Reload this Page Ferrule length
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Ferrule length
Old
  (#1)
vLude99
AzB Silver Member
vLude99 has a reputation beyond reputevLude99 has a reputation beyond reputevLude99 has a reputation beyond reputevLude99 has a reputation beyond reputevLude99 has a reputation beyond reputevLude99 has a reputation beyond reputevLude99 has a reputation beyond reputevLude99 has a reputation beyond reputevLude99 has a reputation beyond reputevLude99 has a reputation beyond reputevLude99 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Ferrule length - 03-16-2008, 02:10 PM

Ok I'm confused. What is the difference between shafts with a short ferrule and a longer ferrule. I've only shot with cues with a longer ferrule. I've heard mixed comments about it and would like to settle this once and for all. Pros vs. Cons of each, feel of the hit and deflection characteristics.

Old
  (#2)
mr2_serious
BRUTE FORCE BABY!
mr2_serious has a reputation beyond reputemr2_serious has a reputation beyond reputemr2_serious has a reputation beyond reputemr2_serious has a reputation beyond reputemr2_serious has a reputation beyond reputemr2_serious has a reputation beyond reputemr2_serious has a reputation beyond reputemr2_serious has a reputation beyond reputemr2_serious has a reputation beyond reputemr2_serious has a reputation beyond reputemr2_serious has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to mr2_serious  
03-16-2008, 02:48 PM

They say less mass at the tip end will produce less deflection. That's why some ferrules are shorter than one inch. Something like that.

Also some companies core out the middle of the shaft(hollow area) to create less mass at the tip.

Excellence is not a skill, it's an attitude.

Old
  (#3)
masonh
AzB Silver Member
masonh has a reputation beyond reputemasonh has a reputation beyond reputemasonh has a reputation beyond reputemasonh has a reputation beyond reputemasonh has a reputation beyond reputemasonh has a reputation beyond reputemasonh has a reputation beyond reputemasonh has a reputation beyond reputemasonh has a reputation beyond reputemasonh has a reputation beyond reputemasonh has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 3100

03-16-2008, 03:54 PM

especially for heavy material as ivory,ivorine-4,ect the shorter the ferrule is the less end mass you have and the lower the deflection.

Old
  (#4)
ridewiththewind
♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
ridewiththewind has a reputation beyond reputeridewiththewind has a reputation beyond reputeridewiththewind has a reputation beyond reputeridewiththewind has a reputation beyond reputeridewiththewind has a reputation beyond reputeridewiththewind has a reputation beyond reputeridewiththewind has a reputation beyond reputeridewiththewind has a reputation beyond reputeridewiththewind has a reputation beyond reputeridewiththewind has a reputation beyond reputeridewiththewind has a reputation beyond repute

03-16-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonh
especially for heavy material as ivory,ivorine-4,ect the shorter the ferrule is the less end mass you have and the lower the deflection.

Both of my cues are running shorter ferrules...one is an LBM ferrule at 3/4" and the yellow micarta ferrules are at 5/8" each.

The explanation above makes sense as to why they would work...all I know is that they do work, and I am extremely happy with them, and they way they allow my shafts to work for me. I could not imagine playing with a cue with a full 1" ferrule now...they do not even look right to me anymore...LoL.

Lisa

There are 350 varieties of shark, not counting loan and pool.
L. M. Boyd

What's the point of havin' a rapier wit if I can't use it to stab people?
- Jeph Jacques

Old
  (#5)
JimS
Grandpa & his grand boys.
JimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4050
Location: Jim Sward 311 E. Main, Suite 317 Galesburg, Il 61401

03-16-2008, 06:52 PM

What is the agrument FOR a longer ferrule. There are still a lot them. Why? Is it the feel?

"The average man seeks certainty in the eye of the onlooker and calls that self-confidence.
The warrior seeks impeccability in his own eye and calls that humbleness."
Carlos Castenada

"Make no distinction between the difficult and the less difficult shot but apply yourself completely to each opportunity to strike a pool ball". Mark Wilson

"No nonchalantin at the pool table!" Sailor

Live like somebody left the gate open!

Old
  (#6)
Masayoshi
Fusenshou no Masa
Masayoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMasayoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMasayoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMasayoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMasayoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMasayoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMasayoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMasayoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMasayoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMasayoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMasayoshi has a reputation beyond repute

03-16-2008, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimS
What is the agrument FOR a longer ferrule. There are still a lot them. Why? Is it the feel?
looks better

Old
  (#7)
TheBook
Ret Professional Goof Off
TheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond repute

03-16-2008, 10:20 PM

A longer furrule can help you find your aiming point.

A 1" ferrule with the thickness of the tip is close to 1 1/8". This is equal to the radius of the CB. You can use this as a guide when trying to find your aim spot using the ghost ball method. Line the cue up close to the OB to see where you have to hit it. Look at where the back end of the ferrule is. Keep your eye on that spot and that is where you aim the center of the CB.

Old
  (#8)
rackem
SUPPORT CLUB MEMBERSHIP
rackem has a reputation beyond reputerackem has a reputation beyond reputerackem has a reputation beyond reputerackem has a reputation beyond reputerackem has a reputation beyond reputerackem has a reputation beyond reputerackem has a reputation beyond reputerackem has a reputation beyond reputerackem has a reputation beyond reputerackem has a reputation beyond reputerackem has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

03-16-2008, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBook
A longer furrule can help you find your aiming point.

A 1" ferrule with the thickness of the tip is close to 1 1/8". This is equal to the radius of the CB. You can use this as a guide when trying to find your aim spot using the ghost ball method. Line the cue up close to the OB to see where you have to hit it. Look at where the back end of the ferrule is. Keep your eye on that spot and that is where you aim the center of the CB.
So I guess meucci cues are made for playing with the big cue ball.

Old
  (#9)
Fatboy
AzB Silver Member
Fatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2400

03-17-2008, 05:06 AM

i have been a 1" rerrule guy for years but recently i have been liking the look of shorter ones, i have played with 2 cues that had them and liked them both. i never did like the look of the 1 1/4" ferrule.

OG member of the Lock Society members or OG-LS;

Just call me Fat-Lock

im getting old and sloppy....

Old
  (#10)
TheBook
Ret Professional Goof Off
TheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond repute

03-17-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackem
So I guess meucci cues are made for playing with the big cue ball.

That could be right. Meucci cues were very popular years ago when the big ball was the only CB used on BB's.

Old
  (#11)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

03-17-2008, 10:39 AM

I love how threads get started about things that I just experienced recently. Just this past weekend I was playing with a Meucci Black Dot shaft and it had the longest ferrule I ever played with. I thought my Samsara had a long one till I saw the Meucci. It hit very nice though. Was my 1st time playing with a Meucci since the late 80s, and it had a much better hit than I remember. The older one's had almost a glass type feel on contact, this one was just firm and smooth. For a non-standard shaft it hit very close to my Joss.

The shorter ferrules will cause less deflection. Hhowever, I am finding out through experience that less deflection does not automaticaly enable you to make more balls. I went from a regular shaft to an OB1, and dropped a level of play for 3 weeks. Did not seem to do any better with practice. I just could not make a cut shot at more than a few degrees. I am starting to edge toward judging a shaft solely on how it feels when it contacts the cueball and how the taper and diameter feel when sliding along my bridge.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Old
  (#12)
Peer
Norwegian in California
Peer has a reputation beyond reputePeer has a reputation beyond reputePeer has a reputation beyond reputePeer has a reputation beyond reputePeer has a reputation beyond reputePeer has a reputation beyond reputePeer has a reputation beyond reputePeer has a reputation beyond reputePeer has a reputation beyond reputePeer has a reputation beyond reputePeer has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

03-17-2008, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vLude99
What is the difference between shafts with a short ferrule and a longer ferrule. I've only shot with cues with a longer ferrule. I've heard mixed comments about it and would like to settle this once and for all. Pros vs. Cons of each, feel of the hit and deflection characteristics.
Here's a picture of my Parris 2mm ferrule -- this cue has less squirt than both my Z and Z2 shaft cues, (even less than Bob Jewett's ferrule-less Balabushka)
Attached Images

Last edited by Peer; 03-17-2008 at 11:38 PM.

Old
  (#13)
AZE
DeucesCracked Instructor
AZE has a reputation beyond reputeAZE has a reputation beyond reputeAZE has a reputation beyond reputeAZE has a reputation beyond reputeAZE has a reputation beyond reputeAZE has a reputation beyond reputeAZE has a reputation beyond reputeAZE has a reputation beyond reputeAZE has a reputation beyond reputeAZE has a reputation beyond reputeAZE has a reputation beyond repute

03-18-2008, 02:11 AM

Shorter Ferrules FTW, imo.

Old
  (#14)
Peer
Norwegian in California
Peer has a reputation beyond reputePeer has a reputation beyond reputePeer has a reputation beyond reputePeer has a reputation beyond reputePeer has a reputation beyond reputePeer has a reputation beyond reputePeer has a reputation beyond reputePeer has a reputation beyond reputePeer has a reputation beyond reputePeer has a reputation beyond reputePeer has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

03-18-2008, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZE
Shorter Ferrules FTW, imo.
Since I have no idea what FTW means, I had to look it up... which didn't help much:

FTW -- Face the World
FTW -- Families Than Work
FTW -- Feel The Wind
FTW -- Fight to Win
FTW -- Florida Tax Watch
FTW -- Flying Training Wing
FTW -- For the Weak
FTW -- For the Win
FTW -- For the World
FTW -- For Those Wondering
FTW -- Forever Two Wheels
FTW -- Forget The World (polite form)
FTW -- Forschungszentrum Telekommunikation Wien (Vienna, Austria)
FTW -- Fort Wainwright, Alaska
FTW -- Fort Worth Meacham Field (Airport Code)
FTW -- Forward Towards Wing (Hattrick, online game)
FTW -- Frank the Welder (mountain bikes)
FTW -- Free the Weed
FTW -- Free the Whales
FTW -- Free The Wookies (humor)
FTW -- Free Trade Wharf
FTW -- Future Technology Workshop

-- peer

Old
  (#15)
nthamix
Judd cues
nthamix has a reputation beyond reputenthamix has a reputation beyond reputenthamix has a reputation beyond reputenthamix has a reputation beyond reputenthamix has a reputation beyond reputenthamix has a reputation beyond reputenthamix has a reputation beyond reputenthamix has a reputation beyond reputenthamix has a reputation beyond reputenthamix has a reputation beyond reputenthamix has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2600
  Send a message via MSN to nthamix  
03-18-2008, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer
Since I have no idea what FTW means, I had to look it up... which didn't help much:

FTW -- Face the World
FTW -- Families Than Work
FTW -- Feel The Wind
FTW -- Fight to Win
FTW -- Florida Tax Watch
FTW -- Flying Training Wing
FTW -- For the Weak
FTW -- For the Win
FTW -- For the World
FTW -- For Those Wondering
FTW -- Forever Two Wheels
FTW -- Forget The World (polite form)
FTW -- Forschungszentrum Telekommunikation Wien (Vienna, Austria)
FTW -- Fort Wainwright, Alaska
FTW -- Fort Worth Meacham Field (Airport Code)
FTW -- Forward Towards Wing (Hattrick, online game)
FTW -- Frank the Welder (mountain bikes)
FTW -- Free the Weed
FTW -- Free the Whales
FTW -- Free The Wookies (humor)
FTW -- Free Trade Wharf
FTW -- Future Technology Workshop

-- peer

wtf.......

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: