Reload this Page Chinese Pool Tables?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Chinese Pool Tables?
Old
  (#1)
bud green
Dolley and Django
bud green has a reputation beyond reputebud green has a reputation beyond reputebud green has a reputation beyond reputebud green has a reputation beyond reputebud green has a reputation beyond reputebud green has a reputation beyond reputebud green has a reputation beyond reputebud green has a reputation beyond reputebud green has a reputation beyond reputebud green has a reputation beyond reputebud green has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

Chinese Pool Tables? - 01-30-2008, 07:18 AM

A friend who sells pool tables, and a few others, have mentioned that its getting really hard to sell decent pool tables because China is "flooding" the home market with cheap tables.

Anyone familiar with these tables? How bad are they?

I'm guessing this may be part of the reason Olhausen stopped supporting a pool tour in AZ.

Last edited by bud green; 01-30-2008 at 10:32 AM.

Old
  (#2)
Gerry
AzB Silver Member
Gerry has a reputation beyond reputeGerry has a reputation beyond reputeGerry has a reputation beyond reputeGerry has a reputation beyond reputeGerry has a reputation beyond reputeGerry has a reputation beyond reputeGerry has a reputation beyond reputeGerry has a reputation beyond reputeGerry has a reputation beyond reputeGerry has a reputation beyond reputeGerry has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

01-30-2008, 09:32 AM

2 years ago I got a table from Boston pool tables called a "9' Victory Pro", and it was most likely a "Chinese" knock off of a Gold Crown. Over all the table plays great, and went together just like the GC3's I've worked on for years.....same slate, same rails. The only PIA was they had NO directions!!!....luckily I have worked in a few pool rooms that did work on thier own tables so I had no issues. At $2600 delivered to my house with Simonis and the rails covered, the price was right, and all I really need to do is shim the pockets next time I do the rails.

I'm all for buying American, but theres something wrong when I can get basically the same table delivered from China for what $5k less then the guy down my street?!

No short term memory and no expectation!=Dead stroke!

Old
  (#3)
whitewolf
AzB Silver Member
whitewolf has a reputation beyond reputewhitewolf has a reputation beyond reputewhitewolf has a reputation beyond reputewhitewolf has a reputation beyond reputewhitewolf has a reputation beyond reputewhitewolf has a reputation beyond reputewhitewolf has a reputation beyond reputewhitewolf has a reputation beyond reputewhitewolf has a reputation beyond reputewhitewolf has a reputation beyond reputewhitewolf has a reputation beyond repute

01-30-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPG24
I used to work for a table builder/repairman

He hated those cheap tables, the way he explained it to me was.... If he assembled one and set it up in a home, he was taking a chance at hurting his reputation because many of the are built so bad that no matter how well he assembled them, there was a chance they would become unleveled or fall apart. He also talked about how the pieces frequently didn't match which made proper installation nearly impossible.
Been there done that with a stupid Chinese table. Never again. The dealer would not fix the problem, nor did they give 2 sh!ts.

I had to beg lots of people to come by and pick it up for free. Finally I got a friend of mine who was a good table mechanic to take it off my hands.

He either made new parts or realigned somehow the parts that did not fit and it plays well for him. The table did have nice slate and I had just bought top rails. But I don't miss it one iota.

A man has got to know his limitations.

Old
  (#4)
Gregg
AzB Silver Member
Gregg has a reputation beyond reputeGregg has a reputation beyond reputeGregg has a reputation beyond reputeGregg has a reputation beyond reputeGregg has a reputation beyond reputeGregg has a reputation beyond reputeGregg has a reputation beyond reputeGregg has a reputation beyond reputeGregg has a reputation beyond reputeGregg has a reputation beyond reputeGregg has a reputation beyond repute

01-30-2008, 10:26 AM

I play on my Chinese made table almost everyday.

IMO A LOT goes into the table setup in that you can setup.

A $10,000 US made table setup poorly will play poorly, or you can take some additional time to setup a Chinese table and it will outplay the US made table.

My buddy has a Valley bar table, and man the guys who set it up knew what they were doing and took their time; it plays great and has Simonis cloth.

Playing Cue: Samsara w/matched 314 (aka "Predator Cheat Stick") Sniper Tip
Jump/Break Cue: Sledgehammer
Hours of Pool: Whatever is fun for me, about 10

Old
  (#5)
Johnnyt
Burn all jump cues
Johnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 169290

01-30-2008, 10:44 AM

There is a poolroom in Tampa, Fl that has 13 of these made in China POS. I played in their the first year they got them. Pockets were coming loose. ball returns were a constant problem, and slate moving with regular play. IMO they are garbage. Johnnyt

Never Give Up

Old
  (#6)
Fatboy
AzB Silver Member
Fatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2400

01-30-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud green

I'm guessing this may be part of the reason Olhausen stopped supporting a pool tour in AZ.

olhausen is having some finiacal diffucultys now, they moved their plant from Ca to Tn, I think. Or pehaps Ky what ever the case the move was because the cost of doing biz in Ca was just to expensive, the move cost them ALOT and they have cut back on alot of advertizing, paying pros endorsment deals etc and pool tours too. I would think that when they get on their feet gain they will do something, but thats a ways off, brunswick is building a decent tablethe GC5 is a good box and parts of it are made in China as is most of all their stuff giving Brunswick larger profit margins and a cometeitive edge over Olhausen, I wont bring Diamond into this because they are making replacement barboxes and tournment 9'tables and have a different market of customers, where olhausen and Bwick targetthe home table customers. things are bleek for olhausen currently, i hope they make it.

OG member of the Lock Society members or OG-LS;

Just call me Fat-Lock

im getting old and sloppy....

Old
  (#7)
trob
AzB Silver Member
trob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond repute

01-30-2008, 12:11 PM

My table was purchased at namco. I'm fairly certain that they don't make there own tables. Anyone know who makes them? It's nothing fancy but with tournament cloth on it and accufast rails it plays pretty darn good.

8' antique Brunswick Madison
Old
  (#8)
berlowmj
AzB Silver Member
berlowmj has a reputation beyond reputeberlowmj has a reputation beyond reputeberlowmj has a reputation beyond reputeberlowmj has a reputation beyond reputeberlowmj has a reputation beyond reputeberlowmj has a reputation beyond reputeberlowmj has a reputation beyond reputeberlowmj has a reputation beyond reputeberlowmj has a reputation beyond reputeberlowmj has a reputation beyond reputeberlowmj has a reputation beyond repute

8' antique Brunswick Madison - 01-30-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
A friend who sells pool tables, and a few others, have mentioned that its getting really hard to sell decent pool tables because China is "flooding" the home market with cheap tables.

I got it for $700 including cloth, balls, rack, bridge, & set up. It is unfinished so it is not pretty. But I play on it & let my wife fantasize about refinishing it. It is hidden in the basement with my power rack & ugly improvised deadlift platform. Function over aesthetics!

Old
  (#9)
Johnnyt
Burn all jump cues
Johnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond repute

01-30-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okinawarob
I have all Chinese tables in my room since 1989. They have held up very well in a Marine Bar. The military puts a ton of use to them and they hold up. The key is to take the proper time to set up. I have just changed one to the Chinese version of the Metro. My customers love it and it plays very good. I have one table that has not been releveled once since 1998! Only recovered but I have never needed to touch the slates. I have to wonder what company these people have been dealing with to have had that much trouble with tables. This thread is sounding more like a BS knock China hype. I love the US tables guys but find it hard to believe that any room owner would not research and purchase from a respected company if they are going to base any pool room business around unknown Chinese tables. Flags are going up here. My thoughts: A good value for the savings if you are on a budget or like me on an island where shipping and customs would not make the purchase worth the additional expenses.
I can't find the brand name of the ones I was talking about. It was a 4-letter name Ileo...something like that. If I run into someone that owns or still plays there I'll post it. Johnnyt

Never Give Up

Old
  (#10)
Sporto
AzB Silver Member
Sporto is a jewel in the roughSporto is a jewel in the roughSporto is a jewel in the roughSporto is a jewel in the rough

01-30-2008, 07:08 PM

Anyone ever seen or played on a 9ft Gold Crown knock-off table like this and know the mfg/model?
Attached Images

Old
  (#11)
okinawa77
AzB Silver Member
okinawa77 has a reputation beyond reputeokinawa77 has a reputation beyond reputeokinawa77 has a reputation beyond reputeokinawa77 has a reputation beyond reputeokinawa77 has a reputation beyond reputeokinawa77 has a reputation beyond reputeokinawa77 has a reputation beyond reputeokinawa77 has a reputation beyond reputeokinawa77 has a reputation beyond reputeokinawa77 has a reputation beyond reputeokinawa77 has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via Yahoo to okinawa77  
01-30-2008, 07:33 PM

I don't know if you guys realize this, but a lot of the U.S. pool table manufacturers contract to Asia. I bought an Olhauzen recently, and the wood was from Asia, cut to Olhauzen's specifications. Of course, the dealer sold it much cheaper than the other...completely U.S. made tables.

Old
  (#12)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

01-30-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporto
Anyone ever seen or played on a 9ft Gold Crown knock-off table like this and know the mfg/model?

I've seen these in the Philippines. I think Puyat had them made. I forget what they call them. Not bad tables.

Its OUR fault....not China's.
Old
  (#13)
cueandcushion
Cue & Cushion_STL_MO
cueandcushion has a reputation beyond reputecueandcushion has a reputation beyond reputecueandcushion has a reputation beyond reputecueandcushion has a reputation beyond reputecueandcushion has a reputation beyond reputecueandcushion has a reputation beyond reputecueandcushion has a reputation beyond reputecueandcushion has a reputation beyond reputecueandcushion has a reputation beyond reputecueandcushion has a reputation beyond reputecueandcushion has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to cueandcushion  
Its OUR fault....not China's. - 01-30-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:

I think you get what you pay for. The average American wants a CHEAP table that PLAYS PERFECT. There is NO such thing. So when you make them choose, most of the time they go cheap/Chinese. Most bangers (who drive the market for home tables) cannot tell the difference in cheaper rubber or hollow sounding body. They would rather save $1000. They really don't care. China is simply filling a need in a capitalisitic market. You cannot be mad at China for fulfilling our desires. They have less regulation in terms of stains, chemicals, and work conditions or legal liability. This saves them money and they use it against us. We are so concerned as a nation for babysitting ourselves through government regulation; that we forget that every regulation sends another 1000 jobs overseas.

Someone gets sick....employer gets sued....govt regulation gets passed....safe work environment that doubles price of goods....job goes overseas....same product gets imported for half the price.

About 10 years ago, we sold 90% American and 10% Chinese tables. Now we are 60% Chinese and 40% American. Every year it goes down (American products) To my knowledge Brunswick does not have a single part of their pool tables made in America anymore. Mexico, Brazill and China makes Brunswick tables.

We are setting our own destiny with this behavior. Making China the next sole Superpower while we wallow in our consumer debt paying off tons of poorly made junk in our house that we never needed in the first place.

Done with my rant for now....
What was this thread about?

Craig - Saint Louis MO - Cue & Cushion Billiards -

Now celebrating our 50th year in business! Remember, you can help your local room survive or post about it later that it went under.

Since 1966- Family owned and family friendly

Old
  (#14)
Johnnyt
Burn all jump cues

01-30-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cueandcushion
I think you get what you pay for. The average American wants a CHEAP table that PLAYS PERFECT. There is NO such thing. So when you make them choose, most of the time they go cheap/Chinese. Most bangers (who drive the market for home tables) cannot tell the difference in cheaper rubber or hollow sounding body. They would rather save $1000. They really don't care. China is simply filling a need in a capitalisitic market. You cannot be mad at China for fulfilling our desires. They have less regulation in terms of stains, chemicals, and work conditions or legal liability. This saves them money and they use it against us. We are so concerned as a nation for babysitting ourselves through government regulation; that we forget that every regulation sends another 1000 jobs overseas.

Someone gets sick....employer gets sued....govt regulation gets passed....safe work environment that doubles price of goods....job goes overseas....same product gets imported for half the price.

About 10 years ago, we sold 90% American and 10% Chinese tables. Now we are 60% Chinese and 40% American. Every year it goes down (American products) To my knowledge Brunswick does not have a single part of their pool tables made in America anymore. Mexico, Brazill and China makes Brunswick tables.

We are setting our own destiny with this behavior. Making China the next sole Superpower while we wallow in our consumer debt paying off tons of poorly made junk in our house that we never needed in the first place.

Done with my rant for now....
What was this thread about?
Very well said though and true . Johnnyt

Never Give Up

Old
  (#15)
okinawa77
AzB Silver Member
okinawa77 has a reputation beyond reputeokinawa77 has a reputation beyond reputeokinawa77 has a reputation beyond reputeokinawa77 has a reputation beyond reputeokinawa77 has a reputation beyond reputeokinawa77 has a reputation beyond reputeokinawa77 has a reputation beyond reputeokinawa77 has a reputation beyond reputeokinawa77 has a reputation beyond reputeokinawa77 has a reputation beyond reputeokinawa77 has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via Yahoo to okinawa77  
01-30-2008, 11:55 PM

Konichiwa okinawarob san,

Just curious, in case I get a chance to visit Okinawa, what size are your tables? And how many?

Do you have a website?

Most bars/pool halls in the U.S. have websites now.

It is difficult to find places to play in Japan. I am in Yokohama at this moment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: