Bruin's Break Shot

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've heard Bruin mention how he likes to open the pack like a flower on more than one occasion. He recently mentioned it again as setting up for a Johnny Ervolino type break on a top ball in the pack. I wasn't sure what angle the should can be approached to make the pack open up the best. I've made three possibilities on a Wei table. Are one of these (A, B or blank cue ball) what you had in mind?

http://CueTable.com/P/?@3ABik4BBJk4...kHDC3kDdw3kByS4lIqJ4lFhy4lCgU3mONP3mJaJ3mELe@

Thanks,
dwhite

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
mine is the filled balls. ervolino used the outlined balls a lot.

Attachments

• 3333.jpg
    3333.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bruin70 said:

OK, so it looks like you want to pop right down on the top of the first ball, rather than coming into it at an angle from the side. I'll have to play around with that one. Thanks!

dwhite

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
that's only if the cb hits the head ball pretty flush or so. if it hits more to the side of the head ball, you always have to be cognizant of the scratch in the bottom side.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
bruin70 said:

Isn't Ervolino's going to hit down a ball from yours?

High english?

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
this is a very controlable shot because you don't need to muscle it.

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
Good shot bruin. I've always liked break shots near the pack in an angle that the cueball will hit one of the top two balls. I can control the cueball easily and I feel that I hardly ever get stuck in the rack. Also a very nice way to break the rack open especially if the balls aren't spreading open too well.

Edit: you make an excellent point in saying that you don't need to muscle it. I don't like shooting break shots too hard.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bruin70 said:

There's a potential scratch cross-side, or even straight into the right side pocket. A touch of inside english is good on this one, IMO.

Lou Figueroa

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
lfigueroa said:
There's a potential scratch cross-side, or even straight into the right side pocket. A touch of inside english is good on this one, IMO.

Lou Figueroa

not on this particular layout. the cb goes almost directly into the head ball. yes if it hits the side and launches into the rail.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bruin70 said:
not on this particular layout. the cb goes almost directly into the head ball. yes if it hits the side and launches into the rail.

Well, in my experience, if you hit this one a tad too hard, there is a potential scratch. But I suppose if you always 100%n of the time hit it absolutely perfect there isn't :)

Lou Figueroa