Reload this Page Breaking Mosconi's 526
Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Breaking Mosconi's 526
Old
  (#1)
huckster
AzB Silver Member
huckster has a reputation beyond reputehuckster has a reputation beyond reputehuckster has a reputation beyond reputehuckster has a reputation beyond reputehuckster has a reputation beyond reputehuckster has a reputation beyond reputehuckster has a reputation beyond reputehuckster has a reputation beyond reputehuckster has a reputation beyond reputehuckster has a reputation beyond reputehuckster has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Breaking Mosconi's 526 - 03-19-2008, 09:36 PM

Everyone,
I have always wanted to see pool's most known record (Mosconi running 526) challenged and possibly eclipsed. I have been an avid player and lifelong fan of pool. I am very fortunate to be in a financial position to do something in pool for both mine and "the pool world's" satisfaction. Since I no longer play pool I really want to see someone break the 526 mark. I want to try to find sponsership or to try to obtain an insurance policy (i.e Lloyd's of London) in conjunction with a sizable contribution from my own funds, to see if I could raise a guaranteed 1 million prize to anyone that could break Willie's 526. I want to set up a "loose" if possible Diamond at most major tournaments and charge a nominal ($100) entry to try and find a champion to run 527. I am willing to put my money in this venture if I can secure a policy or additional sponsership to make this happen. Anyone that has any ideas please share them with me. Fortunatly I am in a position where I can make something like this happen and it would be great for the game. It may draw interest to a lost artform (14.1) Greg Sullivan please PM me with a way to get a hold of you I would like your input about your tables for this. This could be like the million dollar challenge that Earl won, but with this whomever could break the record would get the advertised prize (whatever that would be I want to at least make it a mill, I will heavily support this). I think I can make this happen any ideas please share them.

Last edited by huckster; 03-20-2008 at 02:44 AM.

Old
  (#2)
Fast Lenny
♠ ♥ ONTHERAILTV.COM ♣ ♦
Fast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1275

03-19-2008, 09:57 PM

I would suggest several tables as one wont be enough as those high runs take forever,so i would say atleast 5 tables.Then i would charge a $100 a head but at the end of the event i would give the person with the highest run a percentage of the entries so they still walk with something decent.

GO TO WWW.ONTHERAILTV.COM FOR SOME GREAT POOL CONTENT!

Old
  (#3)
av84fun
Banned
av84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond repute

03-19-2008, 10:10 PM

Sir...congratulations to you for conceiving of this novel and interesting challenge. I wish you well.

However, I don't think there is anyone alive today who could come close. None of the top pros of today have dedicated decades of their lives almost exclusively to 14.1.

And those who did back in the day, like Willie, ran 125-50 and out did so only 10% of the time or less.

In spite of straight pool's well deserved reputation for involving less luck than 9 Ball, it certainly is not devoid of luck as the above statistic shows.

Breaking into the rack and into secondary clusters involves a meaningful degree of luck that often conspires to end runs at the 25-50 ball mark.

In addition, leaving an ideal break shot, in itself, is no walk in the park.

All told, I would guess (because I don't have actual statistics) is that the average run of the top pros of the Mosconi era (and earlier) after the first open break shot would be between 35-50 balls suggesting that it would take 10 -15 attempts to get to 526.

That all goes to show what a spectacular feat it was...and Babe Cranfield's run of 768 in practice in the presence of credible witnesses.

But I doubt that many players would part with even $100.00 to even try.

But again, I applaud your creativity and generosity.

Regards,
Jim

Old
  (#4)
av84fun
Banned
av84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond repute

03-19-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Lenny
I would suggest several tables as one wont be enough as those high runs take forever,so i would say atleast 5 tables.Then i would charge a $100 a head but at the end of the event i would give the person with the highest run a percentage of the entries so they still walk with something decent.
Excellent idea and similar to Bob Jewett's Straight Pool Challenge at DCC.

Numerous players would compete for the high run prize and the million dollar "Mosconi Prize" would certainly add some marketing pizzaz.

Regards,
Jim

Old
  (#5)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

03-19-2008, 10:17 PM

Can they play on 4 3/4" corner pockets too?

Old
  (#6)
the420trooper
Free T-Rex
the420trooper has a reputation beyond reputethe420trooper has a reputation beyond reputethe420trooper has a reputation beyond reputethe420trooper has a reputation beyond reputethe420trooper has a reputation beyond reputethe420trooper has a reputation beyond reputethe420trooper has a reputation beyond reputethe420trooper has a reputation beyond reputethe420trooper has a reputation beyond reputethe420trooper has a reputation beyond reputethe420trooper has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 800

03-19-2008, 10:25 PM

I think John Schmidt could make this happen in a couple of months, if there's a million dollar prize. He may be the best straight pool player alive, and if given this kind of incentive, he would work at it, day after day. He would evenually have a day where he didn't make any errors at all.

Old
  (#7)
Fast Lenny
♠ ♥ ONTHERAILTV.COM ♣ ♦
Fast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond repute

03-19-2008, 10:33 PM

I also believe the insurance company would want it all taped also.

Old
  (#8)
Jimmy M.
Insomniac
Jimmy M. has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy M. has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy M. has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy M. has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy M. has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy M. has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy M. has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy M. has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy M. has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy M. has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy M. has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 8950

03-19-2008, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by av84fun
However, I don't think there is anyone alive today who could come close. None of the top pros of today have dedicated decades of their lives almost exclusively to 14.1.
Thomas Engert ran 491. That's pretty close as far as I'm concerned.

Old
  (#9)
Fast Lenny
♠ ♥ ONTHERAILTV.COM ♣ ♦

03-20-2008, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy M.
Thomas Engert ran 491. That's pretty close as far as I'm concerned.
So that is the official high run on a 9 footer?

Old
  (#10)
Jimmy M.
Insomniac
Jimmy M. has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy M. has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy M. has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy M. has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy M. has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy M. has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy M. has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy M. has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy M. has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy M. has a reputation beyond reputeJimmy M. has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 8950

03-20-2008, 01:48 AM

Quote:
So that is the official high run on a 9 footer?
I honestly don't know. I know it's his high run, and he lists it on his site as if it's a record of some sort, but I'm not sure what the official high run on a 9' table is.

526 will be very, very tough to beat. I'm not saying it can't happen, or it won't happen, but someone still has to step up and do it. It is definitely not a foregone conclusion that it will happen.

Old
  (#11)
huckster
AzB Silver Member
huckster has a reputation beyond reputehuckster has a reputation beyond reputehuckster has a reputation beyond reputehuckster has a reputation beyond reputehuckster has a reputation beyond reputehuckster has a reputation beyond reputehuckster has a reputation beyond reputehuckster has a reputation beyond reputehuckster has a reputation beyond reputehuckster has a reputation beyond reputehuckster has a reputation beyond repute

03-20-2008, 02:49 AM

Quote:
I like the idea of a couple tables, but I do not want to overdue it. Maybe two or three. I do not want to interfere with the events. Logistics to transport and set-up tables that are exactley the same for each venue may limit the amount to teo or three. Also some sponserships at tournaments may clash with the Diamond product.

Old
  (#12)
huckster
AzB Silver Member

03-20-2008, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by av84fun
Sir...congratulations to you for conceiving of this novel and interesting challenge. I wish you well.

And those who did back in the day, like Willie, ran 125-50 and out did so only 10% of the time or less.

In spite of straight pool's well deserved reputation for involving less luck than 9 Ball, it certainly is not devoid of luck as the above statistic shows.

Breaking into the rack and into secondary clusters involves a meaningful degree of luck that often conspires to end runs at the 25-50 ball mark.

In addition, leaving an ideal break shot, in itself, is no walk in the park.

All told, I would guess (because I don't have actual statistics) is that the average run of the top pros of the Mosconi era (and earlier) after the first open break shot would be between 35-50 balls suggesting that it would take 10 -15 attempts to get to 526.

That all goes to show what a spectacular feat it was...and Babe Cranfield's run of 768 in practice in the presence of credible witnesses.

But I doubt that many players would part with even $100.00 to even try.

But again, I applaud your creativity and generosity.

Regards,
Jim
Jim,
You may
be surprised the amount of legitimate 14.1 practioners (John Schmidt, Micheal Schmidt, Hohmann, Feijen, Souqet, Engert, many other Europeans)
Quite a few of the above have runs well above 300 and some John, Thorsten, Ralph?, Thomas, Earl, have runs exceededing 400 balls. Imagine the interest practicing would bring if I was able to secure a 2-3 million dollar award. The hundred dollar entry was just a idea to keep lower skilled level players from keep a legit threat from breaking the record maybe a qualification system is needed but at this time I am more concerned with securing additional sponsership or an insurance policy.

Old
  (#13)
tonmo
AzB Silver Member
tonmo has a reputation beyond reputetonmo has a reputation beyond reputetonmo has a reputation beyond reputetonmo has a reputation beyond reputetonmo has a reputation beyond reputetonmo has a reputation beyond reputetonmo has a reputation beyond reputetonmo has a reputation beyond reputetonmo has a reputation beyond reputetonmo has a reputation beyond reputetonmo has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

03-20-2008, 03:29 AM

In Souquet v. Reyes, Soquet looked like he could have gone on forever. This challenge would remove the "and out" aspect of it! I agree with the angel here, this can be done!

PoolVids.com - it might come back some day!

Old
  (#14)
huckster
AzB Silver Member

03-20-2008, 03:34 AM

Quote:
I also believe the insurance company would want it all taped also.
Whatever my representation can work out with them then I will make sure that it happens. I need to talk to Pat Fleming, Greg Sullivan, about getting them onboard as far as using there products. I really am not looking at this as a buisness venture I have nothing to gain but hopefully we could see an intrest in pool occur, and the level of play would increase. Also a lot of players that do not come to the USA would take some shots at the prize. A million is just a number I tossed out there I want it to be a mill at least if not 2-3. If I can get this to happen for example I can get someone like Lloyd's involved, I will be more then happy to pay at least a few years premium's to make this happen. I have an idea what the premium may be (ballpark) and these speciality policies are quite costly but I don't care. I can't take my money with me when I die and after making so much the excess does not have a purpose for me I want to enjoy things in life, and this would be interesting, and good for the game.

What do You think?
Old
  (#15)
Krisz
addicted to pool
Krisz is a glorious beacon of lightKrisz is a glorious beacon of lightKrisz is a glorious beacon of lightKrisz is a glorious beacon of lightKrisz is a glorious beacon of light

What do You think? - 03-20-2008, 03:46 AM

Somehow I get the feeling, that this might make one of my dreams come true...
Earning a million with pool - just kidding, i won't get there this century.
But it could bring Efren to straight pool!
My favourite game and my favourite player, united at last

Just don't hesitate too long, cuz else he might get too old.
Best of luck!
Krisz

Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: