Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page AZ help !!! Shooting off the rail ???

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
AZ help !!! Shooting off the rail ???
Old
  (#1)
doubleteersc
AzB Silver Member
doubleteersc is a jewel in the roughdoubleteersc is a jewel in the roughdoubleteersc is a jewel in the roughdoubleteersc is a jewel in the rough

vCash: 500

AZ help !!! Shooting off the rail ??? - 10-18-2007, 03:33 PM

Ok ... I so I play a lot of one pocket and at times I find myself shooting off the rail with long table length shots. I'm having a problem missing them though. Usually to the long side. I have a solid bridge on the rail, level cue , and "choke up on the cue to shorten my stroke as well as just trying to roll the ball.
Now I also have a problem making shots when I roll them. I dont like to roll the ball to the hole and I know that sometimes in 1 hole thats the best choice.
So what areas of correcting this problem of making ball when softly rolling them would you trouble shoot to correct the problem??

"One pocket- It's an Epidemic and there ain't no cure!" - Melvin "Strawberry" Brooks ... RIP

Old
  (#2)
Gerry
AzB Silver Member
Gerry has a reputation beyond reputeGerry has a reputation beyond reputeGerry has a reputation beyond reputeGerry has a reputation beyond reputeGerry has a reputation beyond reputeGerry has a reputation beyond reputeGerry has a reputation beyond reputeGerry has a reputation beyond reputeGerry has a reputation beyond reputeGerry has a reputation beyond reputeGerry has a reputation beyond repute

10-18-2007, 03:36 PM

Jim Rempe has the best advise for this problem....Do your normal preshot routine only when getting ready to shoot....look at the cueball LAST! not the object ball.

this also works well when shooting over a ball....
Gerry

No short term memory and no expectation!=Dead stroke!

Well...
Old
  (#3)
Ky Boy
AzB Silver Member
Ky Boy has a reputation beyond reputeKy Boy has a reputation beyond reputeKy Boy has a reputation beyond reputeKy Boy has a reputation beyond reputeKy Boy has a reputation beyond reputeKy Boy has a reputation beyond reputeKy Boy has a reputation beyond reputeKy Boy has a reputation beyond reputeKy Boy has a reputation beyond reputeKy Boy has a reputation beyond reputeKy Boy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

Well... - 10-18-2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleteersc
Ok ... I so I play a lot of one pocket and at times I find myself shooting off the rail with long table length shots. I'm having a problem missing them though. Usually to the long side. I have a solid bridge on the rail, level cue , and "choke up on the cue to shorten my stroke as well as just trying to roll the ball.
Now I also have a problem making shots when I roll them. I dont like to roll the ball to the hole and I know that sometimes in 1 hole thats the best choice.
So what areas of correcting this problem of making ball when softly rolling them would you trouble shoot to correct the problem??
you should be extremely sure that you are stroking straight and following through. Alot of people tend to not follow through on soft slow roll shots. They think by using a punch or soft hit is the key. This could not be farther from the truth. On the rail shots are actually some of my most consistent shots to make.

Gary

Old
  (#4)
Neil
AzB Silver Member
Neil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2200

10-18-2007, 03:39 PM

Last edited by Neil; 07-27-2012 at 09:26 PM.

Old
  (#5)
doubleteersc
AzB Silver Member
doubleteersc is a jewel in the roughdoubleteersc is a jewel in the roughdoubleteersc is a jewel in the roughdoubleteersc is a jewel in the rough

10-18-2007, 03:42 PM

But does'nt the path of the object ball change with the speed that you hit it ? I seem to get a very "true" path using dead center ball and a firm hit but then I do the same thing aim the same way and just "soften" the speed and the ball doesnt seem to take the same path ??

"One pocket- It's an Epidemic and there ain't no cure!" - Melvin "Strawberry" Brooks ... RIP

Old
  (#6)
Ky Boy
AzB Silver Member
Ky Boy has a reputation beyond reputeKy Boy has a reputation beyond reputeKy Boy has a reputation beyond reputeKy Boy has a reputation beyond reputeKy Boy has a reputation beyond reputeKy Boy has a reputation beyond reputeKy Boy has a reputation beyond reputeKy Boy has a reputation beyond reputeKy Boy has a reputation beyond reputeKy Boy has a reputation beyond reputeKy Boy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

10-18-2007, 03:46 PM

Quote:
But does'nt the path of the object ball change with the speed that you hit it ? I seem to get a very "true" path using dead center ball and a firm hit but then I do the same thing aim the same way and just "soften" the speed and the ball doesnt seem to take the same path ??

Yeah, when you hit a ball soft you tend to get less of a forward push on the object ball. Just practice it.

Gary

Old
  (#7)
Neil
AzB Silver Member
Neil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2200

10-18-2007, 04:03 PM

Last edited by Neil; 07-27-2012 at 09:26 PM.

Old
  (#8)
whitewolf
AzB Silver Member
whitewolf has a reputation beyond reputewhitewolf has a reputation beyond reputewhitewolf has a reputation beyond reputewhitewolf has a reputation beyond reputewhitewolf has a reputation beyond reputewhitewolf has a reputation beyond reputewhitewolf has a reputation beyond reputewhitewolf has a reputation beyond reputewhitewolf has a reputation beyond reputewhitewolf has a reputation beyond reputewhitewolf has a reputation beyond repute

10-18-2007, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Per Allison Fisher, also bend your left arm if you are right handed. Choking up is good.

If you are not making shots then it is an alignment problem.

A man has got to know his limitations.

Old
  (#9)
doubleteersc
AzB Silver Member

10-18-2007, 06:33 PM

Anyone else have some tips to help me out on this ??

cloth and table roll
Old
  (#10)
ShootingArts
Smorg is giving the 7!
ShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

cloth and table roll - 10-18-2007, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Anyone else have some tips to help me out on this ??
Even "napless" cloth hooks in and out depending on which way you shoot and which way the cloth was put on the table. Before play shoot some very slow table length shots just aiming the cue ball at the corner pockets and trying to stop about six inches short. Closely watch the path all of the way.

It is obvious that shooting slowly brings the cloth and table much more into play however it is easy to overlook this. Things you never notice playing nine ball stick out like a sore thumb playing one pocket. Freddy the Beard does a good job addressing these things in his first book.

Hu

Old
  (#11)
mnShooter
AzB Silver Member
mnShooter has a reputation beyond reputemnShooter has a reputation beyond reputemnShooter has a reputation beyond reputemnShooter has a reputation beyond reputemnShooter has a reputation beyond reputemnShooter has a reputation beyond reputemnShooter has a reputation beyond reputemnShooter has a reputation beyond reputemnShooter has a reputation beyond reputemnShooter has a reputation beyond reputemnShooter has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1820

10-18-2007, 07:58 PM

My way to success off the rail is to make your normal bridge length shorter. If it is 10" or less you can shoot off most rails using the exact same bridge length. 10" may seem long but if you have a longer bridge than that it will seem like it is 4" long. Mark 10" on your cue and make sure your bridge length is that long or a little shorter.

Then when you shoot off the rail use the exact same stance and bridge length. Don't stretch, don't stand closer, do everything the exact same way and it will be just like any other shot.

A shorter bridge also gives more accurate english.

Many people think they can aim better with a long bridge but they lose accuracy because they don't hit the cue ball in the right spot.

Old
  (#12)
cmsmith9
AzB Silver Member
cmsmith9 has a reputation beyond reputecmsmith9 has a reputation beyond reputecmsmith9 has a reputation beyond reputecmsmith9 has a reputation beyond reputecmsmith9 has a reputation beyond reputecmsmith9 has a reputation beyond reputecmsmith9 has a reputation beyond reputecmsmith9 has a reputation beyond reputecmsmith9 has a reputation beyond reputecmsmith9 has a reputation beyond reputecmsmith9 has a reputation beyond repute

10-18-2007, 08:20 PM

ok...someone gave me this piece of advice years ago and has always worked for me......after you strike the cue ball, your cue stick should not extend past the original spot of the cue ball on the rail....so if the cue ball is about an inch off the rail, you should only use about a 3 inch stroke. This will shorten the stroke and give more accuracy.

Also, when on the rail, you might want to try to have the tip touching the felt of the rail, so you hit more of the cue ball. I try to lightly hit the rail when shooting at the cue....or through the rail..

Christian

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: