Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Best Sneaky Pete? Looks, Play, Feel...
Page 1 of 3 1 23

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Best Sneaky Pete? Looks, Play, Feel...
Old
  (#1)
PickPocket
AzB Silver Member
PickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond reputePickPocket has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Best Sneaky Pete? Looks, Play, Feel... - 01-28-2008, 01:19 PM

OK I want your opinions on Sneaky Petes.
If I were to want to find one that I could be happy w/ performance, feel, all the good stuff! but still want to fly "low radar" (Ie. no inlay work, no wrap) concealed joint. (dont know if they make a quick release joint as a sneaky pete type, no collars) but have great wood character too. but not something too flashy that would give it away. Money is say MAX about $450 Whats your take on this?

"I'm a "C" Player....C you rack, C me run out! C your C-Notes in my hand...C-U Later!"

Old
  (#2)
tpdtom
Really Old School
tpdtom has a reputation beyond reputetpdtom has a reputation beyond reputetpdtom has a reputation beyond reputetpdtom has a reputation beyond reputetpdtom has a reputation beyond reputetpdtom has a reputation beyond reputetpdtom has a reputation beyond reputetpdtom has a reputation beyond reputetpdtom has a reputation beyond reputetpdtom has a reputation beyond reputetpdtom has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via Yahoo to tpdtom  
01-28-2008, 02:23 PM

I've had quite a few sneakies, and here's my take on it. If you want an unadorned cue with a concealed joint, you either should get one with a smaller pin, probably a piloted shaft, or just deal with the fact that if you break very hard the larger pins may burst right through the shaft wood. The purpose of the phenolic ring with the cues with a 3/8 X 10 or a Radial pin is to add strength. Someone with a huge break like Bustamantes, Archers, or SVB actually may cause the cue to bend and that large pin will come through the shaft wood near the joint. Bob Frey for one will just tell you that he'll be happy to make you an unmarked joint but he won't guarantee it. My old Meucci and Scruggs had small pins with piloted joints and worked fine, but many of us now like the large pins for their hit, like the aforementioned 3/8 X 10 and the Radial Pins. The Uniloc Radial is a pin that hits sweet and can be installed with almost no error. Many cuemakers now don't like the Uniloc Quick Release pin and won't install them or try to steer you away due to problems they've had. That even extends to joints on jump/break cues on which it's really nice to have quick release. I've learned the hard way to trust and rely on the advice of my chosen cuemakers however, and I don't use Uniloc Quick Release joints now.

There are MANY competent sneaky pete makers. Two that I currently own that have it all in the price range you mentioned are Paul Dayton and Darren Hill. Both cues have a hit that I would say could not be improved upon. My Dayton has a Radial pin and the Hill a 3/8 X 10. Hope this helps...Tom

Old
  (#3)
BVal
AzB Silver Member
BVal has a reputation beyond reputeBVal has a reputation beyond reputeBVal has a reputation beyond reputeBVal has a reputation beyond reputeBVal has a reputation beyond reputeBVal has a reputation beyond reputeBVal has a reputation beyond reputeBVal has a reputation beyond reputeBVal has a reputation beyond reputeBVal has a reputation beyond reputeBVal has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 217

01-28-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PickPocket
OK I want your opinions on Sneaky Petes.
If I were to want to find one that I could be happy w/ performance, feel, all the good stuff! but still want to fly "low radar" (Ie. no inlay work, no wrap) concealed joint. (dont know if they make a quick release joint as a sneaky pete type, no collars) but have great wood character too. but not something too flashy that would give it away. Money is say MAX about $450 Whats your take on this?
I am not sure how plain Keith Josey makes his cues but I love mine.

BVal

sneaky petes...
Old
  (#4)
mrinsatiable
AzB Silver Member
mrinsatiable has a reputation beyond reputemrinsatiable has a reputation beyond reputemrinsatiable has a reputation beyond reputemrinsatiable has a reputation beyond reputemrinsatiable has a reputation beyond reputemrinsatiable has a reputation beyond reputemrinsatiable has a reputation beyond reputemrinsatiable has a reputation beyond reputemrinsatiable has a reputation beyond reputemrinsatiable has a reputation beyond reputemrinsatiable has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 250

sneaky petes... - 01-28-2008, 02:47 PM

Bob Frey, Tim Scruggs, Keith Josey...all make good sneaky petes.
If you can find a Roger Petit. Those are legendary around my neck of the woods.
Try to find someone who makes their own full splice. This is the best way to go.
Scott Gracio also makes a full splice.

Old
  (#5)
despotic931
Mr. Felson's my dad...
despotic931 has much to be proud ofdespotic931 has much to be proud ofdespotic931 has much to be proud ofdespotic931 has much to be proud ofdespotic931 has much to be proud ofdespotic931 has much to be proud ofdespotic931 has much to be proud ofdespotic931 has much to be proud ofdespotic931 has much to be proud of

Send a message via AIM to despotic931  
01-28-2008, 02:47 PM

If I could play with any cue it would be a Josey sneaky pete!

Hi, my name is Justin, and I drop my elbow...

Main Player: Predator SP4RW, First Gen. 314 Shaft, Sniper tip

Old
  (#6)
TheBook
Ret Professional Goof Off
TheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond repute

01-28-2008, 03:03 PM

Contact Perry Weston. I just bought a PH from him for $450. It is made from a Schmelke blank. It has a radial pin and is a real solid player.

