Looking for Jimmy Mataya Info

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jimmy "Pretty Boy Floyd" Mataya is a colorful figure in the history of American pool, and like most American pool players from his era, there is not much information available.

I would be interested in learning a little biographical information and any other tidbits about Jimmy Mataya.

If you can provide links to other websites, that would be EXTREMELY helpful.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

Please don't use this thread to bash Jimmy Mataya, as I am only interested in factual data that can be referenced and/or sourced.

Oh, yeah. If anybody has any photographs of Jimmy they would like to share that are not the property of somebody else, I'd love it, love it, love it! :D

JAM

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I awalys liked him, last time I saw him was in 93 in Vegas at Cue-Topia, he liked to party and would come into the pool room late night 6 or 7 sheets to the wind, he was a funny guy and well liked there, he made everyone luagh he was the life of the party so to speak-he brought the party with him, he did this morethan once. Reguarding pool he was playing a little here and there but nothing serious, I think he played in the Rum Runner bar box tournys. I know I saw him there too,. He was a colorful guy is right, I left Vegas for LA and never saw him again, not much info but I wanted to help as much as I could.

thinking about it I think he was in town and played in the Huebler cup tournment at the Hacienda-where mandalay bay sits now, infact I know he did we had a piece of him in the calcutta, we didnt do very good on that one, i'm 90% sure on this, the above paragraph is 100% accurate.

Reactions: JAM

daniel

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
they did a nice in depth article on him in the december 2004 edition of inside pool mag. Keith did his column on "Birdman". Says Jimmy is back in Lansing,hanging out at a local poolroom & not playing.

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
JAM said:
Jimmy "Pretty Boy Floyd" Mataya is a colorful figure in the history of American pool, and like most American pool players from his era, there is not much information available.

I would be interested in learning a little biographical information and any other tidbits about Jimmy Mataya.

Please don't use this thread to bash Jimmy Mataya, as I am only interested in factual data that can be referenced and/or sourced.

Oh, yeah. If anybody has any photographs of Jimmy they would like to share that are not the property of somebody else, I'd love it, love it, love it! :D

JAM

This photo is mine but you can use it if you want. I also do not want to see Jimmy bashed. He was a great player and a great friend.

the Beard

Attachments

• 19a  Jim_Mataya.JPG
    19a Jim_Mataya.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 595

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
freddy the beard said:
This photo is mine but you can use it if you want. I also do not want to see Jimmy bashed. He was a great player and a great friend.

the Beard

You are a sweetie pie, Freddy! Thanks so very, very much! :)

Hey, I cannot find my copy of "Playing on the Rail" by David McCumber. I need to find out what page Keith's name comes up on, so that I can use it as a reference source.

I'm working on a weekend project, and I must hurry, as I am racing against the clock, so to speak.

Thanks to all. WOW, what a great picture, Freddy!

JAM

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
daniel said:
they did a nice in depth article on him in the december 2004 edition of inside pool mag. Keith did his column on "Birdman". Says Jimmy is back in Lansing,hanging out at a local poolroom & not playing.

GREAT! I just happen to have that magazine in my collection! :D

This is EXACTLY what I am looking for. Thanks again.

JAM

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
They broke the mold when they made Pretty Boy Floyd. IMO, he is possibly one of the greatest woofers of all time (2nd only to Keith). In my book Stroke of Genius I affectionately referred to Jimmy as the "epitome of all pool playing assholes" due to some run ins that I had with him in the late 80's and early 90's - which by the way pissed me off and cracked me up all at the same time. Jimmy's playing ability is truly a gift - his playing is/was as good as his off the wall personality. IMO, he will go down in history as one of the greatest players of all time - as will his buddy Larry Lisciotti. Jimmy's uniqueness has also been a double edged sword - for example - last year at the World 14.1 Championships where he left everybody shaking their heads - he would shoot the 5 ball on every shot no matter where it was or whether it was playable - no reason aparrantly - perhaps he held a grudge against the damn thing - you just have to know that to Jimmy it somehow made sense. :) - Love him or hate him, he is one of the most colorful personalities the game has ever seen and he is ALWAYS entertaining to watch, to be around, and to talk to.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blackjack said:
They broke the mold when they made Pretty Boy Floyd. IMO, he is possibly one of the greatest woofers of all time (2nd only to Keith). In my book Stroke of Genius I affectionately referred to Jimmy as the "epitome of all pool playing assholes" due to some run ins that I had with him in the late 80's and early 90's - which by the way pissed me off and cracked me up all at the same time. Jimmy's playing ability is truly a gift - his playing is/was as good as his off the wall personality. IMO, he will go down in history as one of the greatest players of all time - as will his buddy Larry Lisciotti. Jimmy's uniqueness has also been a double edged sword - for example - last year at the World 14.1 Championships where he left everybody shaking their heads - he would shoot the 5 ball on every shot no matter where it was or whether it was playable - no reason aparrantly - perhaps he held a grudge against the damn thing - you just have to know that to Jimmy it somehow made sense. :) - Love him or hate him, he is one of the most colorful personalities the game has ever seen and he is ALWAYS entertaining to watch, to be around, and to talk to.

