Reload this Page Kinister's Advanced Fundamentals One Handed Shot
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Kinister's Advanced Fundamentals One Handed Shot
Old
  (#1)
DrCue'sProtege
AzB Silver Member
DrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Kinister's Advanced Fundamentals One Handed Shot - 12-23-2007, 03:03 PM

anyone have or ever seen this video from Mr. Kinister? he wants you to get aligned and then shoot a straight in shot one handed into the corner pocket. believe he said once you make it 10 times in a row that is excellent. then he recommends shooting the same shot with an open bridge and drawing back 10 times in a row, then with a closed bridge.

anyway, i got a copy of the video, thought it might be one of his better ones. managed to make the one handed shot 10 times in a row after struggling for about 30 minutes or so.

just wondering what the rest of you posters thought of this video?

DCP

Old
  (#2)
the420trooper
Free T-Rex
the420trooper has a reputation beyond reputethe420trooper has a reputation beyond reputethe420trooper has a reputation beyond reputethe420trooper has a reputation beyond reputethe420trooper has a reputation beyond reputethe420trooper has a reputation beyond reputethe420trooper has a reputation beyond reputethe420trooper has a reputation beyond reputethe420trooper has a reputation beyond reputethe420trooper has a reputation beyond reputethe420trooper has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 800

12-23-2007, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCue'sProtege
anyone have or ever seen this video from Mr. Kinister? he wants you to get aligned and then shoot a straight in shot one handed into the corner pocket. believe he said once you make it 10 times in a row that is excellent. then he recommends shooting the same shot with an open bridge and drawing back 10 times in a row, then with a closed bridge.

anyway, i got a copy of the video, thought it might be one of his better ones. managed to make the one handed shot 10 times in a row after struggling for about 30 minutes or so.

DCP
That particular tape probably helped me more than any other. It teaches you that the shot is already missed or made before you take a practice stroke. It helped my alignment so greatly, that when a long, straight-in shot comes up, I just smile. I then get over the shot one handed, add the bridge hand as an afterthought, and then fire. I don't remember the last time I missed. (That ONE shot, mind you.)

Old
  (#3)
TheBook
Ret Professional Goof Off
TheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond repute

12-23-2007, 05:45 PM

One of his better tapes. It helped me get my natural alignment. That is the problem with all the so called cookie cutter advice. Everyone is built different.

Old
  (#4)
Tim-n-NM
It's like feeding a stray
Tim-n-NM has a reputation beyond reputeTim-n-NM has a reputation beyond reputeTim-n-NM has a reputation beyond reputeTim-n-NM has a reputation beyond reputeTim-n-NM has a reputation beyond reputeTim-n-NM has a reputation beyond reputeTim-n-NM has a reputation beyond reputeTim-n-NM has a reputation beyond reputeTim-n-NM has a reputation beyond reputeTim-n-NM has a reputation beyond reputeTim-n-NM has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2500

12-23-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:

DCP
I have never seen this video. Where is it available?

Tim

Old
  (#5)
DrCue'sProtege
AzB Silver Member
DrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond repute

12-23-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim-n-NM
I have never seen this video. Where is it available?
BertKinister.Com i believe is the address. if thats not right just search on Bert Kinister. i think it is tape #11.

DCP

Old
  (#6)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

12-23-2007, 08:20 PM

I've never seen the Kinister video, but I've heard of the one-handed practice technique from a couple of others, have tried it and think it's a great idea. I think it forces you to cooperate with gravity, which produces your most natural and effective stance and stroke (it helps beginners learn how to stroke too).

Another practice technique that works on the same principle is what I call "no-stroking": shooting entire sets or entire drills using both hands, but without taking any practice strokes. Like the one-handed practice technique, the no-stroke technique teaches you to pay closer attention to putting your stance together correctly and aligning it with the shot as precisely as possible to deliver a perfect first stroke.

Both of these techniques are also good ways to improve aiming focus generally.

pj
chgo

Last edited by Patrick Johnson; 12-23-2007 at 08:22 PM.

Old
  (#7)
Mark Avlon
Northwest Pool School
Mark Avlon has a reputation beyond reputeMark Avlon has a reputation beyond reputeMark Avlon has a reputation beyond reputeMark Avlon has a reputation beyond reputeMark Avlon has a reputation beyond reputeMark Avlon has a reputation beyond reputeMark Avlon has a reputation beyond reputeMark Avlon has a reputation beyond reputeMark Avlon has a reputation beyond reputeMark Avlon has a reputation beyond reputeMark Avlon has a reputation beyond repute

12-23-2007, 08:54 PM

I haven't seen this video, but I suspect the cue is resting on the rail and is only held or guided by the grip hand. It's great for learning to cradle the cue in a relaxed grip hand. With solid mechanics and a relaxed grip hand, a significant amount of power can be used to pocket the ball.

Mark Avlon
PBIA Advanced Instructor
ACS Level 3 Instructor
Northwest Pool School

Old
  (#8)
MTfish
AzB Bronze Member
MTfish will become famous soon enough

12-23-2007, 09:36 PM

This video helped me quite a bit. I got into a slump a month or so and went back to it and it seemed to bring me out of my slump. If nothing else, this video got me to pay more attention to my alignment and that has helped my consistency.

Old
  (#9)
av84fun
Banned
av84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond repute

12-23-2007, 10:46 PM

Quote:

DCP
Can you describe the shot? How far is the ob from the cb?

Thanks,
Jim

Old
  (#10)
magnetardo
AzB Silver Member
magnetardo has a reputation beyond reputemagnetardo has a reputation beyond reputemagnetardo has a reputation beyond reputemagnetardo has a reputation beyond reputemagnetardo has a reputation beyond reputemagnetardo has a reputation beyond reputemagnetardo has a reputation beyond reputemagnetardo has a reputation beyond reputemagnetardo has a reputation beyond reputemagnetardo has a reputation beyond reputemagnetardo has a reputation beyond repute

12-23-2007, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson
I've never seen the Kinister video, but I've heard of the one-handed practice technique from a couple of others, have tried it and think it's a great idea. I think it forces you to cooperate with gravity, which produces your most natural and effective stance and stroke (it helps beginners learn how to stroke too).

Another practice technique that works on the same principle is what I call "no-stroking": shooting entire sets or entire drills using both hands, but without taking any practice strokes. Like the one-handed practice technique, the no-stroke technique teaches you to pay closer attention to putting your stance together correctly and aligning it with the shot as precisely as possible to deliver a perfect first stroke.

Both of these techniques are also good ways to improve aiming focus generally.

pj
chgo

Bert goes over the no-stroke technique as well, I believe it was on the Mighty-X tape. There is a lot of knowledge on his vids if you can weed thru all the fluff.

Old
  (#11)
DrCue'sProtege
AzB Silver Member

12-23-2007, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by av84fun
Can you describe the shot? How far is the ob from the cb?

Thanks,
Jim
this is the basic shot. but bear in mind i think the Kinister video is on a 7-foot table. perhaps as someone speculated a while back maybe even a 6-footer?

and no, i dont think the cue is resting on the table. you have to hold it steady while you shoot. this was a big problem for me, i had a hard time keeping the cue from wobbling around.

DCP

CueTable Help

Old
  (#12)
magnetardo
AzB Silver Member
magnetardo has a reputation beyond reputemagnetardo has a reputation beyond reputemagnetardo has a reputation beyond reputemagnetardo has a reputation beyond reputemagnetardo has a reputation beyond reputemagnetardo has a reputation beyond reputemagnetardo has a reputation beyond reputemagnetardo has a reputation beyond reputemagnetardo has a reputation beyond reputemagnetardo has a reputation beyond reputemagnetardo has a reputation beyond repute

12-24-2007, 01:56 AM

Quote:
this is the basic shot. but bear in mind i think the Kinister video is on a 7-foot table. perhaps as someone speculated a while back maybe even a 6-footer?

and no, i dont think the cue is resting on the table. you have to hold it steady while you shoot. this was a big problem for me, i had a hard time keeping the cue from wobbling around.

DCP

CueTable Help

When I took lessons from him (mid 90's), we did that shot cross corner and it was on a nine-foot table, some of his early videos were done on a 7' bar box but most of them were on big tables and he had absolutely no problems doing any of the shots on the 9 footer, he had a 9' Anniversary when I first started going there then a Murrey then a bad ass fully restored antique Brunswick. Looking at his website, I know vid #14 was on a barbox and I know vid #17 was on the Anniversary so at most the first 16 or so were filmed on a bar box and the other 50-60 of them were on 9' tables.

Old
  (#13)
av84fun
Banned
av84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond repute

12-24-2007, 08:20 PM

Quote:

DCP

CueTable Help

Hmmm...I can clearly see the benefits of practicing that shot with the cue resting on the table...in terms of proving the necessity of a great set up.

But shooting it jacked up would be a waste of time IMHO.

Regards,
Jim

Old
  (#14)
cuebuilder
www.cuesbydavesucher.com
cuebuilder has a reputation beyond reputecuebuilder has a reputation beyond reputecuebuilder has a reputation beyond reputecuebuilder has a reputation beyond reputecuebuilder has a reputation beyond reputecuebuilder has a reputation beyond reputecuebuilder has a reputation beyond reputecuebuilder has a reputation beyond reputecuebuilder has a reputation beyond reputecuebuilder has a reputation beyond reputecuebuilder has a reputation beyond repute

12-25-2007, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Avlon
I haven't seen this video, but I suspect the cue is resting on the rail and is only held or guided by the grip hand. It's great for learning to cradle the cue in a relaxed grip hand. With solid mechanics and a relaxed grip hand, a significant amount of power can be used to pocket the ball.
This shot is done completely non supported. Cue touches nothing. It wouldn't "groove" your stance if there is outside support (the table). The whole idea of the exercise is to give you perfect alignment
I took lessons from Bert on the killer old Brunswick. Claims to have been originally owned by Mark Twain.

Old
  (#15)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

12-25-2007, 07:24 PM

Quote:
DCP:
i dont think the cue is resting on the table
Then my comments don't apply and I don't like this exercise after all. Controlling the stick like this means bringing all your arm muscles into play, which is backwards. You want to learn to use fewer muscles, not more.

pj
chgo

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: