Phenolic ball Q

terpdad

Registered
I just bought some Cyclop Ladons on eBay. They seem very nice, but at 1st glance aren't that different than the used balls that came w/ my used table. I would have expected to get a cheap set of balls w/ the table, so now I'm wondering how do I tell if a ball is phenolic or a cheapo?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just bought some Cyclop Ladons on eBay. They seem very nice, but at 1st glance aren't that different than the used balls that came w/ my used table. I would have expected to get a cheap set of balls w/ the table, so now I'm wondering how do I tell if a ball is phenolic or a cheapo?
Phenolic balls have a characteristic smell when you rub them hard with your thumb. But just because it is phenolic does not mean it is not cheap.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Good way is to bring them along to your local pool hall, ask some good players to try them out and look at them. Any decent player would be able to tell a cheap set from a good one in 2 minutes.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Usually this is the case. Just open the picture in Paint and use Resize to shrink the picture down to 50% or less.
What if he's using one of those smarty-phone things the kids have? :confused: Can you paint on those?

Bob <-- technology will make things easier -- yeah, right

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
What if he's using one of those smarty-phone things the kids have? :confused: Can you paint on those?

Bob <-- technology will make things easier -- yeah, right

Er, ok

There are about 10 ways to resize an image on a smartphone in the time it took you to post that snark

terpdad

Registered
I re-sized it 3X & it still won't upload. Oh well. I think the set that came w/ my table is probably phenolic & better quality than I expected. My wife has a set of balls (insert joke here) from the table at her last house & those balls are noticeably duller, chipped, etc.

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member
I have a set of Cyclop Ladon balls as well. Can't tell a playing difference between the Dynasphere Tungsten or Arcos 2. However, the Ladon balls 'mark' easier while playing. Seems the Cyclop cue ball gets an extra roll or two also. Could just be me.

They are still nice for the $$$.