Banking on a Diamond

av84fun

Banned
The following exchange took place on the DCC forum and I thought it was interesting enough to copy here.

Any thoughts?

Worminator said:
I have learned to like Diamond tables and have an oversized 4x8 at home. I still prefer a Gold Crown because that is what I learned to play on, but every place around here has Diamonds so I had to learn to play on them. Don't get me wrong, they are great tables, but it is a different game playing on a diamond.

I agree with bankshot76, if you can bank on a Diamond you can bank on any table.

I too think Diamonds are GREAT. I am interested in the comments about banking on them vs. other tables. I would appreciate learning what you think the differences are.

Thanks!
Jim

PS: I will post this on the main forum too.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
They bank shorter, and you can really tighten up a bank a lot more on a Diamond. But if you hit a bank slowly, they will open up a lot more.

For me the main difference is that you can hit a bank that feels good on a Diamond, and it still doesn't go. On a Gold Crown, when you hit it, you know right away if it's going or not.

The side pockets on Diamonds are very stingy also.

av84fun

Banned
jay helfert said:
They bank shorter, and you can really tighten up a bank a lot more on a Diamond. But if you hit a bank slowly, they will open up a lot more.

For me the main difference is that you can hit a bank that feels good on a Diamond, and it still doesn't go. On a Gold Crown, when you hit it, you know right away if it's going or not.

The side pockets on Diamonds are very stingy also.

Thanks Jay. You da man!

(-:

ap_audio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ok, little bit of background info first for this post: i just moved to Las Vegas after growing up in Kansas all my life. Most everything I've ever played on are Gold Crown 3's with some Gold Crown 4's and Valley bar tables. I have played on Diamonds before .. .but only a handful of times for maybe a couple of racks. Well, big change in LV is that a LOT of the tables out here are Diamonds. I was looking forward to moving here because of that and it would let me get my game sharper by being able to practice on them. I've been here 10 days now and have been having a hard time playing on the Diamonds...trying to get use to the feel of the table, not to mention the cloth playing a lot faster here in the desert.

Well, after spending 6 hours getting close with a diamond today and trying to finally get the feel for the Diamond tables I feel I'm starting to get better on them. By the end of the day I was running a good number of balls and not leaving stuff hang anymore.

In regards to banks tho - I've noticed that I make a lot more banks on the Diamond than I did on the GC3's ... but, theres a catch to that statement. By making them, they're not all nice. A lot of my banks (although they are getting a lot better) when i first moved here thru early today I would be short... but, I was constantly getting lucky and getting the double bank. I'd never get the double bank on the GC's. Not sure if thats just because of the cloth, or because of the profile of the rubber ... but that is one thing I've noticed .. .