Reload this Page Unbiased OB-1 Review
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Unbiased OB-1 Review
Old
  (#1)
custmqs
AzB Silver Member
custmqs has a reputation beyond reputecustmqs has a reputation beyond reputecustmqs has a reputation beyond reputecustmqs has a reputation beyond reputecustmqs has a reputation beyond reputecustmqs has a reputation beyond reputecustmqs has a reputation beyond reputecustmqs has a reputation beyond reputecustmqs has a reputation beyond reputecustmqs has a reputation beyond reputecustmqs has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 600

Unbiased OB-1 Review - 12-24-2007, 08:32 PM

Like many of us, I am on a quest to find the "ultimate hit". I have a pre-date South West that hits pretty darn nice. My current playing cue is an ivory jointed Bender that has a buttery soft feel. I have a few other cues, each of which has its own unique hit profile.

At the risk of public ridicule from the "old school", I decided to give an OB-1 a try. I had not hit one prior to ordering... I just had to try it for myself without prejudice. After playing with it for a day, my feedback is as follows:

1. There is definitely something to the low deflection technology. With this shaft there is no need to compensate for deflection / squirt. Just point and shoot... the cue ball goes where you aim it. And with plenty of spin.

2. The hit is not as crisp as my SW but not as "soft" as the Bender shaft. You get feedback at contact but it is definitely muted as compared to the firmer hitting cues I have tried.

3. The shaft is silky smooth. The taper is unobtrusive. The laminated wood ferrule will not likely be for everyone but it is not as bad as I thought it would be... you really don't notice it while shooting.

I am cognizant of tradition but I also tend to embrace new technology. This shaft won't likely ever be accepted by purists. However, if you are open to trying something new - something that truly has the potential to help your game - you may want to give an OB-1 a shot.

Old
  (#2)
Franky
woman I said NO!!!
Franky has a reputation beyond reputeFranky has a reputation beyond reputeFranky has a reputation beyond reputeFranky has a reputation beyond reputeFranky has a reputation beyond reputeFranky has a reputation beyond reputeFranky has a reputation beyond reputeFranky has a reputation beyond reputeFranky has a reputation beyond reputeFranky has a reputation beyond reputeFranky has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

12-24-2007, 08:43 PM

Interesting review. I'm going to have a custom made with OB-1 shafts eventually...I hope I like it!

Casually, I switched tactics.

Old
  (#3)
Fatboy
AzB Silver Member
Fatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2400

12-24-2007, 09:01 PM

i got one just to try it and learn it on a Barry Szam butt, i havent used it enough yet to say anything conclusive except i'll awalys be a old school maple shaft guy, and will never use a manufactered shaft but for the sake of learning i'm gonna use them all.

I only used it for about 2 hours or less what I have noticed with it is I can get alot of juice on the CB, so much I cant control it, i set up a shot and everytime I shot it the CB would react a bit differently, i couldnt get any control of it, it was fine on center ball shots, I did like the fact I could feel the shot more than with a 314 shaft, so far I like the Tiger shaft the best.

OG member of the Lock Society members or OG-LS;

Just call me Fat-Lock

im getting old and sloppy....

Last edited by Fatboy; 12-24-2007 at 09:03 PM.

Old
  (#4)
dabarbr
AzB Silver Member
dabarbr has a reputation beyond reputedabarbr has a reputation beyond reputedabarbr has a reputation beyond reputedabarbr has a reputation beyond reputedabarbr has a reputation beyond reputedabarbr has a reputation beyond reputedabarbr has a reputation beyond reputedabarbr has a reputation beyond reputedabarbr has a reputation beyond reputedabarbr has a reputation beyond reputedabarbr has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 250

12-24-2007, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy
i got one just to try it and learn it on a Barry Szam butt, i havent used it enough yet to say anything conclusive except i'll awalys be a old school maple shaft guy, and will never use a manufactered shaft but for the sake of learning i'm gonna use them all.

I only used it for about 2 hours or less what I have noticed with it is I can get alot of juice on the CB, so much I cant control it, i set up a shot and everytime I shot it the CB would react a bit differently, i couldnt get any control of it, it was fine on center ball shots, I did like the fact I could feel the shot more than with a 314 shaft, so far I like the Tiger shaft the best.
Fatboy if you're from the old school then you will have to hit with one of these new type of shafts for at least a couple of months.

