Earl/Johnny match... mine stopped

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
Video streaming stopped for me at 13-9.. I think it was. What happened? Anybody know?

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
I finally got it going after having to re-register, get the authorization code, copy it to a link, post my mom's hat size and my shoe size..... but I missed 3 or 5 games. Came back at 14-11 and dammed near over. Pretty disappointing.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
It was good & it was bad & it was definitely entertaining

I watched the match last night. There were good things about it, and there were not so good things about it. The one glaring difference that I saw last night was that this is not the IPT of 2005-2006.

Good Thing
The first thing I looked at were the sponsors. KT himself. A local Chicago restaurant. Master Rack (sorry, but the tackiest, longest drawn out commercial I have ever had to sit through 50 times) Natural Cures, Diamond, etc.

Good Thing
No Vonage, no Stanley Ho. No Fortune 500 companies.

Good Thing
Johnny won $5K and a cruise courtesy of Linda Carter (Rackmsuckr).

Good Thing
It was a pretty good match. There were a lot of missed shots. There were a lot of outbursts. Great entertainment.

Bad Thing
There were a lot of times that Grady and Mike didn't know the sound was on. There was a lot of times Grady and Mike didn't know that the cameras were on them either. Somebody kept having to whisper to Mike Sigel - we heard the whispering just like he did - live.

Bad Thing
Was it just me, or did Grady compliment Mike more than he complimented the players at the table? It was like he owed Mike money or something. Maybe it was just me.

Bad Thing
As the match went on, the players started resenting Mike and his comments - Mike obviously was oblivious to the fact that he had sharked both players at least once and cost each player a game. The comment of the night was, "Earl scratched that ball right into the pocket. That was a horrible break." Earl went on a 30 minute rampage about that and provided us with stunning commentary in his own right. Johnny was a complete gentleman for the entire match, even when he basically told Earl to STFU while he was shooting.

Bad Thing
The small room. 25-30 spectators - none of them looking very excited to be there.

Bad Thing
Rachel Abbink is a great player, but commentary and interview is not for her. She'd ask a question and then pull the mic away -the camera focused on her cleavage more than the person she was interviewing - most of the time she jumbled her words (1-800-966 - or was it - 866- no - um- 1-800-966-fart? ok... back to Grady and... who is that? Oh yeah... Mike).

All in all, I liked it. I believe that the quality of the presentation was about 5 levels below where the IPT was when they discontinued the tour 1 year ago. The commentary was good - Grady is the best there is. The direction was a goat f&!$ of epic proportions. Like Grady said, there will be mistakes and they will learn from them and improve on them. The biggest reason I liked this presentation was the absence of Kevin Trudeau.

Kevin likes to steal the spotlight. When he goes to a funeral, he takes attention away from the corpse. I'm guessing he was snowed in - in Boston. Hopefully he can stay out of the spotlight long enough to get the ball rolling with this "new IPT".

One thing I noticed was that the camera and audio errors (most of them comical), the personalities, the long commercial breaks, all sort of drew the attention away from what was happening on the table - but it was still a good show and very entertaining. Either way it kept my attention and my focus - hopefully the players will have another option out there to make money. Overall, I am confident that the snags will be worked out for their next broadcast and the quality will be much better.

cubc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yea that girl was really bad... I didnt even realize she played pool until afterwards.. thats how stupid she sounded. I wont even begin to go into the unprofessional part.

I do like how Johnny backed up what Earl said. He did say earl got tough racks and got the raw end of the deal and what not. I like how he stayed classy and respectable of Earl the entire time.

I definitely dont agree with comentaters speaking where the players can hear it.. thats just not a good move.

Earl did miss some shots he shouldn't have but either way it was fun to watch for me thanks to the link! worked perfectly.

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
Blackjack,

You have some great points, all of which I have to agree. I thought it was a shame that the players had to listen to all of the comments made about their mistakes, as if they did not already know. That would be very annoying to anyone playing. Should have been some sort of sound barrier between Sigel/Matthews and the players.

Rachel Abbink is a very strong player and quite attractive but she does need some work with the interviewing process. Her skills on with the mic have much to be desired. If she got some basic coaching, she would probably be fine. I assume that she is new to this and is probably quite nervous.

The play was pretty good. Johnny showed a lot of class in his post match comments. He could have taken a different side but he chose the diplomatic route.

The payout was not too impressive but the "free" viewing was pretty nice. We will see what the future holds.

Peace, JBK

gulfportdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blackjack said:
All in all, I liked it. I believe that the quality of the presentation was about 5 levels below where the IPT was when they discontinued the tour 1 year ago. The commentary was good - Grady is the best there is. The direction was a goat f&!$ of epic proportions. Like Grady said, there will be mistakes and they will learn from them and improve on them. The biggest reason I liked this presentation was the absence of Kevin Trudeau.
I enjoyed it too. The biggest detriment for me was the absence of a commentator's booth. Grady kept his voice low so the players wouldn't hear him; but as a result, I oftentimes I couldn't hear Grady. Mike made less of an effort to keep his voice down, so the players were able to hear some of his comments.

The pool was high quality. The lighting was dim. There was very little "spirit" in the room, mostly due to the catatonic audience.

Still, there are no complaints from me. It was an excellent show for free. I would have been disappointed if it had been pay-for-view, or DVD. I suspect they'll iron out the wrinkles, and have a better production next time.

Doc

lacquer

Registered
Blackjack said:
I watched the match last night....

You make some very good points Blackjack. It was pretty well done but far from perfect.

It's a shame that 8-ball is such a yawn-fest to watch at a pro level.