Predator 3k1 + Universal

Kimmo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello all,

I play with an old Predator 3k1 with a 314+sniper....and it has worked fine...no complaints really. However, recently I tried the Universal shaft with my friends cue and REALLY liked it....so I wanted to try Universal LS for my own cue...
Now it turns out that the Predator Cues are NOT Uni-lock as I always thought they were...but something else...
An adapter for Predator-butt and Universal doesn't seem to exist (due to Predator owning patent on that particular type of a joint and not licensing it to the makers of Universal???).

Please say I am wrong and tell me there's an adapter out there available for my cue as well??

cheers,
Kimmo

cardsfan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kimmo said:
Hello all,

I play with an old Predator 3k1 with a 314+sniper....and it has worked fine...no complaints really. However, recently I tried the Universal shaft with my friends cue and REALLY liked it....so I wanted to try Universal LS for my own cue...
Now it turns out that the Predator Cues are NOT Uni-lock as I always thought they were...but something else...
An adapter for Predator-butt and Universal doesn't seem to exist (due to Predator owning patent on that particular type of a joint and not licensing it to the makers of Universal???).

Please say I am wrong and tell me there's an adapter out there available for my cue as well??

cheers,
Kimmo

O.K., you're wrong.:D
Predator cues used the 5/16x14 on the 2k1 and implemented the Uni-Loc with the 3k1 to current cues. The Universal Smart Shaft LS "does" have a Uni-Loc adapter AND a 5/16x14 and every other joint size made.

So you shouldn't have any problems using a USS LS with your 3k1.

Best,
Mike

Kimmo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cardsfan said:
O.K., you're wrong.:D
Predator cues used the 5/16x14 on the 2k1 and implemented the Uni-Loc with the 3k1 to current cues. The Universal Smart Shaft LS "does" have a Uni-Loc adapter AND a 5/16x14 and every other joint size made.

So you shouldn't have any problems using a USS LS with your 3k1.

Best,
Mike

I wish I was.....I took my cue to this friend of mine (cue maker/seller/fixerupper etc) and he tried the various adapters....and came to conclusion that it's not uniloc but rather something called 'quick-lock' ...

he said he'd look into it more and try to find a solution....but nothing yet :(

Kimmo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cardsfan said:
but your 314 fits, and its a Uni-Loc shaft, right?
my 314 fits because it came with the cue....so I wouldn't know what joint it has

mr2_serious

BRUTE FORCE BABY!
Silver Member
How bout a picture of the joint? Did you buy the cue brand new...if so it can only be 5/16x14 or a uniloc

Kimmo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hmmm.....maybe the guy I was planning to buy from tried with the wrong adapter then and thought was using the uniloc.....unlikely though since unilock is different from almost all of the others...
I think I just pay him a visit and take a look myself..

cheers,
Kimmo

PS. Thanks for the offer Greg, I bought my JB from you a while back and wouldn't mind doing business again but I am in Holland so I have to figure out something otherwise the shipping/customs will get me and the price will skyrocket even if the dollar is low at the moment.

John Barton

There is something quite funny and ironic about a thread that is about attaching a Universal shaft to a Predator butt over the stock Predator shaft when the shaft is supposed to be the whole thing.

Kimmo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
tell me about it :)
Personally I just invested 'big' money (for me at the time) in Predator3k1 years back...and got used to it. Now I see no need to buy a whole new cue as the butt for 3k1 is still fine...so getting just a shaft is perfectly fine.
Although I have to admit that there's some sweet irony there!

Greg9Ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Kimmo. Thanks for your business!

I like the 314-2 shaft a lot more than I liked the original 314 shaft. The first generation 314 shaft had low deflection, but I was never crazy about "the hit." The hit of the 314-2 is excellent. The Universal Smart shaft vs. the 314-2 shaft is a toss up for me. Both are a significant upgrade over the original 314.

Recent Universal Smart Shaft adapters have labels on them. The adapter should say "ADU" right on it if it is for a Uniloc joint. If the adapter is an older model, it might not have anything on it.

If you get desperate, we can always send it via US Mail in a padded envelope, though I understand it will be less expensive and more convenient if you can get it locally.

Good luck!