Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page is good vision overrated?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
is good vision overrated?
Old
  (#1)
fan-tum
AzB Silver Member
fan-tum has a reputation beyond reputefan-tum has a reputation beyond reputefan-tum has a reputation beyond reputefan-tum has a reputation beyond reputefan-tum has a reputation beyond reputefan-tum has a reputation beyond reputefan-tum has a reputation beyond reputefan-tum has a reputation beyond reputefan-tum has a reputation beyond reputefan-tum has a reputation beyond reputefan-tum has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

is good vision overrated? - 03-20-2008, 08:04 AM

Inspired by Berlowmj's thread about glasses, I'd like to ask glasses wearers if they play better with specs than without. For one, I play exactly the same. Of course my vision(nearsighted) needs only slight correction. And this post is mainly directed to those who need specs for watching t.v, driving, etc.

Old
  (#2)
Randy9Ball
AzB Silver Member
Randy9Ball has a reputation beyond reputeRandy9Ball has a reputation beyond reputeRandy9Ball has a reputation beyond reputeRandy9Ball has a reputation beyond reputeRandy9Ball has a reputation beyond reputeRandy9Ball has a reputation beyond reputeRandy9Ball has a reputation beyond reputeRandy9Ball has a reputation beyond reputeRandy9Ball has a reputation beyond reputeRandy9Ball has a reputation beyond reputeRandy9Ball has a reputation beyond repute

03-20-2008, 08:12 AM

Having to adjust to wearing glasses while shooting pool has been torture on my game to say the least. I ended up getting some glasses designed specifically for playing pool (both Dycots and a pair by Gordon Harrison in Canada). I like the glasses by Gordon the best as they are more comfortable. However, I still hate playing with glasses.

Like most people, I think having good vision at the table is a prerequisite to good shooting. Especially on the big tables with long shots and extreme cut shots. However, I have read that the late great Steve Mizerak had poor eyesight and he played without glasses. Go figure. There have been discussions about this topic in other threads on this forum. You may want to do a search.

Old
  (#3)
whitewolf
AzB Silver Member
whitewolf has a reputation beyond reputewhitewolf has a reputation beyond reputewhitewolf has a reputation beyond reputewhitewolf has a reputation beyond reputewhitewolf has a reputation beyond reputewhitewolf has a reputation beyond reputewhitewolf has a reputation beyond reputewhitewolf has a reputation beyond reputewhitewolf has a reputation beyond reputewhitewolf has a reputation beyond reputewhitewolf has a reputation beyond repute

03-20-2008, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan-tum
Inspired by Berlowmj's thread about glasses, I'd like to ask glasses wearers if they play better with specs than without. For one, I play exactly the same. Of course my vision(nearsighted) needs only slight correction. And this post is mainly directed to those who need specs for watching t.v, driving, etc.
No, it is not overrated, at least for people with terrible vision.

I could only see the big letter on the chart and my glasses made the balls like TINY, and I shot like sh!t wearing them.

Contacts and then laser vision surgery gave me progressively better corrections.

A man has got to know his limitations.

Old
  (#4)
StevenPWaldon
AzB Silver Member
StevenPWaldon has a reputation beyond reputeStevenPWaldon has a reputation beyond reputeStevenPWaldon has a reputation beyond reputeStevenPWaldon has a reputation beyond reputeStevenPWaldon has a reputation beyond reputeStevenPWaldon has a reputation beyond reputeStevenPWaldon has a reputation beyond reputeStevenPWaldon has a reputation beyond reputeStevenPWaldon has a reputation beyond reputeStevenPWaldon has a reputation beyond reputeStevenPWaldon has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2937

03-20-2008, 09:19 AM

Depends on the person, I think. There's a guy a play with regularly, Frank. When we start a set, he always tosses the coin, I call it in the air, and it lands... then he asks, "What is it?" Without glasses on, the man can't see to save his life. All the balls look fuzzy to him, but they manage to find a pocket regardless.

Me on the other hand, I don't play as well when I my vision is uncorrected (glasses/contacts). But surprisingly, I don't play too terribly when I don't have them in. I'm very near-sighted and can only focus 8-10 inches away from my eyes. Everything after that is a blur. When I first tried shooting without contacts/glasses, I was surprised that I was able to pocket balls decently without being able to see. So much of my game is based around angles and "feel" anyway, so I never have used a contact point to focus on when lining up or stroking.

Old
  (#5)
catscradle
<< 2 all-time greats
catscradle has a reputation beyond reputecatscradle has a reputation beyond reputecatscradle has a reputation beyond reputecatscradle has a reputation beyond reputecatscradle has a reputation beyond reputecatscradle has a reputation beyond reputecatscradle has a reputation beyond reputecatscradle has a reputation beyond reputecatscradle has a reputation beyond reputecatscradle has a reputation beyond reputecatscradle has a reputation beyond repute

03-20-2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan-tum
Definitely not over-rated. With the right Rx I can cut shots with the best of them... without them I'd better be within a foot of the pocket and about the same distance cueball to object ball.

Bring back Jimbo from CT
Better to wear out than to rust out.

"It's never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
"The urge to struggle lies latent in everyone." - Roger Bannister, The Four Minute Mile
"To die is nothing, but it is terrible not to live." - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

Old
  (#6)
steev
Lazy User
steev has a reputation beyond reputesteev has a reputation beyond reputesteev has a reputation beyond reputesteev has a reputation beyond reputesteev has a reputation beyond reputesteev has a reputation beyond reputesteev has a reputation beyond reputesteev has a reputation beyond reputesteev has a reputation beyond reputesteev has a reputation beyond reputesteev has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to steev  
03-20-2008, 10:18 AM

Vision is pretty dang important. As one of the lucky ones (20/10), I can tell you the advantage is sizeable. I've played with a lot of people with different vision, and sometimes I feel like I'm cheating, especially on 9' tables.

<knocks on wood> I hope I never find out what it's like to wear glasses...

-s

Old
  (#7)
axejunkie
AzB Silver Member

axejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeaxejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeaxejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeaxejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeaxejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeaxejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeaxejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeaxejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeaxejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeaxejunkie has a reputation beyond reputeaxejunkie has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

03-20-2008, 10:30 AM

I'm about 20/25 with my contacts and honestly feel it doesn't affect my game. My eyes seem sensitive to light so sometimes when a ball is in the middle of the table and the light shines right on it, it can throw me off.

I do have trouble with long shots due to poor lighting, i.e. shooting the 6 ball on green cloth when it's near the rail. But to me that's a light issue not sight issue.

"I see the blind lead the blind
In the search for the mind
But I know what they'll find"

Sight
Old
  (#8)
catpool9
"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
catpool9 has a reputation beyond reputecatpool9 has a reputation beyond reputecatpool9 has a reputation beyond reputecatpool9 has a reputation beyond reputecatpool9 has a reputation beyond reputecatpool9 has a reputation beyond reputecatpool9 has a reputation beyond reputecatpool9 has a reputation beyond reputecatpool9 has a reputation beyond reputecatpool9 has a reputation beyond reputecatpool9 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2385
  Send a message via Yahoo to catpool9  
Sight - 03-20-2008, 10:57 AM

Well I'll take good vision over bad anyday, when I was in my 20's I had 20/10 vision, in my 30's 20/15, now i'm 49 and have 20/20 vision and thats considered perfect vision, although I don't need glasses, I fell as if I'm Blind now!.....( don't have that real "Crisp Clear" sight picture that I once had )

....some older pool players that wear glasses have told me that they use the reflection (of the light's) off the light's, on the object ball, to get a good reference point of aim for long shots, .....

.....I've tried this just to see what they were talking about, and it seemed to work to a certain degree.

David Harcrow

Last edited by catpool9; 03-18-2011 at 02:29 PM.

Old
  (#9)
stikapos
AzB Silver Member
stikapos has a reputation beyond reputestikapos has a reputation beyond reputestikapos has a reputation beyond reputestikapos has a reputation beyond reputestikapos has a reputation beyond reputestikapos has a reputation beyond reputestikapos has a reputation beyond reputestikapos has a reputation beyond reputestikapos has a reputation beyond reputestikapos has a reputation beyond reputestikapos has a reputation beyond repute

03-20-2008, 11:03 AM

Important, yes, but your eyes don't give you a stroke.....

tim

Old
  (#10)
cigardave
Who's got a light?
cigardave has a reputation beyond reputecigardave has a reputation beyond reputecigardave has a reputation beyond reputecigardave has a reputation beyond reputecigardave has a reputation beyond reputecigardave has a reputation beyond reputecigardave has a reputation beyond reputecigardave has a reputation beyond reputecigardave has a reputation beyond reputecigardave has a reputation beyond reputecigardave has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

03-20-2008, 11:19 AM

IMO, excellent vision is an advantage... especially on thin cuts... and even more so, those that are short to the OB, long to the hole shots... where the cut angle has to be damn near perfect to make the ball. On those, I'll typically put on my pool glasses.

Old
  (#11)
Dead Money
AzB Silver Member
Dead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1100

03-20-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
is good vision overrated?
Yes. Everyone knows that in their prime Hellen Keller and Ray Charles were stone cold killers on the pool table.

Old
  (#12)
MBTaylor
Banned
MBTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeMBTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeMBTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeMBTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeMBTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeMBTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeMBTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeMBTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeMBTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeMBTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeMBTaylor has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 6925

03-20-2008, 11:45 AM

Vision is hugely important whether you have naturally good vision, lens corrected vision or Lasik.

Personally, I can't see a damn thing without my glasses. I don't think I would make 1 out of 10 straight in shots without my glasses...lol

Lol
Old
  (#13)
Flipmode
AzB Silver Member
Flipmode is a glorious beacon of lightFlipmode is a glorious beacon of lightFlipmode is a glorious beacon of lightFlipmode is a glorious beacon of lightFlipmode is a glorious beacon of lightFlipmode is a glorious beacon of light

Lol - 03-20-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBTaylor
Vision is hugely important whether you have naturally good vision, lens corrected vision or Lasik.

Personally, I can't see a damn thing without my glasses. I don't think I would make 1 out of 10 straight in shots without my glasses...lol
So how is that different from when you do have your glasses on?

Old
  (#14)
pwd72s
recreational banger
pwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond repute

03-20-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigardave
IMO, excellent vision is an advantage... especially on thin cuts... and even more so, those that are short to the OB, long to the hole shots... where the cut angle has to be damn near perfect to make the ball. On those, I'll typically put on my pool glasses.

I can't argue with that...I'm 20-400 in both eyes without glasses. Glasses correct, but things look farther away to me than people with good vision...instead of 9'...a table looks more like 12' to me...

Still, I play...as a casual banger, simply because it's fun to do so...no pretentions of becoming a top level player.

Oh...I have a pair of Decot Hi-Wydes...at least now I can look through lenses when I get down to shoot.

Old
  (#15)
catpool9
"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
catpool9 has a reputation beyond reputecatpool9 has a reputation beyond reputecatpool9 has a reputation beyond reputecatpool9 has a reputation beyond reputecatpool9 has a reputation beyond reputecatpool9 has a reputation beyond reputecatpool9 has a reputation beyond reputecatpool9 has a reputation beyond reputecatpool9 has a reputation beyond reputecatpool9 has a reputation beyond reputecatpool9 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2385
  Send a message via Yahoo to catpool9  
03-20-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Money
Yes. Everyone knows that in their prime Hellen Keller and Ray Charles were stone cold killers on the pool table.
HeHe, that was Funny!, I liked that one!

David Harcrow

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: