Reload this Page 9-Ball Racking Question
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
9-Ball Racking Question
Old
  (#1)
Pjadedd
AzB Silver Member
Pjadedd has a reputation beyond reputePjadedd has a reputation beyond reputePjadedd has a reputation beyond reputePjadedd has a reputation beyond reputePjadedd has a reputation beyond reputePjadedd has a reputation beyond reputePjadedd has a reputation beyond reputePjadedd has a reputation beyond reputePjadedd has a reputation beyond reputePjadedd has a reputation beyond reputePjadedd has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

9-Ball Racking Question - 03-19-2008, 07:45 AM

My only experience with 9-ball (and pool in general) is watching it on TV and playing in my own home. I have a question about racking the balls in 9-ball. I know (obviously) that the 1 goes in the front, the 9 in the middle, and the other balls go in randomly. Here's my question, though. If the balls are racked in a particular way in the first game, do they have to be racked that way throughout the rest of a match (if it's a race to 9, for instance, do all the racks have to have the balls in the same position every time)?

PJ

Old
  (#2)
TXsouthpaw
My tush hog
TXsouthpaw has a reputation beyond reputeTXsouthpaw has a reputation beyond reputeTXsouthpaw has a reputation beyond reputeTXsouthpaw has a reputation beyond reputeTXsouthpaw has a reputation beyond reputeTXsouthpaw has a reputation beyond reputeTXsouthpaw has a reputation beyond reputeTXsouthpaw has a reputation beyond reputeTXsouthpaw has a reputation beyond reputeTXsouthpaw has a reputation beyond reputeTXsouthpaw has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

03-19-2008, 07:51 AM

no they do not

When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience.- Proverb

Old
  (#3)
kryptonite9
AzB Silver Member
kryptonite9 has a reputation beyond reputekryptonite9 has a reputation beyond reputekryptonite9 has a reputation beyond reputekryptonite9 has a reputation beyond reputekryptonite9 has a reputation beyond reputekryptonite9 has a reputation beyond reputekryptonite9 has a reputation beyond reputekryptonite9 has a reputation beyond reputekryptonite9 has a reputation beyond reputekryptonite9 has a reputation beyond reputekryptonite9 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 400

03-19-2008, 07:54 AM

By the rules, all the other balls should be at random every rack.

Old
  (#4)
Pjadedd
AzB Silver Member
Pjadedd has a reputation beyond reputePjadedd has a reputation beyond reputePjadedd has a reputation beyond reputePjadedd has a reputation beyond reputePjadedd has a reputation beyond reputePjadedd has a reputation beyond reputePjadedd has a reputation beyond reputePjadedd has a reputation beyond reputePjadedd has a reputation beyond reputePjadedd has a reputation beyond reputePjadedd has a reputation beyond repute

03-19-2008, 07:59 AM

That's what I thought (based on what I've seen on TV), but I wanted to make sure that's how it's always done. Thanks!

PJ

Old
  (#5)
cleary
Honestly, I'm a liar.
cleary has a reputation beyond reputecleary has a reputation beyond reputecleary has a reputation beyond reputecleary has a reputation beyond reputecleary has a reputation beyond reputecleary has a reputation beyond reputecleary has a reputation beyond reputecleary has a reputation beyond reputecleary has a reputation beyond reputecleary has a reputation beyond reputecleary has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 8500
  Send a message via AIM to cleary  
03-19-2008, 08:08 AM

If you watch matches like at the US OPEN when they play rack your own, you will notice a lot of the players will rack the exact same rack every time. They have a good idea where each ball will go after the break and the path for a break and run is similar every rack.

Old
  (#6)
longhair
Boyd Porter-Reynolds
longhair has a reputation beyond reputelonghair has a reputation beyond reputelonghair has a reputation beyond reputelonghair has a reputation beyond reputelonghair has a reputation beyond reputelonghair has a reputation beyond reputelonghair has a reputation beyond reputelonghair has a reputation beyond reputelonghair has a reputation beyond reputelonghair has a reputation beyond reputelonghair has a reputation beyond repute

03-19-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleary
If you watch matches like at the US OPEN when they play rack your own, you will notice a lot of the players will rack the exact same rack every time. They have a good idea where each ball will go after the break and the path for a break and run is similar every rack.
I've seen that and I've seen refs do it. By the rules as I understand them this is cheating. If we want to be deliberate about where the balls in the rack should be, we need to change the rules.

Boyd

Old
  (#7)
Poolfiend
AzB Gold Member
Poolfiend has a reputation beyond reputePoolfiend has a reputation beyond reputePoolfiend has a reputation beyond reputePoolfiend has a reputation beyond reputePoolfiend has a reputation beyond reputePoolfiend has a reputation beyond reputePoolfiend has a reputation beyond reputePoolfiend has a reputation beyond reputePoolfiend has a reputation beyond reputePoolfiend has a reputation beyond reputePoolfiend has a reputation beyond repute

03-19-2008, 12:18 PM

Obviously every table breaks a little different and every player has shots that they like and dislike, but isn't there a layout that is supposed to produce a more difficult runout and one that is supposed to produce an easier runout?

Old
  (#8)
desert1pocket
Registered Fish
desert1pocket has a reputation beyond reputedesert1pocket has a reputation beyond reputedesert1pocket has a reputation beyond reputedesert1pocket has a reputation beyond reputedesert1pocket has a reputation beyond reputedesert1pocket has a reputation beyond reputedesert1pocket has a reputation beyond reputedesert1pocket has a reputation beyond reputedesert1pocket has a reputation beyond reputedesert1pocket has a reputation beyond reputedesert1pocket has a reputation beyond repute

03-19-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolfiend
Obviously every table breaks a little different and every player has shots that they like and dislike, but isn't there a layout that is supposed to produce a more difficult runout and one that is supposed to produce an easier runout?

Yes, and opinions vary on it. There are several books that address just that.

Old
  (#9)
Hierovision
Dios mio, man.
Hierovision has a reputation beyond reputeHierovision has a reputation beyond reputeHierovision has a reputation beyond reputeHierovision has a reputation beyond reputeHierovision has a reputation beyond reputeHierovision has a reputation beyond reputeHierovision has a reputation beyond reputeHierovision has a reputation beyond reputeHierovision has a reputation beyond reputeHierovision has a reputation beyond reputeHierovision has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5750

03-19-2008, 12:26 PM

There is definitely an easier setup and a harder setup, which is why the rule is in place at all. If your opponent or ref is racking a certain pattern every time, and it is obviously the same pattern every time, I would call them on it (unless they're giving you the easier rack of course )

-{Zack Nichols}-
The most inconsistent B player on Earth

I'm in love with Kurzweil's Country Meats.

Billiards blogs I read regularly:
Billiards Traveler
OMGWTF's MassiveUnderstatement

Old
  (#10)
Poolfiend
AzB Gold Member
Poolfiend has a reputation beyond reputePoolfiend has a reputation beyond reputePoolfiend has a reputation beyond reputePoolfiend has a reputation beyond reputePoolfiend has a reputation beyond reputePoolfiend has a reputation beyond reputePoolfiend has a reputation beyond reputePoolfiend has a reputation beyond reputePoolfiend has a reputation beyond reputePoolfiend has a reputation beyond reputePoolfiend has a reputation beyond repute

03-19-2008, 12:36 PM

Anyone care to share the two different racking orders for hardest and easiest layouts.

Who wrote the book on racking secrets?

Thank you in advance.

Joe Tucker
Old
  (#11)
worldison2
AzB Silver Member
worldison2 has a reputation beyond reputeworldison2 has a reputation beyond reputeworldison2 has a reputation beyond reputeworldison2 has a reputation beyond reputeworldison2 has a reputation beyond reputeworldison2 has a reputation beyond reputeworldison2 has a reputation beyond reputeworldison2 has a reputation beyond reputeworldison2 has a reputation beyond reputeworldison2 has a reputation beyond reputeworldison2 has a reputation beyond repute

Joe Tucker - 03-19-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Anyone care to share the two different racking orders for hardest and easiest layouts.

Thank you in advance.
Joe wrote the book on racking secrets in 1999 and it is still the bible of racking. I know several great players who swear by it.

Old
  (#12)
cigardave
Who's got a light?
cigardave has a reputation beyond reputecigardave has a reputation beyond reputecigardave has a reputation beyond reputecigardave has a reputation beyond reputecigardave has a reputation beyond reputecigardave has a reputation beyond reputecigardave has a reputation beyond reputecigardave has a reputation beyond reputecigardave has a reputation beyond reputecigardave has a reputation beyond reputecigardave has a reputation beyond repute

03-19-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Joe Tucker... DVD now available.

Old
  (#13)
cleary
Honestly, I'm a liar.
cleary has a reputation beyond reputecleary has a reputation beyond reputecleary has a reputation beyond reputecleary has a reputation beyond reputecleary has a reputation beyond reputecleary has a reputation beyond reputecleary has a reputation beyond reputecleary has a reputation beyond reputecleary has a reputation beyond reputecleary has a reputation beyond reputecleary has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 8500
  Send a message via AIM to cleary  
03-19-2008, 01:07 PM

If you ever play me, rack like this for me:

And Ill rack like this for you:

Old
  (#14)
MinoInADixeCup
AzB Silver Member
MinoInADixeCup has a reputation beyond reputeMinoInADixeCup has a reputation beyond reputeMinoInADixeCup has a reputation beyond reputeMinoInADixeCup has a reputation beyond reputeMinoInADixeCup has a reputation beyond reputeMinoInADixeCup has a reputation beyond reputeMinoInADixeCup has a reputation beyond reputeMinoInADixeCup has a reputation beyond reputeMinoInADixeCup has a reputation beyond reputeMinoInADixeCup has a reputation beyond reputeMinoInADixeCup has a reputation beyond repute

03-19-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleary
If you ever play me, rack like this for me:

And Ill rack like this for you:

Printing.........
I'm going to play around with this a bit tonight.

Where do the balls go?
Old
  (#15)
klockdoc
ughhhhhhhhhh
klockdoc has a reputation beyond reputeklockdoc has a reputation beyond reputeklockdoc has a reputation beyond reputeklockdoc has a reputation beyond reputeklockdoc has a reputation beyond reputeklockdoc has a reputation beyond reputeklockdoc has a reputation beyond reputeklockdoc has a reputation beyond reputeklockdoc has a reputation beyond reputeklockdoc has a reputation beyond reputeklockdoc has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to klockdoc Send a message via Yahoo to klockdoc  
Where do the balls go? - 03-19-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:

Thank you in advance.

Bob Jewett has an article on his web site by Dr. George Onoda. On pages 6 & 7 in this seven article .pdf file, he shows where the balls actually go when broke in a 9 ball rack and the speed that they travel. Very interesting read. http://www.sfbilliards.com/onoda_all_txt.pdf

Also, all Bob's articles are very interesting and knowledgeable for all pool players. They can be found at, http://www.sfbilliards.com/articles/BD_articles.html

When racking for me, I place the balls as follows
38 (three on the side I am breaking from)

This will allow the 2 to come up table with the 1 and the cue ball. The 3 will stay somewhere around the side pocket for easier position playing.

If you are breaking, I rack about the same, but, I put the 2 where the 5 was and the 3 where the 2 was. This will keep the 2 at that end of the table away from the 1 and the 3 back up in the location of the 1. So the opponent has to go back and forth from one end to the other.

Edited to remove one of the 5's. Got caught..

---klockdoc--

"Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak." Larry the Cable Guy

"Always give your best, never get discouraged, never be petty; always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself".
Richard Nixon, from his WH farewell address, August 9, 1974

Last edited by klockdoc; 03-20-2008 at 05:48 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: