Reload this Page Racking Problems
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Racking Problems
Old
  (#1)
maxeypad2007
AzB Silver Member
maxeypad2007 has a reputation beyond reputemaxeypad2007 has a reputation beyond reputemaxeypad2007 has a reputation beyond reputemaxeypad2007 has a reputation beyond reputemaxeypad2007 has a reputation beyond reputemaxeypad2007 has a reputation beyond reputemaxeypad2007 has a reputation beyond reputemaxeypad2007 has a reputation beyond reputemaxeypad2007 has a reputation beyond reputemaxeypad2007 has a reputation beyond reputemaxeypad2007 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Racking Problems - 02-01-2008, 10:37 AM

Last night I spent five minutes racking each game.

This was APA 8-ball on 7 diamond smart tables with relatively new simonis cloth. We were using the diamond rack.

Basically I could not get the first three balls to freeze. What are some tips for getting the rack right quickly.

Old
  (#2)
olauzon
HANK THE TANK
olauzon has a reputation beyond reputeolauzon has a reputation beyond reputeolauzon has a reputation beyond reputeolauzon has a reputation beyond reputeolauzon has a reputation beyond reputeolauzon has a reputation beyond reputeolauzon has a reputation beyond reputeolauzon has a reputation beyond reputeolauzon has a reputation beyond reputeolauzon has a reputation beyond reputeolauzon has a reputation beyond repute

02-01-2008, 10:45 AM

tapping the head ball or first 3 on the top with another ball usually works.

Old
  (#3)
johnnydub
AzB Silver Member
johnnydub has a reputation beyond reputejohnnydub has a reputation beyond reputejohnnydub has a reputation beyond reputejohnnydub has a reputation beyond reputejohnnydub has a reputation beyond reputejohnnydub has a reputation beyond reputejohnnydub has a reputation beyond reputejohnnydub has a reputation beyond reputejohnnydub has a reputation beyond reputejohnnydub has a reputation beyond reputejohnnydub has a reputation beyond repute

02-01-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olauzon
please dont do this, if you do you get little indentations in the cloth that the balls will roll into and you will have a tougher time racking in the future

Old
  (#4)
olauzon
HANK THE TANK
olauzon has a reputation beyond reputeolauzon has a reputation beyond reputeolauzon has a reputation beyond reputeolauzon has a reputation beyond reputeolauzon has a reputation beyond reputeolauzon has a reputation beyond reputeolauzon has a reputation beyond reputeolauzon has a reputation beyond reputeolauzon has a reputation beyond reputeolauzon has a reputation beyond reputeolauzon has a reputation beyond repute

02-01-2008, 10:59 AM

i agree, but done right where it should be done and by the house owner, players would have nothing to worry about

Old
  (#5)
johnnydub
AzB Silver Member
johnnydub has a reputation beyond reputejohnnydub has a reputation beyond reputejohnnydub has a reputation beyond reputejohnnydub has a reputation beyond reputejohnnydub has a reputation beyond reputejohnnydub has a reputation beyond reputejohnnydub has a reputation beyond reputejohnnydub has a reputation beyond reputejohnnydub has a reputation beyond reputejohnnydub has a reputation beyond reputejohnnydub has a reputation beyond repute

02-01-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
i agree, but done right where it should be done and by the house owner, players would have nothing to worry about
true, but out of 100 players in halls around here, 90 of them are gonna smash that head ball with the cue ball trying to get it to stay put. I guess it depends on where you play.

Old
  (#6)
PoolSponge
AzB Silver Member
PoolSponge has a reputation beyond reputePoolSponge has a reputation beyond reputePoolSponge has a reputation beyond reputePoolSponge has a reputation beyond reputePoolSponge has a reputation beyond reputePoolSponge has a reputation beyond reputePoolSponge has a reputation beyond reputePoolSponge has a reputation beyond reputePoolSponge has a reputation beyond reputePoolSponge has a reputation beyond reputePoolSponge has a reputation beyond repute

02-01-2008, 11:02 AM

Check the spot. A lot of timest the actual paper spots get dented (from banging the top ball) and that can cause issues. If that is the case either completely remove or if the room demands just replace with a new flat sticker.

I listen. I learn. I teach. Not always in that order.

Primary Cue: Holtz Custom Cue with 314-2
Jump Cue: Holtz Custom w/purpleheart shaft
Break Cue: Gulyassy wrapless with BK 314 shaft

Old
  (#7)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

02-01-2008, 11:04 AM

This is not necessary...even on new cloth. Just SEE where the head ball sits, on or near the spot...then rack the other balls around that spot. Works EVERY time (as long as you're using a good rack...not one of those $2 plastic jobs)!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Quote:

Old
  (#8)
klockdoc
ughhhhhhhhhh
klockdoc has a reputation beyond reputeklockdoc has a reputation beyond reputeklockdoc has a reputation beyond reputeklockdoc has a reputation beyond reputeklockdoc has a reputation beyond reputeklockdoc has a reputation beyond reputeklockdoc has a reputation beyond reputeklockdoc has a reputation beyond reputeklockdoc has a reputation beyond reputeklockdoc has a reputation beyond reputeklockdoc has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to klockdoc Send a message via Yahoo to klockdoc  
02-01-2008, 11:08 AM

If you cannot get the first three balls to freeze or even come together, it is probably the rack.

I also play on diamond 7' tables and use their racks. Believe me, they are not accurate.

I have turned the rack and flipped it over to get the balls to come together. Usually, one side will work. Then identify that side by some markings so you don't have to hunt for it again.

Another thing, (I have big hands), but, I will pull the front balls backwards to the rack.

Try a different rack. Whatever you do, do not tap the front balls as previously suggested.

Good Luck

---klockdoc--

"Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak." Larry the Cable Guy

"Always give your best, never get discouraged, never be petty; always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself".
Richard Nixon, from his WH farewell address, August 9, 1974

Old
  (#9)
olauzon
HANK THE TANK

02-01-2008, 11:14 AM

sure, but isn't that what the problem was; 5 mins to find where it sits. maybe it isn't customary to tap the balls after that the circle is measured into place, but it seems logical to me and that's what i've done on new cloths.

Old
  (#10)
bsmutz
Fearlessly Happy
bsmutz has a reputation beyond reputebsmutz has a reputation beyond reputebsmutz has a reputation beyond reputebsmutz has a reputation beyond reputebsmutz has a reputation beyond reputebsmutz has a reputation beyond reputebsmutz has a reputation beyond reputebsmutz has a reputation beyond reputebsmutz has a reputation beyond reputebsmutz has a reputation beyond reputebsmutz has a reputation beyond repute

02-01-2008, 12:01 PM

There are some tables and ball sets that make it darn near impossible to get a tight rack. Sometimes you just have to be happy if you can get one ball frozen to the one. Last Wednesday I went to rack 9-ball for a practice game before league and found that the nine ball was much bigger than the solid balls. Further investigation showed that all of the stripes were bigger than the solids and the cue ball. The fifteen ball in this set weighed quite a bit less than the other balls, too. It felt like it was made of styrofoam or cardboard, it was so light.

My reality does not equal your reality, but my reality is neither > nor < your reality.

Old
  (#11)
Icon of Sin
Headphones Advocate!
Icon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 15960

02-01-2008, 12:04 PM

Just win all the time and you wont have this problem

-H

Disclaimer:
I'm really a sh!t pool player and you probably shouldn't listen to any advice I may give.

Old
  (#12)
BRKNRUN
Showin some A$$
BRKNRUN has a reputation beyond reputeBRKNRUN has a reputation beyond reputeBRKNRUN has a reputation beyond reputeBRKNRUN has a reputation beyond reputeBRKNRUN has a reputation beyond reputeBRKNRUN has a reputation beyond reputeBRKNRUN has a reputation beyond reputeBRKNRUN has a reputation beyond reputeBRKNRUN has a reputation beyond reputeBRKNRUN has a reputation beyond reputeBRKNRUN has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4430

02-01-2008, 12:20 PM

Pull the rack back toward you and turn it or even flip it over until you find the side that all the ball touch. Then push it forward to the spot.

IF all the balls won't touch no matter which way you turn the rack, try moving one of the front two balls to the back and replace with a different ball.....

If that does not work find a different rack...

Once you found that part of the rack...make note of which way it is turned...(you might even see a notch mark in the rack from someone prior that has found the best way to turn the rack)....

Once you have found a position that all the balls lock up, now just push it up so the one is as centered as possible on the spot. as you move the rack up a bit the 1-ball may move off the rack a tiny bit...just push all the other balls up to it...

Usually...the base of the 1-ball will need to be a little high on the spot, but as long as the base of the 1 ball is touching the spot...its a legal rack.

IF you can't get the 1-ball to stay frozen...pull the rack away and rub the spot with the palm of your hand....or get a damp cloth and rub the spot firmly to re-smooth it a bit...

If that does not work...It is time to announce..."I can't get them tight"...do you wanna try just racking them for yourself?

I have only had to ask that to one person in my life, and that was only because ....If he did not make a ball on the break...(no matter how well the balls spread) he felt like you gave him a rigged rack...or were moving it on the spot in order to keep him from making the wing or 1-ball.

I guess I have racked way too much in my life....

KEN

Old
  (#13)
maxeypad2007
AzB Silver Member
maxeypad2007 has a reputation beyond reputemaxeypad2007 has a reputation beyond reputemaxeypad2007 has a reputation beyond reputemaxeypad2007 has a reputation beyond reputemaxeypad2007 has a reputation beyond reputemaxeypad2007 has a reputation beyond reputemaxeypad2007 has a reputation beyond reputemaxeypad2007 has a reputation beyond reputemaxeypad2007 has a reputation beyond reputemaxeypad2007 has a reputation beyond reputemaxeypad2007 has a reputation beyond repute

02-01-2008, 12:40 PM

I've not personally used a sardo rack before.

Just curious, will the sardo REALLY give a perfect rack every time?

If so I might just suggest my team purchase one.

Old
  (#14)
BVal
AzB Silver Member
BVal has a reputation beyond reputeBVal has a reputation beyond reputeBVal has a reputation beyond reputeBVal has a reputation beyond reputeBVal has a reputation beyond reputeBVal has a reputation beyond reputeBVal has a reputation beyond reputeBVal has a reputation beyond reputeBVal has a reputation beyond reputeBVal has a reputation beyond reputeBVal has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 217

02-01-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxeypad2007
I've not personally used a sardo rack before.

Just curious, will the sardo REALLY give a perfect rack every time?

If so I might just suggest my team purchase one.
The table has to be "trained" by the Sardo rack from the begining so in this case I don't think it would be a solution. JMO

BVal

Old
  (#15)
Fatboy
AzB Silver Member
Fatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2400

02-01-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydub
please dont do this, if you do you get little indentations in the cloth that the balls will roll into and you will have a tougher time racking in the future

the first thing you do when you get a new table is tapping in all the balls, allpro players do this, for example at the Mosconi Cup in the players room was a brand new GC5 they had the balls tapped in so good that they never use the rack, hell they didnt have one. when the balls are tapped in correctly on a new table you can have all the balls freeze up,

OG member of the Lock Society members or OG-LS;

Just call me Fat-Lock

im getting old and sloppy....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: