One Pocket league.

supergreenman

truly addicted
Silver Member
I have enough people in my league interested in playing in a one pocket division. Does anybody here run a one pocket league?

How do you score matches, calculate handicaps and all that?

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Thanks,

SGM

longhair

Boyd Porter-Reynolds
Silver Member
I wish I had this problem. The handicapping system that comes to mind for me is this:

Keep races short. Five games (race to three) might take an evening for some players. You should decide as a group how long you want to be there each week.

Each player has a number which is the number of balls they need to have to win with no upward limit and a minimum of one or two. This means that matches between weak players won't use the whole rack and won't take that long while matches between strong players might require spotting balls. Make your best guess about where to start everyone and tell them up front that you might be wrong, but it will work out over time.

Two wins in a row means a player's number goes up one, two losses in a row means a player's number goes down one. If there is money to be distributed, paying per win will minimize sandbagging, although, of course it won't eliminate it altogether.

That's my idea, I hope you get this going and it works for you.

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ran a tournament that used a system like Longhair's proposal. So the handicap chart might say that a match should be 17-6. Flip for the break, play out the first rack and save the score, switch breakers for the second rack, and then keep adding to the points from the first rack until someone hits their target. It worked pretty well, though the tournament eventually collapsed because most of the 1P players would rather be gambling and so did not consistently show up.

I think the original idea for this format came from Tom in Cincy.

Good luck

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
Tom is still on the as

Tom In Cincy
AKA SactownTom

I talk to him all the time about 1pocket leagues and rules in general; he is always willing to help and promote the games....

Craig