9-Ball Racking Question

Pjadedd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My only experience with 9-ball (and pool in general) is watching it on TV and playing in my own home. I have a question about racking the balls in 9-ball. I know (obviously) that the 1 goes in the front, the 9 in the middle, and the other balls go in randomly. Here's my question, though. If the balls are racked in a particular way in the first game, do they have to be racked that way throughout the rest of a match (if it's a race to 9, for instance, do all the racks have to have the balls in the same position every time)?

PJ

Pjadedd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's what I thought (based on what I've seen on TV), but I wanted to make sure that's how it's always done. Thanks!

PJ

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
If you watch matches like at the US OPEN when they play rack your own, you will notice a lot of the players will rack the exact same rack every time. They have a good idea where each ball will go after the break and the path for a break and run is similar every rack.

longhair

Boyd Porter-Reynolds
Silver Member
cleary said:
If you watch matches like at the US OPEN when they play rack your own, you will notice a lot of the players will rack the exact same rack every time. They have a good idea where each ball will go after the break and the path for a break and run is similar every rack.
I've seen that and I've seen refs do it. By the rules as I understand them this is cheating. If we want to be deliberate about where the balls in the rack should be, we need to change the rules.

Poolfiend

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Obviously every table breaks a little different and every player has shots that they like and dislike, but isn't there a layout that is supposed to produce a more difficult runout and one that is supposed to produce an easier runout?

desert1pocket

Registered Fish
Silver Member
Poolfiend said:
Obviously every table breaks a little different and every player has shots that they like and dislike, but isn't there a layout that is supposed to produce a more difficult runout and one that is supposed to produce an easier runout?

Yes, and opinions vary on it. There are several books that address just that.

Hierovision

Dios mio, man.
Silver Member
There is definitely an easier setup and a harder setup, which is why the rule is in place at all. If your opponent or ref is racking a certain pattern every time, and it is obviously the same pattern every time, I would call them on it (unless they're giving you the easier rack of course :p)

Poolfiend

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone care to share the two different racking orders for hardest and easiest layouts.

Who wrote the book on racking secrets?

Thank you in advance.

worldison2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joe Tucker

Poolfiend said:
Anyone care to share the two different racking orders for hardest and easiest layouts.

Thank you in advance.
Joe wrote the book on racking secrets in 1999 and it is still the bible of racking. I know several great players who swear by it.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
If you ever play me, rack like this for me:

And Ill rack like this for you:

klockdoc

ughhhhhhhhhh
Silver Member
Where do the balls go?

Poolfiend said:

Thank you in advance.

Bob Jewett has an article on his web site by Dr. George Onoda. On pages 6 & 7 in this seven article .pdf file, he shows where the balls actually go when broke in a 9 ball rack and the speed that they travel. Very interesting read. http://www.sfbilliards.com/onoda_all_txt.pdf

Also, all Bob's articles are very interesting and knowledgeable for all pool players. They can be found at, http://www.sfbilliards.com/articles/BD_articles.html

When racking for me, I place the balls as follows
38 (three on the side I am breaking from)

This will allow the 2 to come up table with the 1 and the cue ball. The 3 will stay somewhere around the side pocket for easier position playing.

If you are breaking, I rack about the same, but, I put the 2 where the 5 was and the 3 where the 2 was. This will keep the 2 at that end of the table away from the 1 and the 3 back up in the location of the 1. So the opponent has to go back and forth from one end to the other.

Edited to remove one of the 5's. Got caught..:)

Last edited:

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
klockdoc said:
When racking for me, I place the balls as follows
38 (three on the side I am breaking from)

You should trade in one of your 5 balls for a 7 ball. :)

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
9-ball rack

cleary said:

<<<<<<,,and thats the "Truth" if it ever was told!

David Harcrow

av84fun

Banned
longhair said:
I've seen that and I've seen refs do it. By the rules as I understand them this is cheating. If we want to be deliberate about where the balls in the rack should be, we need to change the rules.

The rule is somewhat ambiguous. It does not say that the balls (other than the 9) must be racked "randomly" but in random ORDER.

The argument could be made that so long as they are not racked in consecutive numeric order...1,2,3,9,4,5,6,7,8 that the ORDER is therefore random.

I don't agree with that because "random" means

1. Having no specific pattern, purpose, or objective:

So, if a player racks the same way every time, there clearly is a pattern, purpose and objective.

Problem is that few refs are english majors. And even if they were, other than blindfolding the racker there would be no way to PROVE intentional ball placement.

Even if a specific ball ends up in exactly the same place, say, 3 times in a row, probabilities suggest that can happen randomly.

Besides, tactical racking is an age old practice and even property LAW can be changed by "custom and practices."

I think there would be little chance of getting the true random racking rule enforced in tournements and zero in gambling matches.

Regards,
Jim

5.2 RACKING THE BALLS
The object balls are racked in a diamond shape, with the 1-ball at the top of the diamond and on the foot
spot, the 9-ball in the center of the diamond, and the other balls in random order, racked as tightly as
possible. The game begins with cue ball in hand behind the head string.

klockdoc

ughhhhhhhhhh
Silver Member
cleary said:
You should trade in one of your 5 balls for a 7 ball. :)
If I have two 5's, it is easier to get position on the 6. LOL My mistake. Thanks for catching. At work and in a rush to get home.