How come I can't stroke with linen wrap cues?

housecue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm in the market to purchase my first cue, I visited many billiard shops and find that most cues are made with linen wraps, and I tried them out and I cant stroke hard without them sliding on my hand. Does anyone have this problem? Or is it just me?

Now I know I need to go wrapless but unfortunately there isn't many good choices. :mad:

BPG24

Banned
housecue said:
I'm in the market to purchase my first cue, I visited many billiard shops and find that most cues are made with linen wraps, and I tried them out and I cant stroke hard without them sliding on my hand. Does anyone have this problem? Or is it just me?

Now I know I need to go wrapless but unfortunately there isn't many good choices. :mad:

I can't stand Linen wraps... They slide out of my hands as well, and gripping the cue tighter is a big mistake...

Either wrapless or Leather/Lizard is the only way to go... And if it is wrapless, it has to be a UV finish or at least a very thick finish on the cue....

Search the For Sale forums here.... There have been several really nice wrapless cues lately... Includind a Beautiful Bob Runde that is under 1K

WesleyW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know what you mean. I've the same problem. That's why mine playing cue has also no linnen. If you want to buy a new one. Go look for a sneaky pete. A lot of them are no wraps.

SPINDOKTOR

lool wtf??
Silver Member
Im not sure what your looking for in a wrapless but I know Dave has one for sale, the link is in my sig, if you go to the site, click on cues for sale, it is the second cue down from the top I believe,It also comes with two shafts, according to Dave..

As far as not being abe to stroke with a wrap, Im assuming you grip the cue very light? this seems to be pretty common actualy, no biggie, just go with a wrapless, or grip the cue a lil tighter, I myself would rather just get a cue that fits my style..

SPINDOKTOR

Shortside K

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wrap...I don't need no stinkeen wrap...

Varney Cues said:
Exact reason I prefer wrapless. 90% of the cues I build are wrapless.

Coming from a snooker background... the first "pool cue" I bought came with a linen wrap... I didn't like it... and still don't really like it even after going thru many different cues...

But... I adapted... it seemed that was the norm and you just got used to it. Later I realized that some cue makers built wrapless cues...
This seemed like what I wanted, but I never pursued it... still playing with a wrap...

I wondered why/how wraps became the norm... me belief is that because of the potential for warping of the butts when a single solid piece of wood was used... the handle sections thus became composited pieces that resisted warping and it was necessary to cover this piece with something... a linen wrap... makes sense to me.

Maybe someday...

TripXQ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wrapless cues

Good morning,
You are more than welcome to check out my website for wrapless cues. What works for one does not work for others always. Linen wrapped cues are much less expensive to make because one uses finer wood for an unwrapped handle. Checkout www.triplecrosscues.com

Thanks in advance for checking me out.
Tom Gedris, Triple Cross Cues:cool:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't stand linen either. I do have one cue with a cork wrap that is worlds better than linen, but I still prefer wrapless.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Varney Cues said:
Exact reason I prefer wrapless. 90% of the cues I build are wrapless.

And your cues are the best bang for the buck...imo. Johnnyt

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
With a name like "Housecue" I can see why you don't like wraps on cues. Personally I don't care if the cue has a wrap or not. I like the looks and feel of cues with leather wraps, as well as wrap less cues. The thing I don't like is the linen material that feels like a cheap Halloween costume, or a Kmart sports Jersey.

Schmohawk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
housecue said:

Me too- Wraps only aid sweaty handed people

sygfrid

alaskador
Silver Member
David Beck said:
That's why I got a linen wrap. Slipstroke.

I too find it easier to do a slipstroke with a linen wrap. Unfortunately, all my cues now are wrapless. Nevertheless, I love the feedback a wrapless cue makes:)

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
cuesblues said:
With a name like "Housecue" I can see why you don't like wraps on cues. Personally I don't care if the cue has a wrap or not. I like the looks and feel of cues with leather wraps, as well as wrap less cues. The thing I don't like is the linen material that feels like a cheap Halloween costume, or a Kmart sports Jersey.

Most cues in the department stores like Kmart or Walmart have a slippery nylon wrap, not a linen wrap.

A GOOD irish linen flax wrap that is put on some custom cues has a very nice feel, but everyone has their own preferences.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
McChen said:
i seal my linen wraps with a shellac sanding sealer to make them grippier

good idea.

perhaps its because a brand new cue, or at least with a brand new linen wrap, are usually slick. most cuemakers should be able to adjust the linen wrap to the point where its not as slick, and feels stickier. when i got my Jacoby the linen wrap was so slick i almost couldnt play with it.

DCP

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
also sealing the wrap keeps it a lot cleaner. i like it better than wrapless because it is grippy, but still has some texture. i use zinsser sealcoat or some behlen's woodturner's finish

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
Shortside K said:
my belief is that because of the potential for warping of the butts when a single solid piece of wood was used... the handle sections thus became composited pieces that resisted warping and it was necessary to cover this piece with something... a linen wrap... makes sense to me.

Not so much...wraps were used mainly because many players feel it gives them a better grip....looks like it should anyway. What they don't realize is how much harder you have to squeeze the cue to keep it from sliding when you stroke, thus killing a lot of cueball action. Seldom are butts made from 1 solid piece of wood. I would never make one like that as the "hit" would be less than stellar. Wrapless cues are still 3 seperate sections like the pic of one of mine below. You are correct that if it was one long piece of wood it would indeed be harder to keep it straight.

Attachments

• 07Bem_FrontView_apart.jpg
    07Bem_FrontView_apart.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 274

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I might make a suggestion, I don't know what cues you've tried, but production cues tend to simply thread on the linen, without pressing/polishing it. To me, it makes a big difference whether the wrap is pressed or not. I think that most custom cuemakers press linen wraps as opposed to just threading them on and leaving it at that. I've played with mostly linen wraps and one of the reasons I didn't care for Meucci cues is because they covered the linen with finish. I'd like to try a wrapless cue, but it will be a while.

gotg8888

Registered
I bought a cue with a linen wrap after a 20 year layoff from pool. Sold the cue after 3 months, cue did not feel right at times b/c it slipped. I prefer leather or wrapless.