New High Run!

Mark44

Registered
Had to share with you guys. I had a new high run this morning...97! i was so close to 100 I could taste it. My arms were starting to shake a little and my mind was running everywhere because I knew my set milestone was within grasp. Then.....the worst thing I could have done happened. I made my next ball and drew the cue ball in the side pocket!! I saw the cue ball heading towards the side pocket and I began praying for something to fall from the ceiling to shift the cue ball from it's path...that didn't happen. Instead, I saw the cue ball fall off the slate into the hole that ended my run. I can't complain though. i played well and destroyed my previous high of 60. i had told myself that I wanted to hit 100 this winter....looks like I'm raising my ante to 150!! Man I love this game!!
PS. That sad face before "new high run" should be smiling....I'm a new hand at this posting thing!

Last edited:

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Congratulations! Get back out there and just keep running balls - you'll get over that hump sooner or later! Good luck!

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
take it from the worst straight pool player in the world-me, you'll get there soon since you got that close you wont dog it next time, i wish i could play straight pool. I cant run 10 balls but I can break and run 4 on a great day playing 9B.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Awesome! 2 racks higher than the old one. Did you discover something that made enabled you to make that big jump?

Mark44

Registered
CreeDo said:
Awesome! 2 racks higher than the old one. Did you discover something that made enabled you to make that big jump?
Nothing in particular. I took a break from pool for about three months and recently started shooting with a different cue. The new cue has a much stiffer and precise hit to it and I think that just gave me the extra confidence I needed.

jgpool

Cue ball draw with this?
Silver Member
Great run

Mark44 said:
Had to share with you guys. I had a new high run this morning...97! i was so close to 100 I could taste it. My arms were starting to shake a little and my mind was running everywhere because I knew my set milestone was within grasp. Then.....the worst thing I could have done happened. I made my next ball and drew the cue ball in the side pocket!! I saw the cue ball heading towards the side pocket and I began praying for something to fall from the ceiling to shift the cue ball from it's path...that didn't happen. Instead, I saw the cue ball fall off the slate into the hole that ended my run. I can't complain though. i played well and destroyed my previous high of 60. i had told myself that I wanted to hit 100 this winter....looks like I'm raising my ante to 150!! Man I love this game!!
PS. That sad face before "new high run" should be smiling....I'm a new hand at this posting thing!

That was a great run. That's about 3 times my best. I'm jealous, I guess I should be on the table as opposed to typing this. :D Nice going!! I have a question for you. When you drew the ball back on your 98 shot where you thinking about playing position to get to the magic 100 or were playing position as you were playing the other 97 shots? Frame of mind is what I am after. Was something different? I like to study why the player misses?

Jimmy M.

Insomniac
Silver Member
I've run so many 80-somethings and 90-somethings without getting to 100 it's a joke. I remember the first time that I ran 100. I thought, "here we go! I'll be doing this every other day now!" Meanwhile, I probably didn't run 100 again for another 6 months. :)

It's all part of the progression ... or so they tell me. ;)

Jack Madden

John Madden Cues
Silver Member
Mark44 said:
Had to share with you guys. I had a new high run this morning...97! i was so close to 100 I could taste it.Man I love this game!!

Yep, your hooked just like the rest of us:D Congrats and like the cards say "wish you many many more".

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
I know what you mean, Jimmy. Every once in a while I get in a pretty good groove and I am able to run hundreds frequently. This is not one of those times - :confused: . I ran a pretty good 63 last night, I ran 73 on Saturday. High numbers will win you matches, but the little ones add up too. There is more to the game than just high runs - you have to be smart - and you must be keen on your strategy. That is why I love Stu's posts on strategy and safeties, and Steve Lipsky's posts on the entire game.

Mark44

Registered
jgpool said:
That was a great run. That's about 3 times my best. I'm jealous, I guess I should be on the table as opposed to typing this. :D Nice going!! I have a question for you. When you drew the ball back on your 98 shot where you thinking about playing position to get to the magic 100 or were playing position as you were playing the other 97 shots? Frame of mind is what I am after. Was something different? I like to study why the player misses?
Not that I want to relive this shot but I'll bite :) I was actually trying to set up my next break shot. I didn't have any decent key balls and I had to manufacture a break shot and I didn't have an opportunity to do so until the end of the rack. After I nudged my break ball into place I had one ball left to get on my key ball. I got almost dead straight on my key ball and had to draw to the side rail and back out for a nice break shot on the next rack. Unfortunately I hit the key ball a little on the right side instead of full in the face and it caused the cue ball to come back towards the side pocket rather than straight back and rebounding off the rail.....unfortunate, but lesson learned.

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Excellent job

Remember to focus on executing the current shot

Believe it - achieve it