Alexs mental state ?

cad1illac

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi all.....I am wondering what kind of mental state Alex is in after being dominated by Shane. They played 120+ games and Alex could not beat him. I don't think Alex was playing badly. He just beat Efren in 1p. in one of the best 1p. games in a long time. (Efren had not been beaten in 4 yrs. I think) He then beat DH in one of the best 1p. sets anyone has seen. Many people think Alex is the best overall player in the world (and I do too) Granted Shane is on a roll (although he did not play well in Reno, but he won). 10 ball is not Shanes best game, he freely admits 8 ball and 9 ball are. Many great champions never are able to recover from this sort of thing, aka Vargas, the fighter, after his loss several years ago.
Would appreciate feed back from serious pool players or people who have real insight into this sort of thing.

Nine Ball

Certified Rail Tester
Silver Member
I dont think Alex feels any different then before he played Shane. He only lost by 7 games total in all 3 sets. If it were 10 ahead the set wouldn't be over yet. lol

BPG24

Banned
cad1illac said:
Hi all.....I am wondering what kind of mental state Alex is in after being dominated by Shane. They played 120+ games and Alex could not beat him. I don't think Alex was playing badly. He just beat Efren in 1p. in one of the best 1p. games in a long time. (Efren had not been beaten in 4 yrs. I think) He then beat DH in one of the best 1p. sets anyone has seen. Many people think Alex is the best overall player in the world (and I do too) Granted Shane is on a roll (although he did not play well in Reno, but he won). 10 ball is not Shanes best game, he freely admits 8 ball and 9 ball are. Many great champions never are able to recover from this sort of thing, aka Vargas, the fighter, after his loss several years ago.
Would appreciate feed back from serious pool players or people who have real insight into this sort of thing.

Dominated??????????

I am confused by your qusetion

Also Shane hates 9 ball, according to the TAR crew. Says he prefers not to play it at all, and that 10 ball is a much better game because it suits him well

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
cad1illac said:
Hi all.....I am wondering what kind of mental state Alex is in after being dominated by Shane. They played 120+ games and Alex could not beat him.

Wow, I could have swore I read that they played three sets and they were all pretty close. I didn't know Shane won all 120+ games. Shane may think 10-ball is not his best game, but I think there are some who would disagree.

worriedbeef

The Voice of Reason
Silver Member
Nine Ball said:
I dont think Alex feels any different then before he played Shane. He only lost by 7 games total in all 3 sets. If it were 10 ahead the set wouldn't be over yet. lol

to dismiss the idea that this may be a slight mental scar on Alex is silly in my opinion. it's all very well saying we was only seven games behind in total and all this but they played three times. Shane beat him every single time after Alex was playing well and giving his absolute all. that has to be a HUGE blow to his confidence and mental game.

however Alex strikes me as the sort of player who will cope best with this, but regardless, he is only human.

yobagua

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wasnt Alex the guy who came in second in the WPC one year and came back to win it all the next? Alex is not called the LION for nothing. Yes he needs some time to go home and have a good talk with himself. With the help of his friends, family, and business partners, I think he will come back as strong as ever. If there are any rematches I will entertain the offer of a few sweat bets on Alex.

cad1illac

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Again......By dominated I meant he was beaten 3 times in a row? Granted he was playing slightly better at the end but the fact of the matter is he was beaten consistently. Once again I am Alexs biggest fan but I wonder what the odds would be if they played again. Pretty steep I would imagine. After the Efren match I was emtionally exhausted, and I told Alex he showed a lot of heart. I appreciate all the good input. For a long time he would only play 9 ball for serious cash. Just ask Chohan who played him in Rapid City, before most people had ever heard of him! Two yrs. ago he offered to play Archer 9 ball if Archer would give him the seven, he offered to play Corey if he would give him the 8, and he offered to play Schmidt even! and they all turned him down ( for $10,000 ) I was standing there with all three of them.

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member
cad1illac said:

Alex will be back for more. Although I am sure he is not happy about the losses, he no doubt will be excited about the new competitor/action!

When was the last time anyone outside the Phillipines stepped up to play Alex even?

At this point Shane had all the momentum going in to the match.

renard

Play in these conditions?
Silver Member
CrownCityCorey said:
Alex will be back for more. Although I am sure he is not happy about the losses, he no doubt will be excited about the new competitor/action!

When was the last time anyone outside the Phillipines stepped up to play Alex even?

At this point Shane had all the momentum going in to the match.

Coreys on point as usual.

"The Lion" moniker for Alex isn't just there because it sounds cool or happens to be part of his name. It is a reflection of the heart this guy has. At those stakes and playing three times Alex had to be confident he was booking a winner.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Alex is a champion and one of the most upbeat individuals you will ever have the pleasure of meeting.

No loss to any player is going to adversely effect his fighting spirit.

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
Nine Ball said:

I don't think it is the 7 games that bothers him....I think its the loss of thousands of $$$$$ would have the effect.

That SVB has made some serious cash in the last year....

Who said you can't make a living playing pool....;) :D

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It might rib him a little. But, I have talked with Alex in the past. Trust me, it's business as usual in the Pagulayan camp..

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cad1illac said:
Hi Again......By dominated I meant he was beaten 3 times in a row? Granted he was playing slightly better at the end but the fact of the matter is he was beaten consistently. Once again I am Alexs biggest fan but I wonder what the odds would be if they played again. Pretty steep I would imagine. After the Efren match I was emtionally exhausted, and I told Alex he showed a lot of heart. I appreciate all the good input. For a long time he would only play 9 ball for serious cash. Just ask Chohan who played him in Rapid City, before most people had ever heard of him! Two yrs. ago he offered to play Archer 9 ball if Archer would give him the seven, he offered to play Corey if he would give him the 8, and he offered to play Schmidt even! and they all turned him down ( for $10,000 ) I was standing there with all three of them.
NOONE dominated. Three or four rolls the other way, one momentum swing, and you'd be asking about Shane's outlook on life in the pool world.

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
crawfish said:
NOONE dominated. Three or four rolls the other way, one momentum swing, and you'd be asking about Shane's outlook on life in the pool world.

Exactly. If alex made that cross side on the hill of the second set, everyone may be questioning if shane is on the decline. When players are that close in skill, one roll can mean a whole set.

I thinks its great to see such a close match for SVB. No one has challanged him recently. When they play in March, ill take Alex if anyone wants action.

The Beginner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember when i talked to Alex one time...he told me that if he lost the game ...after the game he don't think it again he just move on easily..alex is a very outgoing guy and very funny guy so i think it won't hunt him after he loose to SVB 3 sets.....his a true champion im sure he will bounce back :)

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
People who assume that someone else is deeply affected by losing are themselves deeply affected by losing or they wouldn't assume others are.

poolcuemaster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From what I was told at the DCC Alex was to recieve only 30 percent of the winnings, so he was not backing himself. I'am thrilled that Shane stomped him, don't start flaming. I like Alex alot and respect him as a player and person, the reason I'm glad he lost was Ronnie Wiseman running his mouth to Shane about wanting to bet ten more thousand dollars and ribbing him about winning the night before and only raising the bet by five thousand. RW was also going along with scooter hollering ( who wants to bet on the great white hope), Shane didn't hear all RW said I guess but he looked RW in the eye and said ( do I look like I need the money). Go Shane beat'em all cause I know you ain't scared, you challenged everyone at DCC that people think are better than you. That means Efren, Bustamante, Joiner and Alex.--Leonard

Last edited: