Bar Box Cues...

wild west

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sometimes when i go to the local beer joint for the weekly 8 ball tournament, playing with a "Mud Ball", i find myself wondering if their would be a better cue/tip combo. that would work better on a Bar Box and Mud Ball. I play with a Southwest (Franklin).
...I need opinions and advise. So here is the Question...

....What is the best type of cue, tip and weight...when playing on a bar box with a mud ball?

-W

LoGiC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would think your usual playing cue would be the best option, since its the cue you are most used too. The mud ball being heavier/larger should change the way you think of playing the game, not the equipment used(ironic, since a different QB and table are being used...). With it being heavier, drawing it could become an issue. My game plan would then be to use primarily the natural english, and follow shots and avoid using draw if necessary. Just keep in mind its going to go farther than a normal cue ball since its heavier and will have a little more momentum.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
shafts

wild west said:
Sometimes when i go to the local beer joint for the weekly 8 ball tournament, playing with a "Mud Ball", i find myself wondering if their would be a better cue/tip combo. that would work better on a Bar Box and Mud Ball. I play with a Southwest (Franklin).

....What is the best type of cue, tip and weight...when playing on a bar box with a mud ball?

-W

I have various cues that the additional shafts were made from Predator blanks. I like to spin the ball, and on a bar box I have a harder time controlling the cue ball using a Predator 314 shaft, but I like Predator on 9' tables with a red dot cue ball. I also like a larger diameter shaft, and thicker tips when playing on a bar box. The cue ball seems heavier on a bar box, but the other night someone told me that they were the same weight. I've never weighed a cue ball, but it would be interesting to hear from someone who knows more about this subject.

almarktool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They are heavier in alot of places, however someplaces will have have a cue ball with the same weight as I am told some of them work by magnet and not weight, in order to get them past the ball return

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
Jack Koehler wrote about this in his book The Science of Pocket Billiards. He suggested using a heavier cue than your normal playing cue when playing with the larger, heavier cueball. Something about 1-2 ounces heavier than your normal cue for playing with regulation equipment. The thinking was that you could use your normal stroke, and the additional weight of the cue would offset the loss of speed due to the larger ball, and when english was needed, the heavier cue would drive through the heavy ball better. I tried it, and it works. I just change the weight bolt in the bottom of my cue for the nights we have league on bar boxes with the heavy ball.

ez2h8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shawn Armstrong said:
Jack Koehler wrote about this in his book The Science of Pocket Billiards. He suggested using a heavier cue than your normal playing cue when playing with the larger, heavier cueball. Something about 1-2 ounces heavier than your normal cue for playing with regulation equipment. The thinking was that you could use your normal stroke, and the additional weight of the cue would offset the loss of speed due to the larger ball, and when english was needed, the heavier cue would drive through the heavy ball better. I tried it, and it works. I just change the weight bolt in the bottom of my cue for the nights we have league on bar boxes with the heavy ball.

I would support this suggestion. My typical cue is a Joss around 19.5 ounces. It always felt like I was forcing that big CB around using my cue so I would switch to a 1 piece, heavier house cue and played much better. I thought maybe playing better had to do with using a 1 piece cue or a little thicker tip/shaft diameter. Sounds like the extra weight may play into it as well. Thanks for sharing the info! :)

ez

IbeAnEngineer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wild west said:

-W
If I am playing on a bar box with a mud ball. I use a OB-1 on a Toe-Boy SP. The shaft seems to let me put more juice on the heavy ball. If I am playing on a bar box with a cat-eye or aramith coin op I use the same cue but put a Tiger X-Shaft on it. The OB-1 has a Talisman and the X shaft has a sniper.