Thanks so much for the info. Can you post a little more information about your book, "Stroke of Genius"? AND, if applicable, the ISBN number and what page number Jimmy's name comes up on.

Thanks in advance, Blackjack! :)

JAM

Donovan

A little security, goes..
Silver Member
I wish I could remember the year (it was in the early 80's), he made the very funny video How to Hustle and Not Get Hustled with Danny Medina. I am sure if you email him, you might get some good, first-person information.

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
I have a accustats tape 5/23/91 , McDermott Masters VII Finals in Las Vegas , Earl Strickland(13) Jim Mataya(10) , probably info of no use to you but threw it in anyhow.

Kev

Craig Fales

Registered bubinga user
Silver Member
Donovan said:
I wish I could remember the year (it was in the early 80's), he made the very funny video How to Hustle and Not Get Hustled with Danny Medina. I am sure if you email him, you might get some good, first-person information.
I used to have that tape...funny stuff...

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
His Zodiac sign is Libra.

His first date with Ewa was to a Baseball game and if I remember well it was to Yankee Stadium in NY.

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what I've heard and read

Indeed he seems to have been one of the colorful characters in pool's history...I was fascinated by the story in "Playing off the Rail" about him getting kicked out of a Reno (?) tournament, and then proceeding to hock everything, and putting all the money together that he could get his hands on, and betting it all on some off-the-wall football game...and how if he lost, he would have really been in deep trouble...but HE WON, and invited everyone later to a party....that says a lot about the way he thinks and lives...supposedly he was Minnesota Fat's protege...seems they went on the road together? I do remember a video where he defeats Earl in a Vegas tournament, and he was really shooting good......

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM said:
Hey, I cannot find my copy of "Playing on the Rail" by David McCumber. I need to find out what page Keith's name comes up on, so that I can use it as a reference source.

JAM

First mention I can find, is on page 263, at Hard Times, prior to the Reno tournament. Keith's name is mentioned with Archer, Strickland, and Hall. First paragraph, line eight.

ajrack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Old days

Back in Vegas (70's), at the Classic Club, out on West Sahara, there was a phone number taped to the register. If anyone came into the room looking for a game call this number. It was the home phone number of "Monk" , Billy Incardonna, and Mataya!

I once backed Jimmy against "Gene the Pimp" in Vegas. He was giving Gene > the wild 5 and last two, Race to 6, ($500), on a bar box in a downtown bar. He sure made it interesting going down to the last game in each set for the win.

Back in Long Beach Cal, Paramount Billiards, (early 70's) there was a tournament held, where Jimmy first came out to the West coast. He walked in wearing a bright green sports coat and was quite a sight. Ronnie Allen tried to get him to play one pocket or nine ball. All Jimmy would play him was a game of straight pool for $400. Jimmy wins the game and Ronnie starts woofing at him to play some one pocket or nine ball because it is a faster game. Jimmy simply says " That last game didn't take too long!" The crowd loved it!

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I recall Jimmy coming in to the pool room I hung out in East Detroit as a teen a few times looking to play 9-ball. This was about 1970-1971. I think he was with stakehorse Tom Armstrong a few times but I could be mistaken. His brother, John, is a complete trip in the poolroom also.

Martin

JAM said:

JAM

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My fellow AzB-ers, you are the BEST! :)

The links of pictures, videos, and tidbits of Jimmy Mataya is exactly what I need. Interestingly, Jimmy began playing bumper pool as a young'n and eventually conquered the game, which is what piqued his interest in pocket billiard games as he grew up. I have found this to be a common trait with several other players of this era. Bumper pool must have been popular. I don't hear of very many people playing it today.

It seems like in modern times, you can't just write about somebody without backing it up with references and sources. There is not much archival history in the way of American pool players from this era.

I had never realized before how important Accu-Stats, pool mags, and even pool-related forums like AzBilliards can be in this area. Trying to obtain biographical and/or historical details about some of these players, like Jimmy, is difficult and time consuming. It's a dirty job, but somebody's gotta do it -- in fact, somebody must do it.

Jimmy Mataya is just one player, but there are others who I would consider as legendary people of American pool, and by George, a record must be made before it is too late. JMHO, FWIW!

JAM