Simple Tactics #4: Don't Cover Your Threats

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Here's a situation from the final of the World 14.1 Championship final match between Ortmann and See. Huidji See made an error in tactical conceptualization here and it proved costly, as you'll see. Obviously, it's tough to reproduce a straight pool layout precisely, but here's my best guess at it. Just in case it's not clear from the second diagram, the five in the corner was very difficult and not a shot worth playing. The moral of the story here is don't cover your threats.

Attachments

• covering threats.jpg
    covering threats.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 617
Last edited:

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
sjm,
Wow, that was a very surprising turn of events. My usual Wednesday opponent would just laugh/gloat at me before sending me downtable to deal with that mess if I was the one that made it.

Did it take Ortmann very long to make the shot, or did he spring to the table after See covered up his threat? I'm guessing he was smiling inside.

Ever since a session with a straight pool scholar (some guy named sjm), I have always tried to make another threat with each safety if possible; and CERTAINLY try to avoid futzing up the threats already manufactured. It is a great game, that certainly involves more than ball pocketing (though, dang, I wish I could pocket like those guys).

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
I may be a banger, but it seems obvious to me to punch the 5 to the side pocket (to serve as an additional threat) and let the CB freeze right to the 9/4. A slight bit of follow would keep the 15 from being a threat.

CueTable Help

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
I agree with mosconiac , that looks by the diagram to be a routine safety using the 5. But if that 5 ball does pass the 4 ball to that top left corner of the diagram then I might have been shooting, the 15 looks as if it could be cut in and certainly banked, the 1 ball looks like it goes up the long rail, those offensive moves would have looked better to me then getting into a safety battle with Mr. Ortmann .

Last edited:

cuetable

Line Up Your Best Shot!
Silver Member
mosconiac said:
I may be a banger, but it seems obvious to me to punch the 5 to the side pocket (to serve as an additional threat) and let the CB freeze right to the 9/4. A slight bit of follow would keep the 15 from being a threat.

I was there watching this together with SJM. The CB might be a little bit further down and the shot on the 5 was not available.

Both guys can pocket balls really well over long distance.. :)

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Yeah, I may have dogged the diagram, but the one I've provided is plenty good enough to make my point, which is that covering your threats while playing defense is bad pool.

PoolSharkAllen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sjm said:
Yeah, I may have dogged the diagram, but the one I've provided is plenty good enough to make my point, which is that covering your threats while playing defense is bad pool.
sjm,
Going back to the first diagram, how would you have played the safety? :eek:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
PoolSharkAllen said:
sjm,
Going back to the first diagram, how would you have played the safety? :eek:

As others have suggested, it's best to play the safe off the five, but the real point here is that if you thin the fifteen, leave it in play into the bottom corner and you'll have played a decent safety.

AuntyDan

/* Insert skill here */
Silver Member
Also, to be fair, Huidji may have seen this possibility and have intended to leave the 15 further out from the rail on his safety but just didn't control it quite well enough.

But this is overall a great point, I get caught out a lot by playing a convenient short safety behind the rack and having my opponent reply by leaving the cue ball way down the other end. Give I lack the skill of an Ortmann even if a ball like the 15 were available it's not an easy shot for me, especially if the cue ball is close on the head rail.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
SJM, your point is well made and understood. Even if Huidji had left the one and fifteen uncovered wouldn't they still have had to exchange serveral more safeties in order to determine who ultimately achieved table control. No telling how it would have worked out.

Been quite a while since I've played straight pool regularly. But for a more agressive safety, what do you think about rolling up and freezing the cue ball between the six and the nine ball, letting either the 10 or the 13 ball get to the rail? Maybe too agressive?

Jim

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
AuntyDan said:
Also, to be fair, Huidji may have seen this possibility and have intended to leave the 15 further out from the rail on his safety but just didn't control it quite well enough.

AD,
On such shots, control of the object ball destinations is JUST as important as control of the cue ball destination (which I believe is one of the points that sjm is trying to make). In this scenario, controlling the ball would be relatively easy IF it was considered.

I know that top instructors like Mark Wilson, Jerry Briesath, and Joe Tucker all include drills to practice control of the object ball. It is a necessary skill for all games; and something a LOT of proficient players fail to develop as highly as their other skills. I'll bet the SPF crowd thinks so also.:)

Last edited:

Solartje

the Brunswick BUG bit me
Silver Member
i would have banked the 10 to the lower middle pocket. :)
aim to touch as much as u can of the 10, and it will go in. try it.