Old
  (#7)
JohnPT
"Prove it!"
JohnPT has a reputation beyond reputeJohnPT has a reputation beyond reputeJohnPT has a reputation beyond reputeJohnPT has a reputation beyond reputeJohnPT has a reputation beyond reputeJohnPT has a reputation beyond reputeJohnPT has a reputation beyond reputeJohnPT has a reputation beyond reputeJohnPT has a reputation beyond reputeJohnPT has a reputation beyond reputeJohnPT has a reputation beyond repute

01-28-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrinsatiable
Try to find someone who makes their own full splice. This is the best way to go.
Why? What difference does it make? I've never understood this statement. If a blank is production are they no good? They have the dedicated equipment to make blanks. What about a John Davis blank, Mark Bear or even Prather? They sell blanks to CM's.

This is my poolcue. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My poolcue is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My poolcue, without me, is useless. Without my poolcue, I am useless...

Last edited by JohnPT; 01-28-2008 at 03:16 PM.

Old
  (#8)
stikapos
AzB Silver Member
stikapos has a reputation beyond reputestikapos has a reputation beyond reputestikapos has a reputation beyond reputestikapos has a reputation beyond reputestikapos has a reputation beyond reputestikapos has a reputation beyond reputestikapos has a reputation beyond reputestikapos has a reputation beyond reputestikapos has a reputation beyond reputestikapos has a reputation beyond reputestikapos has a reputation beyond repute

01-28-2008, 03:28 PM

You mean other than my Deano ??? If you can find an old TS, buy it and guard it with your life. I got mine for $80 and it still shoots like Gd...the old SP's had the old aegis ferrules, which played wonderfully.

tim

Old
  (#9)
cajunbarboxplyr
Beatem down wit a Varney
cajunbarboxplyr has a reputation beyond reputecajunbarboxplyr has a reputation beyond reputecajunbarboxplyr has a reputation beyond reputecajunbarboxplyr has a reputation beyond reputecajunbarboxplyr has a reputation beyond reputecajunbarboxplyr has a reputation beyond reputecajunbarboxplyr has a reputation beyond reputecajunbarboxplyr has a reputation beyond reputecajunbarboxplyr has a reputation beyond reputecajunbarboxplyr has a reputation beyond reputecajunbarboxplyr has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2850
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana...5 minutes from White Diamonds Billiards
 Send a message via ICQ to cajunbarboxplyr Send a message via AIM to cajunbarboxplyr Send a message via MSN to cajunbarboxplyr Send a message via Yahoo to cajunbarboxplyr  
01-28-2008, 03:35 PM

I hear many wonderful things bout Frey......................Can not by any means go wrong with a Varney!!!!!!!!

Cajun
Playing Cue: Varney Sneaky!
Case: Whitten Copy
Cues in the Works:
Break Cue: Varney Shop Reject J/B
Jump Cue: Varney j/b
Cue Collection: Varney And Ross

Old
  (#10)
jayburger
AzB Silver Member
jayburger has a reputation beyond reputejayburger has a reputation beyond reputejayburger has a reputation beyond reputejayburger has a reputation beyond reputejayburger has a reputation beyond reputejayburger has a reputation beyond reputejayburger has a reputation beyond reputejayburger has a reputation beyond reputejayburger has a reputation beyond reputejayburger has a reputation beyond reputejayburger has a reputation beyond repute

01-28-2008, 03:47 PM

i play with a rick howard sneaky(plays great) but i have had a josey and a leon sly and both of those played great as well. leons and ricks cues have about the same(more of a long pro taper to the shaft and just a little bit more flex than a josey and that is probably due to the taper. if leon sly reads this thread i got your cue when me and 2 buddys came to glen burnie maryland about 2 years ago and the room manager/owner put the cue up against my buddy playing the 9 ball ghost and we won. you were there.

Old
  (#11)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
01-28-2008, 04:58 PM

A Diveney...I've tried 'em all.

Old
  (#12)
cubswin
Just call me Joe...
cubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond repute

01-28-2008, 05:08 PM

best one I've owned was a sugartree. After that I'd say perhaps a scruggs from the 80's.

For the money I think its hard to beat Bob Dzuricky's sneaky's. www.dzcues.com

The real truth is its hard to find a really bad sneaky anymore.

""It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie

Old
  (#13)
Icon of Sin
Headphones Advocate!
Icon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 15960

01-28-2008, 05:10 PM

Bob Frey....

-H

Disclaimer:
I'm really a sh!t pool player and you probably shouldn't listen to any advice I may give.

Old
  (#14)
trustyrusty
I'm better with a wedge!
trustyrusty has a reputation beyond reputetrustyrusty has a reputation beyond reputetrustyrusty has a reputation beyond reputetrustyrusty has a reputation beyond reputetrustyrusty has a reputation beyond reputetrustyrusty has a reputation beyond reputetrustyrusty has a reputation beyond reputetrustyrusty has a reputation beyond reputetrustyrusty has a reputation beyond reputetrustyrusty has a reputation beyond reputetrustyrusty has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 200

01-28-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Balled
A Diveney...I've tried 'em all.
I have not tried a buncha sneakies, but I recently shot a couple of hours with a Diveney, and it played GREAT!!!

Old
  (#15)
ioCross
AzB Silver Member
ioCross has a reputation beyond reputeioCross has a reputation beyond reputeioCross has a reputation beyond reputeioCross has a reputation beyond reputeioCross has a reputation beyond reputeioCross has a reputation beyond reputeioCross has a reputation beyond reputeioCross has a reputation beyond reputeioCross has a reputation beyond reputeioCross has a reputation beyond reputeioCross has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 625

01-28-2008, 05:54 PM

scruggs make the best sneaky petes.

bob frey would be a close second, altho having used both throughly, i would prefer the scruggs over the frey... just personal preference probably.

Cue: Predator SP OB-1 shaft / Players cue(break) / Lucasi jump
tip: Moori Hard
Fav game: 9ball / one hole
hours of pool per week: um....... too many

Page 1 of 3 1 23

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: