ridiculous 8-ball game rule.

Hail Mary Shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
went out to get some action last night. saw someone and asked to play me. 8 ball rules were not mentioned since I thought it was unnecessary, big mistake. so my opponent fouled, so I took BIH which surprised him. asked me why I took the CB, I said you fouled. then he says "NO", ball stays where it lies and you got 2 turns whenever your opponent fouls. you miss on your 1st attempt then you have a 2nd chance. if you made a ball in your 1st attempt, then your 2nd chance is nullified. and if you foul in your 1st attempt, it nullifies your 2nd attempt automatically and your turn ends and I take up 2 chances just the same. and on the last ball, only 1 attempt, regardless of a foul. in a scratch, CB goes back in the kitchen. I said "WHAT?" I never heard of this kind of rule before. that is a ridiculous rule. what if both of us intentionally fouls the ball or refused to play? I argued with the guy, why would you punish your opponent for your own mistake. the guy just says, it's the rules. so ok, we played his rules for the benefit of having some action, eventhough it pissed me and made us appear like a bunch of morons playing Uumpaa Luumpa rules. I punished him with safeties. he kepts on fouling. I won eventually 3-1. but the experience wasn't that nice and didn't feel good about the win. hopefully, in the future that guy studies the rules properly and learn to accept them. I just feel so embarrassed right now. :eek:

Sorry, just wanted some outlet for my frustration. :(

Deadon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ALWAYS...check the 8 ball rules in new room/bar. Glad you adjusted well. Uumpaa Luumpa 8 ball, why not!

Drew

Got a little dog in you?
Silver Member
Lol...it is always necessary to determine the rules when playing 8-ball.

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
I wouldn't feel bad about the win. you played his game and beat him at it. No weird rule effected the outcome, you were the better player. That's something to feel good about.
I say it's always sweeter beating someone at their own game.

Banger

memikey

Never Has Been
Silver Member
Seems like that guy might well have spent some time playing 8 ball overseas or even in USA in the company of perhaps Brits or Aussies:)

Except for the "only one shot on the black" rule this sounds a little bit like the general thrust of WEPF (World Eight Ball Federation Rules) , commonly known in Uk and elsewhere as "World Rules". This game is normally played on mini snooker style pool tables with reds and yellows instead of spots and stripes.

WEPF 8 Ball Rules is definitely not a rule set which suits the American syle pool table/balls/pocket profiles. Likewise WPA/BCA 8 Ball Rules are completelyly unsuitable for Uk style pool tablesballs/pocket profiles. You did well to adapt Hail Mary Shot, can't have been much fun:)

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TX Poolnut said:
Wow... I've never heard of that before. Kookie rule. Wonder where he learned it.

They have the same rule here in a BCA league and one of the largest leagues in the country. It is the most moronic, idiotic thing you have ever seen played.

They go carazy over the rules too. When he fouls, you must notify him he is on one foul by standing on one leg like Cpt. Morgan and patting your tummy. Then you can simply roll up behind a ball without touching the rail to get him on 2 fouls and then ball in hand.They even call double fouls here.

They have a board who comes up with the rules and I honestly believe they have been in a closet for about 20 years.

When you win the city championship you win a nice gold ring. { itcosts the winners $175.00. Honest to God, this really exists.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like the bar I was in....

I played in a bar that had about 4 tables. ALL of them played you had to bank the 8.

UGH!

I of course never played that way before or since.

Ken

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
Hail Mary Shot said:
went out to get some action last night. saw someone and asked to play me. 8 ball rules were not mentioned since I thought it was unnecessary, big mistake. so my opponent fouled, so I took BIH which surprised him. asked me why I took the CB, I said you fouled. then he says "NO", ball stays where it lies and you got 2 turns whenever your opponent fouls. you miss on your 1st attempt then you have a 2nd chance. if you made a ball in your 1st attempt, then your 2nd chance is nullified. and if you foul in your 1st attempt, it nullifies your 2nd attempt automatically and your turn ends and I take up 2 chances just the same. and on the last ball, only 1 attempt, regardless of a foul. in a scratch, CB goes back in the kitchen. I said "WHAT?" I never heard of this kind of rule before. that is a ridiculous rule. what if both of us intentionally fouls the ball or refused to play? I argued with the guy, why would you punish your opponent for your own mistake. the guy just says, it's the rules. so ok, we played his rules for the benefit of having some action, eventhough it pissed me and made us appear like a bunch of morons playing Uumpaa Luumpa rules. I punished him with safeties. he kepts on fouling. I won eventually 3-1. but the experience wasn't that nice and didn't feel good about the win. hopefully, in the future that guy studies the rules properly and learn to accept them. I just feel so embarrassed right now. :eek:

I've heard of that rule before, I think they play that way in England. Seems arbitrary to me, one way is as good as another as long as everybody is using the same rules.

Drew

Got a little dog in you?
Silver Member
Ken_4fun said:
I played in a bar that had about 4 tables. ALL of them played you had to bank the 8.

UGH!

Ken

Bank the 8 and last pocket 8 are very common especially with the hispanic guys.

Under Uumpaa Luumpa 8 ball rules the winner gets one of these from the loser...

Attachments

• wonka_gold_ticket (Medium).jpg
    wonka_gold_ticket (Medium).jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 528

Tokyo-dave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many of the Brits, Kewies, and Aussies that I have been exposed to in Japan played with the two shot after foul rule. Kinda weird at first, but once you learn to use it, it can be used to the point that it's equally as advantageous as a ball in hand. One of the things I would always do if my opponent fouled and I had the two free shots and I didn't have a good shot was to kick troubled balls out, or almost any kind of a play that would reset the lay of the table to my advantage so that I could start the run out with my 2nd shot. Think of it as getting a free push out without the giving the opponent the option to take or pass the shot. It's weird rules like this though, that change from place to place that make 8 ball a game that I try to avoid as much as possible.
dave

steev

Lazy User
Silver Member
Ken_4fun said:

UGH!

Ken

i made the mistake once of gambling with '2 rails or more (3 kick) on the eight. the guy was just trying to shake me out of my game, and it almost worked.

-s

IA8baller

Family man.
Silver Member
I had some "out-of-towners" at my local bar on the tables last night. I had one guy get a little bent out of shape when I took BIH and he says "Aren't we playing bar rules?" I say yes but our bar rules are league/BCA rules which is BIH on a foul rather than in the kitchen. I told him the bar/BCA rules were posted in 4 different places on the walls around the tables, how could he miss them? He went away after that game, not sure if it was because he still had 5 balls on the table or because he didn't think I was a nice guy.:rolleyes:

stick8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rules

Hail Mary Shot said:

huh :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: lay stick down and run!!!!!!!!

ScottW

Fo' shizzle!
Silver Member
Just last night I was playing some in a bar, just to kill some time... the local rule there is, you can't use the other guy's ball in a combo or carom.

Amusingly, this situation only came up once, when I started to call a triple combo, and not again the rest of the night, so it ended up being a complete non-issue. :p

memikey

Never Has Been
Silver Member
crappoolguy said:
That's english 8 ball rules. Although you get to carry the second visit.

Actually it's not completely any of the 3 main sets of "English 8 ball rules". For a start none of those three main official rule codes have only one shot on the 8 after a foul by your opponent. It's always two shots, although like everywhere else in the world some British bars make up their own extra house rules.

"WEPF World Rules" has the two shot carry rule as does also "Old EPA Rules" but the third rule code 'Blackball Rules" (formerly known as "Federation Rules", now amended) doesn't have the two shot carry rule.

All three rule codes are widely used in various regional English 8 Ball League set ups. The WEPF Rules code and the Blackball Rules code each have their own separate "World Championships." "Old EPA Rules" is no longer used for any World Championships but a large number of local leagues still use them out of habit, rather than switching to either of the other two newer sets of rules.

The game is riddled by politics and back-biting between the organising committees of each rule code. If it ever unified under one rule code it might have a chance of gaining some more international popularity.

silvr rcr

(silver racer)
Silver Member
usually around here, people play strait eight. this means no ball in hand, period. the only time the cb is moved is if it is pocketed, then its in the kitchen and must cross the headstring before contacting another ball, if a ball is in the kitchen, the cb must cross the headstring before contacting that ball.
most people wont say anything if you touch a ball with your hand or cue in attempt to bridge for your shot, they usually move it back... most people :).
caroms and combos are legal shots, but you must contact one of your own balls first and pocket one of your own balls. if an opponents ball is contacted first in a combo or carom, the ball stays pocketed (obviously because of bar tables) and the player loses his/her turn.

Ive had people try to slide by these rules.
I had a guy one night at a local bar that calls itself a billiards pub want to play for money, cool. Ive played the guy several times, rules were never really an issue. I told him 'strait eight, open after break, no ball in hand.' knowing that ive seen him take ball in hand in a non-league rule game in the past.
I ran down to 2 balls and didnt have a shot, so i played a safety, but since not contacting an object ball is not a foul, i rolled up slow on one of his stripes.
he went raising hell and tried to take bih.
after enough *****ing from him, i let him have his bih and cleaned up.
I told him after that, i refuse to play him again, even for fun, just because of the big deal he made about a rule I called at the beginning of the game - after the game had started.

hasnt been a situation, havent even seen the guy since..

pletho

NON "ACTION KNOCKER"
Silver Member
goofy rules, but i definatly agree with no ball in hand on bar box for sure thats the stupidest rule that ever came out, it should be like the olden days ball in hand behind the line, call shot not pocket, and whatever you make on the break is yours, if both then choice, if one more than the other then thats your balls, the leagues i believe are responsible for the other rules, originally the bangers who cant call caroms and kisses and who think they should get a shot even if it goes in after four rails when they intended it straight in, i believe that at the higher levels you should play at a higher level, like calling shots, it improves your game and you get punished also for not being able to do it, i am sure i will here a lot of flack for this post but it will probably be from those who cant call shots but like to rely on slop pool, which is most players nowdays.....just my opinion, i have my word proof vest on fire away........