About a year ago I played with a predator shaft for about two weeks and did not like it. But now I realized I didn't give it enough time. It also could be that it didn't fit me because I like a smaller shaft and I bellieve that these shafts cannot be turned down much because they lose their playability.

I am now shooting with an X shaft from Tiger and have been using it for about two months. I like it so much that I'm finding myself playing more now then I have in the last couple of years. I'm doing things with it that I thought I would never be able to do again. I don't know much about the OB1 and probably will not try it because of the ferruel, it seems a bit distracting to me. I just received a blank Z shaft and I'm having it fixed to fit my cue. After I get it back from my cue man I will try it for a fair duration of time and then I can compare it to the Tiger Product.

In either case you need to give it enough time to really get a fair opinion of it.

Old
  (#5)
Frankenstroke
2 Gus Szamboti cues

Frankenstroke has a reputation beyond reputeFrankenstroke has a reputation beyond reputeFrankenstroke has a reputation beyond reputeFrankenstroke has a reputation beyond reputeFrankenstroke has a reputation beyond reputeFrankenstroke has a reputation beyond reputeFrankenstroke has a reputation beyond reputeFrankenstroke has a reputation beyond reputeFrankenstroke has a reputation beyond reputeFrankenstroke has a reputation beyond reputeFrankenstroke has a reputation beyond repute

12-24-2007, 10:33 PM

How long is the OB-1 taper? To me that means how far down the shaft until the diameter exceeds 13.5 mm.

How long is a 314-2 taper, using the same methed of measurement?

Old
  (#6)
ioCross
AzB Silver Member
ioCross has a reputation beyond reputeioCross has a reputation beyond reputeioCross has a reputation beyond reputeioCross has a reputation beyond reputeioCross has a reputation beyond reputeioCross has a reputation beyond reputeioCross has a reputation beyond reputeioCross has a reputation beyond reputeioCross has a reputation beyond reputeioCross has a reputation beyond reputeioCross has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 625

12-24-2007, 10:46 PM

i kind of want to try the ob-1, but im a predator man.

i've tried the meucci black dot which i hated b/c i got no "feel" from the shaft at all.

the red dot was ok for me, but i still didn't like it. i'd honestly prefer a regular hard maple shaft like a players cue to a meucci.

i tried the universal smart shaft but i hate it. can't draw a ball at all with it, and every time i try to use english i miss the shot. but my girlfriend loves it. go figure.

i tried the carbon core shafts by mcdermott which i couldn't stand but the guy who owned the cue swore by it, and i saw a noticable improvement in his game after he got it.

i definatly will use low deflection shafts for the forseeable future, altho i'm too comfortable with my predator to make the leap to an ob-1.

i've always wanted to try the x-shaft but never had a chance to hit with one.

on a different note, my current shaft is a z2, but i loathed the original z shaft. when i got my current cue i was really hesitant to buy it until i played a few racks with it.

to me, the original 314 will always be "IT".

Cue: Predator SP OB-1 shaft / Players cue(break) / Lucasi jump
tip: Moori Hard
Fav game: 9ball / one hole
hours of pool per week: um....... too many

Old
  (#7)
tjlmbklr
AzB Silver Member
tjlmbklr has a reputation beyond reputetjlmbklr has a reputation beyond reputetjlmbklr has a reputation beyond reputetjlmbklr has a reputation beyond reputetjlmbklr has a reputation beyond reputetjlmbklr has a reputation beyond reputetjlmbklr has a reputation beyond reputetjlmbklr has a reputation beyond reputetjlmbklr has a reputation beyond reputetjlmbklr has a reputation beyond reputetjlmbklr has a reputation beyond repute

12-24-2007, 10:51 PM

Interesting and very accurate review. I wanted to add, today decided to knock some balls around in my rec room. I sent my OB-1 shaft to Varney to have a Sniper installed. I will say this, you notice more how much less to no deflection is on your OB-1 when shooting with your original shaft.

"Luck is the residue of good practice"

-Unknown

Old
  (#8)
leehayes
AzB Silver Member
leehayes has a reputation beyond reputeleehayes has a reputation beyond reputeleehayes has a reputation beyond reputeleehayes has a reputation beyond reputeleehayes has a reputation beyond reputeleehayes has a reputation beyond reputeleehayes has a reputation beyond reputeleehayes has a reputation beyond reputeleehayes has a reputation beyond reputeleehayes has a reputation beyond reputeleehayes has a reputation beyond repute

12-25-2007, 07:14 AM

Ok, here's my .02. I started out with a maple shaft about 4 years ago. I switched to a predator 314 and couldn't pocket balls so I sent it back. I then bought a meucci with black dot shafts, also laminated. That was a good choice then and after using that for a while went to a z-shaft on a Phillipi butt. I played with that til I bought a sneaky pete predator with a z2 shaft and played with that until I bought a new predator with the 314-2 shaft. Then recently bought an MG cue with an OB-1 shaft with a special taper. The issues I found are these. I loved the predators. The z had a better feel but when I quit playing so much you needed to have a much more accurate stroke to pocket balls well with it so I went to the 314 and found that I was a little more accurate. After trying the MG, I found the hit of the OB-1 to be alot different. It's definitely softer than the Predator but I couldn't figure out if it was better or worse, just different. I will say that I shelved a $1500 predator in favor of the $500 MG because I felt like it played much better. It just felt like I struck the balls better and had more control than the predator...but the new Predator I bought has a metal joint and my preference is non metal so that may be contributing. Now that I've said all of this....I recently bought a Mike Stacey that someone has custom made for them and it had 2 FUSION shafts. If you've never heard of them they are the same shafts that Annie O sells as her NT shafts,you can see them on her website. The day I got the Mike Stacey I went to the pool hall and shot with it and one of my singles matches walked in so we played. I shot half the match with the MG with the OB 1 and the other half with the Stacey with the FUSION. I haven't played much with the MG since. This shaft has less deflection than the Predator Z-2, has the tip of the 314 and has more control than the OB-1. It still doesn't have the feel of a pure maple shaft but it does give feedback and I personally like that. This has definitely become my playing cue and I'm sure that it's greatly in part due to the shaft. I think that people who say they will never try these or have tried them and gave them a two hour work out have potentially short changed them selves. You really do need to try them out for a little while. If at that point you honestly feel that you like the maple shaft better then you at least have that thought out of your mind. Each person's choice in cue is a very personal preference but from alot of the forums that I've read there are alot of people who prefer the play of a laminated over a non laminated. I recently saw a Capone on EBay for sale that was Danny Basavich's personal cue. I found it interesting that he had 2 predator shafts that were used and the two Capone shafts were not. Seems to me a non sponsored pro would use what he thinks puts balls in the pocket best.
My preference in order 1) fusion(annie o NT) 2) OB-1 3) Z-2 4) 314-2
As I said, my .02 but as for now? Here's one vote for laminated shafts.

"An eye for an eye would make the whole world blind" Ghandi

Hey Frank....
Old
  (#9)
Jaden
Dun w/da bullshit 4awhile
Jaden has a reputation beyond reputeJaden has a reputation beyond reputeJaden has a reputation beyond reputeJaden has a reputation beyond reputeJaden has a reputation beyond reputeJaden has a reputation beyond reputeJaden has a reputation beyond reputeJaden has a reputation beyond reputeJaden has a reputation beyond reputeJaden has a reputation beyond reputeJaden has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5875

Hey Frank.... - 12-25-2007, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabarbr
Fatboy if you're from the old school then you will have to hit with one of these new type of shafts for at least a couple of months.

About a year ago I played with a predator shaft for about two weeks and did not like it. But now I realized I didn't give it enough time. It also could be that it didn't fit me because I like a smaller shaft and I bellieve that these shafts cannot be turned down much because they lose their playability.

I am now shooting with an X shaft from Tiger and have been using it for about two months. I like it so much that I'm finding myself playing more now then I have in the last couple of years. I'm doing things with it that I thought I would never be able to do again. I don't know much about the OB1 and probably will not try it because of the ferruel, it seems a bit distracting to me. I just received a blank Z shaft and I'm having it fixed to fit my cue. After I get it back from my cue man I will try it for a fair duration of time and then I can compare it to the Tiger Product.

In either case you need to give it enough time to really get a fair opinion of it.
I don't know how you adjust for squirt when you use side spin etc...but I use BHE english and when I was shooting with my predator it was too cumbersome because the pivot point was too far back on the shaft...

What I did is cut off the ferrule and drilled out the foam core at the tip and added a new tenon and ferrule and I have to say NOW it is one solid hitting cue...All of the benefits of the solidness of the laminated shaft technology with the feel (well not quite the feel) of the old school shafts. It now has the spinability of a southwest with the solidness of my Frank Paradise... Ok it doesn't really have either of those but it does approximate them..LOL.. I don't think I will ever find a cue that hits as solid as my Frank Paradise....

Old
  (#10)
alstl
AzB Silver Member
alstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond repute

12-25-2007, 08:41 AM

If I get an OB-1 shaft will I have to find a new aiming system?

aiming system - minor adjustment
Old
  (#11)
custmqs
AzB Silver Member
custmqs has a reputation beyond reputecustmqs has a reputation beyond reputecustmqs has a reputation beyond reputecustmqs has a reputation beyond reputecustmqs has a reputation beyond reputecustmqs has a reputation beyond reputecustmqs has a reputation beyond reputecustmqs has a reputation beyond reputecustmqs has a reputation beyond reputecustmqs has a reputation beyond reputecustmqs has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 600

aiming system - minor adjustment - 12-25-2007, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstl
If I get an OB-1 shaft will I have to find a new aiming system?
The main difference with the OB-1 is that the cue ball goes where you point the cue... you do not have to compensate for as much cue ball squirt. You will, however, still have to contend with the throw imparted on the object ball.

Old
  (#12)
curly
AzB Silver Member
curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

12-25-2007, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlmbklr
Interesting and very accurate review. I wanted to add, today decided to knock some balls around in my rec room. I sent my OB-1 shaft to Varney to have a Sniper installed. I will say this, you notice more how much less to no deflection is on your OB-1 when shooting with your original shaft.
tj, you have an excellent idea! I like a longer cue and using a low deflection shaft can offset the deflection that there can be in a longer shaft. I noticed that you play with a 60 inch Josey cue. I have many 59 inchers and a 60 inch cue. I really like playing with a longer cue and I think I'll try a low deflection shaft.
Curly

hi
Old
  (#13)
john schmidt
AzB Silver Member
john schmidt has a reputation beyond reputejohn schmidt has a reputation beyond reputejohn schmidt has a reputation beyond reputejohn schmidt has a reputation beyond reputejohn schmidt has a reputation beyond reputejohn schmidt has a reputation beyond reputejohn schmidt has a reputation beyond reputejohn schmidt has a reputation beyond reputejohn schmidt has a reputation beyond reputejohn schmidt has a reputation beyond reputejohn schmidt has a reputation beyond repute

hi - 12-25-2007, 10:15 AM

i thought i would chime in.first i think the little deflection thing is great and the tiger and predator and ob1 all do that.now ive hit balls with all of those shafts and they are all great but i think the ob1 has a cooler hit better look and better price not to mention made in the u.s.. did i mention i just ran 403 playing 14.1 with it.yes they are my sponsor and im supposed to say nice things but believe me im not going to sell out and say they are great shafts and look you right in the eye and say that if its not true.i would not trade my pool game and reputation and tell people these are unbelievable shafts if i did not feel that way myself.anyway thats my 2 cents on that. happy holidays and if you see me at a tourney and want to hit a few balls with my cue to try it out just come up and say hi

Best Tips?
Old
  (#14)
Darth
Cyber Fox 4/8/96-7/1/09
Darth has a reputation beyond reputeDarth has a reputation beyond reputeDarth has a reputation beyond reputeDarth has a reputation beyond reputeDarth has a reputation beyond reputeDarth has a reputation beyond reputeDarth has a reputation beyond reputeDarth has a reputation beyond reputeDarth has a reputation beyond reputeDarth has a reputation beyond reputeDarth has a reputation beyond repute

Question Best Tips? - 12-25-2007, 10:32 AM

John, what tip are you using on the OB? I tried both the Moori quick and the Kamui hard. The Kamui seemed too hard but the Moori seems to give the best feedback. I would be interested in your experience.

Playing cue: McDermott D-19 dice cue I've had since 1984.
Break cue: None
Jump cue: Predator Air
Case: Predator 4X8 soft case

MY BELOVED CORGI IS WALKING BESIDE ME WITH SILENT PAWS AS I GO THROUGH LIFE WAITING TO JOIN HIM AT THE RAINBOW BRIDGE.

OB1 tip
Old
  (#15)
SCCues
< Searing Twins
SCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

OB1 tip - 12-25-2007, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth
John, what tip are you using on the OB? I tried both the Moori quick and the Kamui hard. The Kamui seemed too hard but the Moori seems to give the best feedback. I would be interested in your experience.
I'd like to hear John's answer about which tip he uses on his OB1 shaft also.

James

Playing cue:-Mottey-
Cues:--Paul Mottey and Kenny Murrell--
Favorite Pool Games:--9 Ball & One Pocket--

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: