OB-1 transition issues

jingle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been using an OB-1 shaft on & off for a few months now (alternating with my Josey shaft). For the most part I can switch back and forth without any problems, but I have noticed a couple of lingering issues:

1) Miscues. With the OB-1 I can't go as close to the edge of the cueball as I can with my Josey. I haven't noticed this as much on side english, just on extreme draw or follow shots.

2) Swerve. The OB-1 produces a lot of swerve on extreme english shots, especially slow/soft shots. I played in a tourney a couple of weeks ago and gave up BIH twice because I completely missed the OB when trying a soft thin-hit safety using heavy english (due to swerve).

I'm not saying either shaft is better, because to be honest I'm still trying to decide that for myself. Just wondering if anyone else has similar experiences, or if it's just me?

worriedbeef

The Voice of Reason
Silver Member
2) Swerve. The OB-1 produces a lot of swerve on extreme english shots, especially slow/soft shots.

that's the only issue i have with mine too. but there again to be fair i haven't put in any proper practice with these shots to get a feel for them. the swerve i've noticed seems very consistent though and a few times i have thought about it before a shot, compensated with my aim, and been rewarded with a good hit.

on the issue of going close to the edge of the cue ball, are you using the saem tip on both shafts? with this issue the tip is a huge factor.

jingle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
worriedbeef said:
on the issue of going close to the edge of the cue ball, are you using the saem tip on both shafts? .

No, I'm not. I have a Sniper on the Josey and a Triangle on the OB-1. In my case, I don't think that's the problem. I had miscue issues using the Talisman M that was on the OB-1 originally too. I have used Triangles & Snipers for many years and never had persistent miscue issues with either.

I'm wondering if the OB-1 light end-mass doesn't allow it to stay on the cue ball and push through it as well on extreme english shots? Almost like a ricochet effect?

Runnin8

Love God, Love People
Silver Member
I'm surprised about the miscues based on my experience. My remaining issue is also swerve. I have stopped trying English when I'm on the rail because I still can't judge the swerve even though I've been using the OB-1 for about 4 months now. In all other aspects I'm loving it!:D

David Beck

Let us to Billiards!
Silver Member
The OB-1 is 12.75 mm. If your Josey is over 12.75 mm, you're hitting lower on the cue ball with the OB-1 than you think (in the case of draw).

deadwhak

whatcha lookin' at???
Silver Member
i havent practice with mine enough to notice to much..other than i draw my ball better and using inside english on one particular shot i do better..or maybe its just in my head....dont know...

cubc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I want to steal my girlfriends 314-2. I still love the way it plays. I like my schon shaft still but the 314-2 seems to be loved by most.. and even I like it.

I never got to try the ob-1 because noone around here has one. But it sounds like perhaps an oldschool meucci shaft. Good but still whippy.

jingle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
David Beck said:
The OB-1 is 12.75 mm. If your Josey is over 12.75 mm, you're hitting lower on the cue ball with the OB-1 than you think (in the case of draw).

Not a bad thought, but I don't think that is the answer either. I have 2 Josey shafts, the one I'm accustomed to is 12.75mm and the other is 12.50.

BPG24

Banned
cubc said:
I want to steal my girlfriends 314-2. I still love the way it plays. I like my schon shaft still but the 314-2 seems to be loved by most.. and even I like it.

I never got to try the ob-1 because noone around here has one. But it sounds like perhaps an oldschool meucci shaft. Good but still whippy.

Speaking of the whippyness...

OB-1 is supposed to email me back today. I have asked them about making a much stiffer model, maybe even a 11.5 - 11.75mm tip with euro taper. I sure hope they plan on making one. :)

If they did make a stiffer version it could improve the swerve issues...

oldman58

Registered
I have an OB1 on a Joss Cue and I have both the 314-2 and the Z-2 from Predator for my current Cue. I don't like either 314 or OB1 over the other. I do prefer the Z over both. With the OB1 I had a miscue problem with mines if I tried any extreme english on any part of the cue ball the first week until I took it back where I brought it and said take off whatever tip is on it and put on a Moori soft. Problem gone. I since have retired the Joss thus the OB1 also since I now shoot with a Predator P2 with both Predator shafts. I use the Z shaft mostly.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Varney Cues said:
Have you noticed Earl quit using them as well?

he is 100% done with them, he told me personally. the conversation would look like this: Fatboy asks Earl "whadda ya think of it" he replied "That ^&#$%-$%#$$ ****, and $%$#$, can stick it @#%%@#$, its the %%&#@%$^#@" this went on for longer than that but you get the point, he kept getting redder and louder. I like Earl and he has alot of good points about alot of things in pool, and he cares about pool and its future, he made alot of good points about the past, present and future of our sport. He just gets intense when he is holding a cue, but when he isnt playing or is in a good mood he is cool. However I will not put that biz in the street, its against my ethics to speak for someone else or recite their opinions. I'm reluctant to even quote him here but its known by others so I decided to.

Jonn Schmit told me it took him a good 2 months to get used to it and he likes it, he did emphasize that it took more time and effort that he expected but was worth it, we were alone when he said this and he wasnt in a sales pitch situation where he had to say something good because he is being sponsered by them, he truely likes the product, that was my read. And again he knows me, alot about me and had no reason to not be honest with me. I like John he treats me very nice and I do him, as time passes and we get to know each other we will be good friends, I's going to invite him to play snooker at my house when the table is installed, I hope he lets me video it, we will work something out i'm sure. i hope I can help make him some $$$ with that plan. He dosent know of it, unless he sees this post, if you do John you know where to get my phone number and call me, i dont check voice mail.

So there are 2 testomonials of top players and what they told me one on one about the shaft, i would like to add Earl's shafts mike g. are making really dont have a taper, they are the about the same diameter until they are about 6"-8" from the joint collar, this is because earl has a long stroke and my guess it the Taper of the OB-1 wasnt working for him, also he has been playing with regular shafts for so long that usint a engeneered shaft was just 2 different for him, i dont know what shafts he used on the Cuetecs or if he used a regular shaft and just a Cuttec butt:confused: . My guess about John is he is younger and perhaps more adaptable because of his age or thats just the way he is, I am that way to to an extent, I can adjust to most any cue, but some players cant, were all different.

2 champions 2 opinions 100% true information as it was told to me.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my experience using one, I put one on my Barry Szam and it fits ok, it dosent roll straight but that could be fixed by refacing the shaft....i think i'm not a cue maker, i wouldnt reface the joint for any shaft,

anyways I used it for a couple weeks and wow could I get alot of juice on the ball, usually too much and I couldnt get the hang of it, the cueball was going all over the place, i could create great angles, great force follow, draw etc but I never knew where the CB was gonna stop.

I asked John Schmit about that and he said "it was the same for him too". I guess thats why he took a couple months to adapt but once you have adapted to that there is alot more goodthings you can do with the CB,

I stopped using mine because the Derby was comming up and i needed to be ready for it and the difference from a regular shaft to the OB-1 is huge and there was no way I could have had time in 2 weeks to get adapted too it,

I'm gonna stick with the traditonal old school regular shafts, but if I didnt think the ob-1 was a good product I wouldnt have made these posts, its just not for me,

BPG24

Banned
oldman58 said:
I have an OB1 on a Joss Cue and I have both the 314-2 and the Z-2 from Predator for my current Cue. I don't like either 314 or OB1 over the other. I do prefer the Z over both. With the OB1 I had a miscue problem with mines if I tried any extreme english on any part of the cue ball the first week until I took it back where I brought it and said take off whatever tip is on it and put on a Moori soft. Problem gone. I since have retired the Joss thus the OB1 also since I now shoot with a Predator P2 with both Predator shafts. I use the Z shaft mostly.

I have played alot with the varying models and i agree with you. the Z shaft is simply the best of the low deflection shafts. It is so consistent!!!! I call it "point and click"

I am anxious to try a Z2. Not sure if there is enough difference to warrant spending 200 just to try it out.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Varney Cues said:
He hasn't used one since the Mosconi Cup.;)

he didnt have one in his case at the Mosconi cup to the best of my knowlege, i was in the players room and helped put his cues away the last night of the cup, and he showed me his stuff at my request, and there wasnt one in there that i could see, i didnt go digging around its not my stuff to do that with, we were talking and he started unscrewing his cues and i looked at a couple and broke one down for him, this was on the last day.up to the last day i dont know what he had in his case, by the way he talked about them it sounded like he made his mind up about them just prior to the M.Cup within a month at the most, i didnt ask when he changed his mind, i do more listing than talking with Earl, got to give him credit despite all the bad stuff people say about him, and i dont, he is a smart man. if I catch any heat for saying that about him, i'll defend my position. He just gets too intense sometimes and has had a few bad rolls in life but thats another story, but it is possible he did use one at the M.Cup but not the last day when he played great.

Back to the shafts he likes Mike G's work and says all top pros should use a real cue not the fiberglass Chinese stuff, he believes that "using a decent cue will earn a player more $$$ over time than getting a paycheck to endorse a POS in the short term" those are his words not mine, and do hold some weight I believe.

Anyone who would to pay me to endorse a cue must really hate $$$. LOL

Last edited:

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member
Fatboy said:
Back to the shafts he likes Mike G's work and says all top pros should use a real cue not the fiberglass Chinese stuff, he believes that "using a decent cue will earn a player more $$$ over time than getting a paycheck to endorse a POS in the short term" those are his words not mine, and do hold some weight I believe.

Anyone who would to pay me to endorse a cue must really hate $$$. LOL

I won more money with my old Earl Strickland model CueTec than any other cue--'cept maybe my Ned Morris.

If CueTec picked me up as player rep paying my expenses, I would have no issue whatsoever playing with one.

By the way, Earl has not beaten anybody since going back to wood cues.

cbi1000

It is what it is...
Silver Member
time

i got a ob-1 and it took be about 20 minutes to adjust to it.

Because it took me about 20 minutes to put on a new snipper tip!

HOWEVER, i come from playing with Predator 314 and 314^2 shafts. I didn't have to get use to playing with low-def shafts.

I like the OB-1 because it seems to have a better feel to me.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
David Beck said:
This was my thought too, and it could also account for the extra swerve (hitting farther from center would do both).

I can't think of any reason for extra spin or swerve if you're hitting the same spot.

pj
chgo