Schon STL 15: advice and opinions PLEASE

atthecat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anyone every played with a Schon STL 15? I'm thinking about buying one and wanted to get some opinions.
Thanks

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Schon is the best production cue ever made IMO and plays better then most custom cues also,you cant go wrong with Schon,i dont know if i have ever heard anything bad about the cues. :)

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You will find that most Schons play very similar. The model number has nothing to do with the quality, just the decoration. The STL 1 has the same quality control and material selection as the STL 15.
As far as the 15 goes, it is a nice looking cue, I used to own that design with green veneers.
justisbottom.jpg

Chuck

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schon is a custom cue house with a "line" of cues they build IMO they are as custom as any.....they only have like 5 employees!! I have been selling and playing with them for 15 years, and every one plays great. I have yet to get a dog from them. My current player is an STL17 that is the finest cue I have ever owned....and I have played with Blacks, Phillippe, Joss, Black Boar, Motty, Judd...etc.

ABall

Right behind you...
Silver Member
There's some guy named Shane that shoots with a schon. I think his last name starts with a "V"? He shoots pretty damn sporty with his Schon.

jhendri2

Rack'em Sausage
Silver Member
I've owned many many Schon's over the years. Excellent cues. You won't be disappointed with owning it.

Jim

Randy9Ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My main player is a Schon R12/15 that I've had for over 20 years. Great playing cues!

poolandpokerman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have 2 now, have played with others and bought others, but always go back to a Schon, to use a politically correct phrase, they are very "player friendly".....

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play with a stl7. I don't think the model number matters much, the joint and shaft taper is the same. Weight probably is the biggest difference between different Schons.

NINEBALLART

NINEBALLART
Silver Member
Do all of you Schon users use the stock shaft that comes with the cue ???? And the tip that comes with it ??

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had an STL1 for about two months and I absolutely love it. For the longest time I've wanted to call up one of the big-shot name custom makers and have him make a 2-3k stick to my exact specifications, but now I might just stick with my $500 schon for the long haul.

I tried a Predator on my Schon and just didn't like it. I use the stock shaft, which is in my limited experience, the best shaft I've played with.

I have changed two things on my Schon: 1) I put on leather wrap instead of irish linen (thinking of going to stack leather now, as I've found I like wrapless far and away the best and stack leather is as close as one can get or so I've heard) and 2) I use a moori med tip. I just prefer a softer tip than their stock one.

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
NINEBALLART said:
Do all of you Schon users use the stock shaft that comes with the cue ???? And the tip that comes with it ??

I have tried an OB-1 on my Schon, but it just didn't do it for me after a few weeks. I played with the stock tip til it needed a change and I put on a Trianlge....which is damn close to the origional. I wish I could buy tips from Schon? I have also used Talisman medium and they are good on the Schon too.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
poolplayer2093 said:
i don't think i'd ever get one. that ss joint doesn't do anything for me

Have you tried bying it dinner first? ;)

Schon hit is top notch solid. Firm but not jarring or lacking feedback as to what you just hit. I remember ways back I hit with a Black Boar, the Schon hit is pretty similar.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
NINEBALLART said:
Stock shaft Moori medium tips. I used to like really hard tips, but once I tried the Mooris I was hooked.
Chuck

cardsfan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a SP-49 made in the 90's, tapered down the shaft to 12.5, and absolutely love it. I tried it with an OB-1, but it softened the hit too much. I also put a Moori Med tip, the Schon tip was too hard for my game. Great cue for the money, good luck with the STL-15.
s7oj9jm0.jpg