Lag on the lag ?

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
I run into this guy every few weeks and it really bugs for some reason , I'm not even sure what the 'rule' is but . . .

On the Lag , he waits forever. Most often till after my ball is on the return. Now I find myself waiting extra long to get him to go and then it throws me off even more. Not a huge impact on the match but it really bugs me. Doesn't seem fair either.

Thoughts ?

ukpooladdict

JMW
Silver Member
I'm not sure what the exact ruling is on the lag but on the UK pro Tour we have a rule to stop someone waiting to see where your lag is going to end up, we play that if one person lags before the other then the second lagger must of lagged by the time the first person's ball has crossed the middle pocket lines on the way back.

Franky

woman I said NO!!!
Silver Member
this one's easy

Just out-wait him and have fun with it.

Get into your stance...wait for him to get down...move your feet and bridge around a bit...count to 10...adjust the cueball positon...get up and air-stroke a bit...get back down...line up alongside your cueball and send a practice stroke way out there Bustamante-style and leave your tip on the cloth for a while...clear your throat...etc.

Do it till he stands up. Then back away from the table, pat your face with a towel and powder your hands like Fats in the Hustler. Walk back to the table looking refreshed.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Franky said:
Just out-wait him and have fun with it.

Get into your stance...wait for him to get down...move your feet and bridge around a bit...count to 10...adjust the cueball positon...get up and air-stroke a bit...get back down...line up alongside your cueball and send a practice stroke way out there Bustamante-style and leave your tip on the cloth for a while...clear your throat...etc.

Do it till he stands up. Then back away from the table, pat your face with a towel and powder your hands like Fats in the Hustler. Walk back to the table looking refreshed.
Ya do a Ralph Cramden (spelling?) on the Honeymooners. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QIpnbGJJkM About 3 minutes in.

If he simply shoots after you do I'd not worry about it. If he's waiting for your ball to settle down and judging your/table speed I'd at least shame him with some wise crack comment to see if that stops it.

Last edited:

akaTrigger

Hi!
Silver Member
RRfireblade said:
I run into this guy every few weeks and it really bugs for some reason , I'm not even sure what the 'rule' is but . . .

On the Lag , he waits forever. Most often till after my ball is on the return. Now I find myself waiting extra long to get him to go and then it throws me off even more. Not a huge impact on the match but it really bugs me. Doesn't seem fair either.

Thoughts ?

I've heard and seen a lot of things in pool, but haven't seen someone intentionally do this every time they lag. Seems really weird... and hope you find an answer here in the forums. I have a funny question though - is it working for him?

We flip coins on the couple of tours I play on. I am glad, too. One time I lagged and scratched. It was SO embarrassing! I was like, "uh, so I guess you get the break."

noRulez

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Melinda said:
I've heard and seen a lot of things in pool, but haven't seen someone intentionally do this every time they lag. Seems really weird... and hope you find an answer here in the forums. I have a funny question though - is it working for him?

We flip coins on the couple of tours I play on. I am glad, too. One time I lagged and scratched. It was SO embarrassing! I was like, "uh, so I guess you get the break."

I've lagged on a table that had such bad roll-off that my ball just casually turned into the corner pocket on its way back. We're talking about a foot and a half of roll-off. That wasn't embarrassing...just pissed me off. Anyway, yeah...I'd just screw with his head and out wait him. Knowing me, I'd make a loud comment to everyone around us about it too. :D

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
You're all wrong ...

Sheesh, takes 'Old School' to straighten you young whippersnappers out ...:D :D :D

If a player's ball hits the foot end rail, and the 2nd player has not started his ball, it is a do-over. Both balls must be started before a ball hits the foot end rail. Buy you books and buy you books, and you still get it wrong .... LOL :rolleyes:

akaTrigger

Hi!
Silver Member
noRulez said:
I've lagged on a table that had such bad roll-off that my ball just casually turned into the corner pocket on its way back. We're talking about a foot and a half of roll-off. That wasn't embarrassing...just pissed me off.

I wish mine was a roll-off. :eek:

Njhustler1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two words, coin flip. Although he'd probabl wait until the coin hit the table to call heads or tails. Then you're back to square one.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While I think it's silly to try and lag at the exact same moment, it is considered custom to lag approximately at the same time. However, given the choice, I'd rather be the first to lag and not the second. You're not going to gain any additional information. It won't change your "lagging strategy". If anything, by lagging first, the second person might subconsciously overhit to try and catch-up.

Regardless, freeze it to the headrail every time and nothing else matters.

Bill S

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the lag

RRfireblade said:

Thoughts ?

In The Official Rules of the BCA Pool League rule 1.12 (Lag for Break) states that:

You lose the lag if your ball:
g. is shot after your opponent's ball contacts the foot cushion.

noRulez

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bill S said:
In The Official Rules of the BCA Pool League rule 1.12 (Lag for Break) states that:

You lose the lag if your ball:
g. is shot after your opponent's ball contacts the foot cushion.

So, what's to stop a person from slamming the ball into the head cushion before the other guy has a chance to bat an eye?

juanbond

Software Engineer
Silver Member
I found myself annoyed with a player doing the same sort of thing once... Then I realized that no matter how you slice it, the target is the same. If you wait for the other lag to nearly finish rolling, and lets say it was a bad lag that only made it halfway back (mid-table), so you have more leeway to win the lag...well, that seems to me it could only serve to make you slack off and be closer to coming up short, or long.

In the end, no delaying strategy for lagging has any value, IMO.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
RRfireblade said:
... Thoughts ?
By one set of rules, a slow lag automatically loses. The proposed World Standardized Rules will make it a do-over. If a player is really obnoxious about it, the ref can call unsportsmanlike conduct. I don't think the lag is the time to seek some kind of sly advantage. As Willie Hoppe said, if you freeze the cue ball to the head rail, the worst that can happen is a tie.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
noRulez said:
So, what's to stop a person from slamming the ball into the head cushion before the other guy has a chance to bat an eye?

I like the way you think. Rep for you for understanding that rules are to be played too :D

Dave

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DaveK said:
I like the way you think. Rep for you for understanding that rules are to be played too :D

Dave

I just had to say this - I've been playing competitive pool for years and years now. I know I've logged well over 1,000 matches in leagues and tournaments at this point. I've played in competitions with all types of players from beginners all the way to world champions and I have to say, only a handful of times could the opening break even be considered as to why I won/lost a set.

I think it's good to go over the rules and understand them but to start getting into all the what-ifs is kinda silly. I mean, anyone who tries moves during the lag is just going to look like an idiot.

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
Good thoughts there.

I agree it's mostly sillyness , it's just become a peave of mine since I know he's going to do it everytime. So now I have a hard time not watching him out of the corner of my eye instead of staying on my shot.

Hmm , what if I shoot my lag over to his side of the table before he get's his shot off ?

:D

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RRfireblade said:
Good thoughts there.

I agree it's mostly sillyness , it's just become a peave of mine since I know he's going to do it everytime. So now I have a hard time not watching him out of the corner of my eye instead of staying on my shot.

Hmm , what if I shoot my lag over to his side of the table before he get's his shot off ?

:D

Actually, if someone is going to be a jerk during the lag, you should thank them for the early warning. Check all their racks. Get a ref for every close hit. Be hard-nosed like you would with anyone you think is looking for a way to cheat.