Absolute Minimum space for 9' diamond table

maxeypad2007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Okay, I am in a real squeeze her in my basement for a 9' Diamond.

whats the absolute minimum square I could get by with for a 9' table to use a full size cue?

gobrian77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My home pool room is 14'2" wide, and I can play comfortably on my 8-foot table- 14' on a 9-footer is a tight squeeze, and you'll be hitting the wall when shooting at balls on the rail.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Here's a chart of room sizes for various size tables, using a 58" cue, with room for 3", 6", 9" and 12" backstrokes. For your 9-footer and a 3" backstroke, you need a room that's 14'-4" wide.

Ignore the bottom chart - it was included for another thread. If you tell me your room size I can customize the bottom chart to show you what size "shorty" cue will produce the same stroking room.

pj
chgo

attachment.php

Last edited:

Hierovision

Dios mio, man.
Silver Member
So realistically it's probably around 16x20 for botherless shooting. I wish diamond's system would include stroke length.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
So realistically it's probably around 16x20 for botherless shooting.

Yep, that's my minimum requirement (fortunately I have a room bigger than that).

I wish diamond's system would include stroke length.

You don't sell tables by telling customers they won't fit comfortably. You sell tables by lying.

pj
chgo

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Hierovision said:
So realistically it's probably around 16x20 for botherless shooting. I wish diamond's system would include stroke length.

Well, the 12" stroke thing is misleading. The most room you I can really use is for the tip of the cue to be at the very outside of the rail when the butt hits the wall. When I'm shooting from the rail, I make my bridge such that if I pulled the tip back further than the outside edge of the rail, it would fall out of my bridge. So really, the numbers for 6" stroke are enough, because that's the most stroke I can use when the ball is on the rail.

But still, that's 50+(6x2)+(58x2)=178"=14'10" wide, and another 50 inches for the length = 19' long. Personally, I'd rather have an 8' table than a 9' with any less room than that.

-Andrew

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh, this is really very simple. All you need is 14' by 10' room and a gyro-stabalized moving platform so you can slide the table over when needed.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
get the round table

Jude Rosenstock said:
If you don't have that kind of money, four skate-boards should do the trick.

There was a round table on a lazy susan somebody posted information about awhile back. If you have a closet big enough for the table and a doorway to shoot through you were in business.

To the original poster, you will hate it if you get a table too big for your space. I would rather have the Diamond seven footer with the same pockets as the nine footer and plenty of room than the nine footer without enough room. When I was cramped for space many years ago I finally said the heck with it and shoved the table almost against the wall on one side. I gave up shooting one whole side of the table instead of being jacked up too often on both sides.

If support posts or walls are the issue there are solutions. I was really surprised that a huge, maybe 24"x6", thirty foot laminated beam only cost a friend around five hundred dollars when he wanted to freespan the center of his garage addition recently. I would have guessed the cost at several thousand.

Hu

Cuebacca

________
Silver Member
Yeah, I agree with Andrew's numbers, 14'10"x19'. When I was looking for a rental house with a garage, I came up with the same numbers as the minimum garage size that I'd go for.

However, if I already had a place to live and was looking for a table, I'd still go for the 9' if my space was 14'x18'. My reasoning is that you will only need the extra 5" for a very very small percentage of shots.

The cue ball needs to be on or very near the rail, AND you'd have to be shooting the cue ball at a 90 degree angle out from the rail. In those cases, you'd have a 1" back swing with a 58" cue. So, personally, I'd probably buy an extra 56" cue (or cut some house cues to 54", 55", and 56") to allow a 3" - 5" back swing for that very small percentage of shots.

Not ideal, but worth the sacrifice in order to have a 9', IMO. I could understand how some would feel that it wouldn't be worth it though.

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
My room

My room is 15ft wide with lots of extra length. 9ft Pro-Am. Never has any obstructions. I play with a 60" Cue.

Ray

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really hope this turns into a multipage thread.

You know how big the table is. You know how big your cue is. What else do you need?

Cuebacca

________
Silver Member
Due to Jude's request for addition information on this topic, I would like to add the following:

Perhaps Diamond's calculations were based on the assumption that most recreational players shoot balls off the rail with more elevation than is necessary. Therefore, the effective length of their cue with respect to room size becomes shorter. :D

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cuebacca said:
Due to Jude's request for addition information on this topic, I would like to add the following:

Perhaps Diamond's calculations were based on the assumption that most recreational players shoot balls off the rail with more elevation than is necessary. Therefore, the effective length of their cue with respect to room size becomes shorter. :D

That is an excellent point. I mean, what if the room has a door? Does it swing in or out?

Cuebacca

________
Silver Member
Hey, you turned it into a multi-page thread! Congrats! :D

Also, you can play with "spacies", to gain an addition inch of back swing. :)

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cuebacca said:
Hey, you turned it into a multi-page thread! Congrats! :D

Also, you can play with "spacies", to gain an addition inch of back swing. :)

Maybe they should just get an outdoor table and put the thing on the fire-escape.

Cuebacca

________
Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock said:
Maybe they should just get an outdoor table and put the thing on the fire-escape.

I wonder if it could support the load. I think I'll start a new thread..... :D