Questions about diamond table

cincyman

Banned
I posted this in the Ask a mechanic section and it juyst doesnt get enough traffic soooo i am posting this here: Its pool related so the detectives wont have an argument.

I have a 9 ft diamond pro am bought brand new in november so it alomost a year old. I would say it gets moderate play.
Tha table is in my garage that i turned into a pool room. 20x21 dry wall ceiling carpet, heating and air. It has a few gaps where the garage doors are but they are small.
Now to my question i have a humidity gauge out there and it generally stays between 40 and 50 percent. On both end rails there are a few spots where the ball will jump off the rail in the air. Its generally in the same spot on both sides of the table.
I checked the cushion and it doesnt seem loose----and some days it is worse than others ----
Why is this. and what can i do to prevent it

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cincyman said:
I posted this in the Ask a mechanic section and it juyst doesnt get enough traffic soooo i am posting this here: Its pool related so the detectives wont have an argument.

I have a 9 ft diamond pro am bought brand new in november so it alomost a year old. I would say it gets moderate play.
Tha table is in my garage that i turned into a pool room. 20x21 dry wall ceiling carpet, heating and air. It has a few gaps where the garage doors are but they are small.
Now to my question i have a humidity gauge out there and it generally stays between 40 and 50 percent. On both end rails there are a few spots where the ball will jump off the rail in the air. Its generally in the same spot on both sides of the table.
I checked the cushion and it doesnt seem loose----and some days it is worse than others ----

It happens because the point the ball comes in contact with the rail is below the center of the ball. You need a table mechanic to correct this and I would recommend calling your local serious poolroom and seeing if they can recommend someone.

mattman

Silver Member
I am not sure how a diamond is put together, but I have seen this with my Brunswick Gold Crown. Underneath the cushion are bolt holes that fasten the slate down. I have been told by numerous people, including my mechanic, that they generally do not put filler in. Since they are under the cushion, why should they?....is what they say. Anyway, if you shoot a fast bank the ball sinks into that hole and pops out. Seeing that yours does it only from time to time, it doesn't sound like this could be a problem, but just trying to think of a possibility.

Mattman

cincyman

Banned
Jude Rosenstock said:
It happens because the point the ball comes in contact with the rail is below the center of the ball. You need a table mechanic to correct this and I would recommend calling your local serious poolroom and seeing if they can recommend someone.
lol well i appreciate your help,,i bought the table new from diamond and they installed it so why would only mine and not any other diamond do this. I have chacked the height and they are all the same. When the humidity is a little higher it is worse so it has to be something with the rubber or the cloth. just wondering if anyone else has had this happen under these circumstances?

sly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cincyman said:
lol well i appreciate your help,,i bought the table new from diamond and they installed it so why would only mine and not any other diamond do this. I have chacked the height and they are all the same. When the humidity is a little higher it is worse so it has to be something with the rubber or the cloth. just wondering if anyone else has had this happen under these circumstances?
hey cincy
i would say its humidity,in garageplus cement floor,when the table is exposed for long periods of time it tends to sink in. try getting an electric baseboard heater,put it under your table, i've installed them under snooker tables permanently with chains hanging close up near slates,the tables play very fast,humidity is a tables worst enemy,cushions tend to throw alot more on rainy days.
hope this helps

cincyman

Banned
sly said:
hey cincy
i would say its humidity,in garageplus cement floor,when the table is exposed for long periods of time it tends to sink in. try getting an electric baseboard heater,put it under your table, i've installed them under snooker tables permanently with chains hanging close up near slates,the tables play very fast,humidity is a tables worst enemy,cushions tend to throw alot more on rainy days.
hope this helps
My father and i just got done playing while it was raining and wow did the balls jump all over. Thanks for the suggestion, my dad brought over a dehumidifier to try and i have a friend with a billiard table heater so maybe i will try that.
My only question is why dont more table i play on act like that? Is is the small enclosed space maybe?

Tim5000

Silver Member
After being in the heating & air business for 25 years I can tell you that 40 to 50% humidity is somewhat above normal. You need to keep it at 30-35% year-round. This means a dehumidifier in the summer and a humidifier in the winter. If your in Cincy (I'm in Cincy also) these units are a necessity.

Even if the humidity is not causing your rail problem, improper humidy will eventually damage your wood, structure and integrity. I'd get the best digital humidity gauge you can find and keep it in that room. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

cincyman

Banned
Tim5000 said:
After being in the heating & air business for 25 years I can tell you that 40 to 50% humidity is somewhat above normal. You need to keep it at 30-35% year-round. This means a dehumidifier in the summer and a humidifier in the winter. If your in Cincy (I'm in Cincy also) these units are a necessity.

Even if the humidity is not causing your rail problem, improper humidy will eventually damage your wood, structure and integrity. I'd get the best digital humidity gauge you can find and keep it in that room. Just my 2 cents.
My dad is in the heating and air business and i have a digital gauge the problem is i need a thermostat that i can just set to a temperature and have it heat or cool as necessary. If you are in cincy then you know but what is hurting is one day i got the heat on and the next i got the air on i cant be out there in the middle of the night to set it.
I have had a table for my whole life and never had the humidity change the way it plays that much though

Tim5000

Silver Member
Cincyman, they make a thermostat for exactly that situation. It's called an auto-changeover. You can set it for heat temperature AND for cooling temperature. It will then switch from heat to cool as needed. You never have to touch it. It will probably cost you about $150-$250 if you install it yourself.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cincyman said:

I had the same setup with a GC3 years ago and had similar problems, what I did since I knew I was keeping the box permantly in my home(I rented that house). I just framed up a wall put R-30 insulation and 5/8" sheet rock, taped, mudded it painted it and I had a real room it lost the garage feel and the conditions were perfect, the garage door just ruined the whole room so framing infront of it solved the problem, when i meved a few years later the wall came out easilly because i didnt shoot it into the floor just the lid and side walls. it cost me a couple hundred in 88 for that wall.

cincyman

Banned
Fatboy said:
I had the same setup with a GC3 years ago and had similar problems, what I did since I knew I was keeping the box permantly in my home(I rented that house). I just framed up a wall put R-30 insulation and 5/8" sheet rock, taped, mudded it painted it and I had a real room it lost the garage feel and the conditions were perfect, the garage door just ruined the whole room so framing infront of it solved the problem, when i meved a few years later the wall came out easilly because i didnt shoot it into the floor just the lid and side walls. it cost me a couple hundred in 88 for that wall.
I do have the room insulated and taped and drywalled. I wish i could take the garage doors off because that is where the extra weather is coming from the gaps. But taking the doors off and putting walls up is not an option (not good for resale people want a garage not a pool room). But Yes i do have the room completely insulated, drywalled, heated and aired, I have duck work ran and return air cut. I even drywalled the ceiling and insulated above that.