Props to a road player

Drater

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
(This turned out a little longer than I thought)

I recently bought a pool room -- my first adventure of this kind. It's the first time I'm not working for "the man". Given my limited experience I sometimes say/do something stupid that makes me wonder how I survived the day w/o being punched.

To itemize every stupid thing I've said or done, or to continue to share every episode would necessitate a separate forum. Instead, I'll share what I did the other day. In reality, it's much less about me and more about the guy I pissed off.

There's a lot of action here and we get "road players" coming through on a fairly regular basis. The most current road player stopped by on Monday. He showed up just a little after opening and stayed for a good 5 or 6 hours. We chatted for awhile, I let him know I own the place and could find local action for him. He struck me as a nice guy so I told him I'd play him a bit after I finished up the day's paperwork and crap.

Now, I'm not a great pool player. Really, I'm pretty terrible, and the few on here that know me will likely agree. But I love to play and I don't mind taking a shot at the road players. It's always fun and I have knocked off one or two for a few hundred.

We decide on a race to 7 for $200 on a bar box. We have 8 8' tables and 9 9' tables here, and even tho I bought the place back in August, I've played a grand total of 1 game on the 8' tables. I'm not feeling confident that I've got the best of it, but that's why they call it gambling.

The score jumps quickly to 2-0 his favor and he says, "I'll tell ya what I'll do. I'll pull back both games and we can play for $500". I laugh and suggest he pull 'em back and we play for $25 instead. He laughs and I continue with the beating.

It's now 4-0 to him and he says again, "I'll tell ya what I'll do. I'll let you buy out for $100 and I'll just tip it to your bartender." I was a little put off by this remark because it seemed to come out of the blue. We had some friendly sh*t-talking going on, but nothing (I thought) that would suggest I was ready to get out. I say, "Naw, we made a game, let's finish it. And if you win, you can just tip my bartender $200." He laughs and we continue.

Now the score is 6-4 to him and he plays the 7 and scratches. At this point I'm happy to have another shot and a chance to get the score 6-5, so I mumble to myself, "YES!". I was just excited but this utterance pissed him off. He starts saying it's uncool for me to be pulling against him, how karma is a b*tch, blah blah blah. So I take BIH, play the 8 and miss the 9. He's complaining while I'm shooting and at this point I'd rather just lose the $200 than deal with the aggravation.

So he wins the set and says, "What kind of weight do you need? Let's play for $1000!" I say, "Man, I don't need the attitude. Here's your two-hundred, I'm done." Pack up my stick and head to the bar.

I'm chatting w/ some other customers when I turn around and notice this guy is on his way out and that he's not stopping to pay his pool time ($3.50). I chase him down and get him to pay it. Which, for what it's worth, he does w/o complaint.

Here's where my stupidity comes in... he's now gone and I walk back to the bar and my bartender whispers to me, "Hey, that guy just tipped me $200". WHAT!?!?! Yeah, this guy really did give my bartender the $200 and told her to take care of his tab and to keep the change. So here I am being a nit over three dollars and fifty cents when he just gave away $200. :(

That's a gesture I didn't actually expect. Typically road players run tabs their credit cards can't handle, they walk out w/o paying, and try to rob everyone on the pool table. This guy takes 100% of his winnings, after our little spat on the table, and gives it away to a chick that served him a soda.

He came back in last night and we straightened out our little disagreement and I personally thanked him for taking such good care of my bartender. Whatever his reasons, that was a very generous thing to do and I just wanted to give him props for it. It gives me hope that pool still has a few good guys in the game.

edit: fix type-o

Last edited:

Drater

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
johnnydub said:
sounds like a good guy, did you guys match up again?

We didn't. I don't really enjoy playing on bar boxes and he doesn't like the big tables. I think he did get some action last night (had a crowd around his table), but I didn't catch the outcome. I was busy grinding for my own win against someone else.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Drater...Guys like this need to be recognized for the good things they do. You should ask him if he minds you putting his name up here for action. Our sport needs a LOT more 'roadies' like him! BTW...you're not originally from Boone are you?

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Drater

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott Lee said:
Drater...Guys like this need to be recognized for the good things they do. You should ask him if he minds you putting his name up here for action. Our sport needs a LOT more 'roadies' like him! BTW...you're not originally from Boone are you?

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I agree w/ you Scott, and that's why I posted something about him. At the same time I'm going to honor his anonymity. If it turns out there's folks here that want to match up w/ him I'll pass the information along... if he comes back this week.

No, I'm not from Boone. Military brat. Been in NC for the past 23 years, and in Greensboro for about 8. Only been to Boone twice that I can remember.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember Tom Ferry (road name Tom Martin) saying he would always tip the bartender in a new place before he started playing. He wanted to have somebody on his side.

!Smorgass Bored

Hump ? What HUMP ?
Gold Member
I don't want to sound like sour grapes or anything or take away from a kind act by a road player.... BUT
A seasoned road player that intends to snap off the entire room (or at least make some substantial scores) will 'work a room'. He made friends with the room owner, he made a grand gesture and friends with the bartender and he came back the next day and got into more action with a crowd of railbirds watching (betting?).

I like his style and knew a few players that were cut from the same cloth. Players like him are few and far between from the players looking to rob the room's patrons and stiff the help, not to mention running out on their tab or writing a bad check.

I'm certain that the older players here know exactly what I'm talking about.

Doug

Edited to add: I forgot to give props to Drater for stepping up to play the unknown road player for a few hundred jellybeans when he thought he probably had the worst of it (and he DID).... :)
Gas, food and room for the night is a good way for a road player to start off in a new city/room (even though he gave it to the bartender)... imo

Last edited:

Drater

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Smorgass Bored said:
...and stiff the help, not to mention running out on their tab or writing a bad check.

Exactly! As the room owner I like it when my staff is taken care of. We're a full bar & grill and have a solid regular customer base. It's hard (read: impossible) to get some of our regular customers to tip 15% on their $23.75 tabs once/week. When someone comes in and basically high-rolls everyone, whoever is behind the bar always appreciates it.

Drater

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Smorgass Bored said:
Edited to add: I forgot to give props to Drater for stepping up to play the unknown road player for a few hundred jellybeans when he thought he probably had the worst of it (and he DID).... :)

Hahaha. Tell ya what. Give me props when I *don't* do that. I think some of these guys come in just to play me!

!Smorgass Bored

Hump ? What HUMP ?
Gold Member
Props & Rep & A Moon Pie

Drater said:
Hahaha. Tell ya what. Give me props when I *don't* do that. I think some of these guys come in just to play me!

Well, at least let me give you some Rep.
D.

Hustler08

'' Dallas Kid ''
Silver Member
Sounds like a fun and '' happen '' pool hall, wish there was more of those in dallas!! Funny story BTW :p

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Good story and respect to both of you for him being a decent roadie and for you throwing a dog a bone.An old friend of mine by the name of Gil Black who owns a room in NY told me how when he had his room in CT he would let it be known he would play anyone who walked in the door for some cash whether it was for a 100 or so just so a player who was on the road knew he might make a few bucks to atleast get a room,food,and fare,thats a class act and good business.I know most places if you walk in the door they want your license and are making calls and checking the net for the 411 on you,nobody wants to play alittle,you will be suprised how good you can play against someone when you dont have the line on their speed,when you find out the can play they are already in your head and its downhill from there. :cool:

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Good story.

In my experience, many very seasoned, hard core road gamblers, either past or present, nice a folk as they may be, all seem to have a common trait.

When they get into a game, the extreme "killer" comes out and they morph into this cold, defensive, demon like person. A kind of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde thing that goes as fast as it comes, but I've seen it commonly in them.

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Smorgass Bored said:
I like his style and knew a few players that were cut from the same cloth.

I'm certain that the older players here know exactly what I'm talking about.

Doug

Agreed.That is the M.O of many smart roadies:cool:

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pssssst. Be careful, or somebody's gettin' ready to be taken off. Nobody, and I mean nobody who is REALLY on the road tips $200 without a motive.

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
crawfish said:
Pssssst. Be careful, or somebody's gettin' ready to be taken off. Nobody, and I mean nobody who is REALLY on the road tips $200 without a motive.

ofcourse yes.he just wants to check out the waitres`s part where the sun does not shine.:cool: :D :cool: