 or 80) to remove the excess leather from the tip. Fold the paper in half (doubling it over) and with your right (or dominant) hand, while holding the cue stick vertically with your other hand, press firmly against the tip and move up and down while pressing against the end of the cue. After you have taken off most, but not all, of the excess (you want to be careful not to scratch the ferrule or shaft) you'll want to go up in grit to a medium like 120 or so and finish off removing excess while making the tip flush with the ferrule. You will also clean off the ferrule and shaft in this process by going up and down much further than you did with the coarse sandpaper. You can remove small scratches and dings with this method also.

After using the medium grit sandpaper and making the tip edge flush with the ferrule, you should go up in grit successively until it is smooth as silk. Go all the way to like 800 or 1000. After all of that, you should burnish the tip with a piece of leather. I like to use Qwiz. Use a very small amount of water (or spit) and put it on the outer edge of the tip.

Some people like to use a polish or shaft cleaner and a very fine cloth or old t-shirt while rubbing vigorously to get a nice smooth glossy finish. Should be like new.

Remember while doing these last few steps to use long strokes and to slowly spin the cue stick in your hand as to not make flat edges on the cue shaft.

Hope this helps (unlike you other guys who say see a professional for this hugely daunting task of using sandpaper.)

Doing cue repair on your own is a cheap, and somewhat fun, way to make sure your cue is in perfect playing condition at all times.

Old
  (#15)
CaptainHook
NOT Mike Sigel
CaptainHook has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainHook has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainHook has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainHook has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainHook has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainHook has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainHook has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainHook has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainHook has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainHook has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainHook has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-21-2006, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmicah
Although somewhat helpful, the past posts have not given the best information on performing a retip. It isn't very helpful to reply to someone's "How do I.." post with an answer like "take it to somebody." Especially if the task is as simple as shaving off excess leather from a tip.

It IS correct to buy a larger tip to put on a smaller ferrule. What you need to do, is to buy at least 4 or 5 different grits of sand paper. Preferrably, you will want to start with a course sandpaper (60 or 80) to remove the excess leather from the tip. Fold the paper in half (doubling it over) and with your right (or dominant) hand, while holding the cue stick vertically with your other hand, press firmly against the tip and move up and down while pressing against the end of the cue. After you have taken off most, but not all, of the excess (you want to be careful not to scratch the ferrule or shaft) you'll want to go up in grit to a medium like 120 or so and finish off removing excess while making the tip flush with the ferrule. You will also clean off the ferrule and shaft in this process by going up and down much further than you did with the coarse sandpaper. You can remove small scratches and dings with this method also.

After using the medium grit sandpaper and making the tip edge flush with the ferrule, you should go up in grit successively until it is smooth as silk. Go all the way to like 800 or 1000. After all of that, you should burnish the tip with a piece of leather. I like to use Qwiz. Use a very small amount of water (or spit) and put it on the outer edge of the tip.

Some people like to use a polish or shaft cleaner and a very fine cloth or old t-shirt while rubbing vigorously to get a nice smooth glossy finish. Should be like new.

Remember while doing these last few steps to use long strokes and to slowly spin the cue stick in your hand as to not make flat edges on the cue shaft.

Hope this helps (unlike you other guys who say see a professional for this hugely daunting task of using sandpaper.)

Doing cue repair on your own is a cheap, and somewhat fun, way to make sure your cue is in perfect playing condition at all times.
I have been in several Cue Makers shops over the years, and they always used a larger Tip. I watched as they put the shaft in the lathe and shaped and burnished the sides of the tip while the shaft was spinning.
That just always amazed me.

Favorite Game: One Pocket
Playing Cue: KC with Predator Vantage Shaft
Break/Jump Cue: J&J with Samsara Tip
Case: John Barton Rugged 2X5 with 3 pockets; http://www.jbcases.com/

NO, I am not Mike Sigel, he is skinny and has less hair, also I do not have any affiliation with GPPA .

Facebook; https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnm...00005109825871

My Cue Gallery: http://forums.azbilliards.com/album.php?albumid=1106

Page 1 of 3 1 23

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: