8 ball break-fine points

berlowmj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I break with a 21 oz Sledgehammer using a closed bridge from various points on the line aiming at the headball. I have overcome problems with miscuing, scratching, & generally place the CB in the middle of the table. My performance is about the same on bar tables & 9 footers. Occasionally, I sink at least one ball 70-75% of the time, but mostly don't exceed 50%.

I am frusrated by the fact that the rack does not explode at lightening speeds & that 2 or 3 balls often stop within inches of the pockets.

Questions
1. I lengthen my bridge, but lose control if I lengthen it beyond a certain point. What is the ideal minimum & maximum length for the bridge?

2. I am most successful when I feel the follow through. Again, what is the ideal minimum & maximum length of the follow through? I try to stay down rather than raise up.

Other remarks & observations are welcome.

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
When I'm pocketing a ball my eyes are on the object ball when I pull the trigger.
I find I get a more explosive controllable break when I focus on the CB when I pull the trigger. I get one down about half the time, and nearly always get a good spread.
I think this works for me because once I line up the shot, I focus on the point on the CB I want to hit, and this allows me to apply more power to the break.
I use my standard stroke at about 90%, which is about as hard as I can reliably repeatedly hit the same spot on the CB. I'm breaking with a 20 oz Jerico Stinger

McCue Banger McCue

Solartje

the Brunswick BUG bit me
Silver Member
berlowmj said:
I break with a 21 oz Sledgehammer using a closed bridge from various points on the line aiming at the headball. I have overcome problems with miscuing, scratching, & generally place the CB in the middle of the table. My performance is about the same on bar tables & 9 footers. Occasionally, I sink at least one ball 70-75% of the time, but mostly don't exceed 50%.

I am frusrated by the fact that the rack does not explode at lightening speeds & that 2 or 3 balls often stop within inches of the pockets.

Questions
1. I lengthen my bridge, but lose control if I lengthen it beyond a certain point. What is the ideal minimum & maximum length for the bridge?

2. I am most successful when I feel the follow through. Again, what is the ideal minimum & maximum length of the follow through? I try to stay down rather than raise up.

Other remarks & observations are welcome.

read this post. you should find the answer there...(ill give u clue: part 3)

here

StormHotRod300

BigSexy
Silver Member
Berlowmj,

I sometimes get the same results in 8ball. I can crush the rack, squat my cb in the center of the table and not make a single ball, and leave a very open table for my opponent.

Alot of times, i've resorted to a semi-hard cut break, where i hit the head ball, and come off the side rail and have the cb come back into the rack so the cb can break out the rack.

I seen a video on youtube i believe or google, of corey deuel and Niels Fiejen playing 8ball on a bb and both of them were using the 2nd ball break.

berlowmj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To raise up or not?

I have learned the importance of staying down on regular shots. However, everyone seems to raise their bodies on the break. Is it imperative that we do so?