Who here has a cue in the works or is waiting for one to be completed?

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member
Things to consider in your reply:

- Who is making it for you?

- How long have you been waiting?

- How long is the usual wait?

- Has the overall experience been positive? (including communication)

I'll go 1st...

I just got off the phone with Ernie Gutierrez (he called me) and he told me my cue will be done in a month. I ordered my cue on 10/24/07 and was told the wait time would be 8-10 months. I'll be getting it in 7. This is my 3rd cue from Ernie and he has always been on time or earlier with my orders. He answers the phone with a pleasant voice every time I call and e-mails me back the same day. My experience with Ginacue has been nothing less than perfect in every way.

Now lets hear what you guys have coming...

Thanks for the replys, Brandon.

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
my experience

I have been waiting on a certain cue maker to make my cue for several years. He has all of my money up front and the materials on hand, but he keeps putting everybody else's work in front of mine. He has time to take two week vacations, but no time to build my cue. He even puts wasting time talking on AZB in front of making my cue. He communicates well with me, he just doesn't build my cue! I get annoyed with him every time I have to drag out my chopped up el'cheapo cue to play with. What a low-life skunk!

Hu

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member
ShootingArts said:
I have been waiting on a certain cue maker to make my cue for several years. He has all of my money up front and the materials on hand, but he keeps putting everybody else's work in front of mine. He has time to take two week vacations, but no time to build my cue. He even puts wasting time talking on AZB in front of making my cue. He communicates well with me, he just doesn't build my cue! I get annoyed with him every time I have to drag out my chopped up el'cheapo cue to play with. What a low-life skunk!

Hu

Several years? How long was the wait time quoted to you? If I were you I would ask for a refund or make a personal visit to his house and offer some "assistance" in completing your cue.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
have three cues on order.

A sneaky conversion from Joey Bautista. Been on order for about 5 months I think, though it could be more or less. Really don't remember. No money paid. Haven't asked about it in a while, though Joey does mention it from time to time. Think he said something like a year when I asked about it to begin with.

Have a cue near completion from Eric Crisp, last word was two weeks or less. He answers my questions when I ask him about it. Not in any particular hurry to get it, so not worried about the time. Just like to know where he is at so I can budget my money for the cue. He isn't fast, he will tell you that. More interested in his family than making cues. If he took money up front before taking a order I would want him to be faster. Thats not how he works though. To me his cues are worth the wait, and since I have no out of pocket money involved I'm willing to wait as long as it takes. Besides that he likes to fish, and hoping to get him in my boat in a couple of months. In other words I like Eric, think he builds a great cue at a good price.

The other is a sneaky from Mason, that should ship to me soon. Need to send him a shaft off my j/j and I'm supplying the tip for my sneaky. So as soon as I get those shipped out to him I should get the sneaky shortly there after. Believe he is ahead of schedule on this cue, and if it plays like the last one I'll be very happy.

All three have been very easy to deal with. Not my first cue from them. Second cue from all three.

No deposits on any of the three cues. I rarely buy a cue if I have to put a deposit down. The exception would be from Bob Dzuricky, and he has always been ahead of his suggested time frame for completion on anything he's done for me. So I don't mind with him. Never have heard of him being slow either. Mostly I don't like deposits. When I pay them I have higher expectations of completion times, and get more frustrated. Just easier without them. Last cue I had made where frustration was high was one that was paid in full, and then 2 months behind on delivery date. That two months behind was after I was told it was done and paid for it. That cuemaker won't get another order, though I believe he has recently stop making cues anyway.

Last edited:

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
ShootingArts said:

Hu

so when do you think your going to get around to making that cue for yourself?

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
wouldn't help

branpureza said:
Several years? How long was the wait time quoted to you? If I were you I would ask for a refund or make a personal visit to his house and offer some "assistance" in completing your cue.

I visit his house every night. He is like a plumber with time to work on everyone else's plumbing but his own. Even my personal jump cue butt is sitting in my wood rack unfinished. I turned it most of the way down six months ago and haven't touched it since. The cue maker in question is me!

Hu

cueandcushion

Cue & Cushion_STL_MO
Silver Member
I have had Jacoby cue make quite a few custom cues for me and my customers. Wait time is usually around 12 weeks or so. Depending on the complexity of the cue. I just had our rental cues finished. They were fairly simple but they had to custom laser engrave our names on the shafts, I wanted the weights and stain colors coordinated etc. Took a little longer but I tell them what my priorities are. If I am a rush I will make it known. This was for "stock" and I understand if they have high dollar cues to make first. They are pretty good at staying on schedule and very good with communication. They have made about 25 custom cues for us over the past few years I guess? Pretty good track record with them.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
soon . . . (grin)

cubswin said:
so when do you think your going to get around to making that cue for yourself?

Soon . . . of course soon is beyond tomorrow and tomorrow never comes. My ivory I set aside for me has been sitting there over a year now. Building my own cue is right behind putting the finishing touches on my shop that I built right after Katrina. Always something else more pressing. One day though . . .

Hu

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
the real problem

branpureza said:
haha you got me. sounds like somebody needs to get their priorities straight... ;)

The real problem is that I want to build myself a bit of a showpiece cue so folks will ask about it when I use it in a hall. It is a larger project than I want to get started on until I can stay with it through some major steps so it keeps getting put on the back burner.

Hu

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
ShootingArts said:
The real problem is that I want to build myself a bit of a showpiece cue so folks will ask about it when I use it in a hall. It is a larger project than I want to get started on until I can stay with it through some major steps so it keeps getting put on the back burner.

Hu
Err, cuemakers can't afford themselves a "showcase" cue.
Hell, I use my reject shaft.
But, I did build me a brazilian rosewood front with pommele bubinga handle and no bumper. Pffft, who needs a bumper?
I will glad to show the cue to anyone if I make it to Hard Times first Sunday next month. It's my beater cue. Dinged well, shaft ring does not match and all. But, hit it with it and lemme know

A sneaky conversion from Joey Bautista. Been on order for about 5 months I think, though it could be more or less. Really don't remember.
WOAH! You have a short memory. I asked you to measure your "armspand", your heads shadow's distance 33 degrees to your right side and your grip pressure by the milligrams per inch so we can customize this to your liking.
Your shaft is ferruled and collared just needs one more fine pass but am waiting if you want a custom copy of Meucci or Predator taper.
Spun the butt today and am really happy it has not moved an eyelash since February when we talked.

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
I'm having Steve Klapp make me a break cue to match my Sailor playing cue. I ordered it 2 weeks ago and he told me about 90 days to git'r done. But it'll probably be sooner.

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
branpureza said:
Things to consider in your reply:

- Who is making it for you?

- How long have you been waiting?

- How long is the usual wait?

- Has the overall experience been positive? (including communication)

I'll go 1st...

I just got off the phone with Ernie Gutierrez (he called me) and he told me my cue will be done in a month. I ordered my cue on 10/24/07 and was told the wait time would be 8-10 months. I'll be getting it in 7. This is my 3rd cue from Ernie and he has always been on time or earlier with my orders. He answers the phone with a pleasant voice every time I call and e-mails me back the same day. My experience with Ginacue has been nothing less than perfect in every way.

Now lets hear what you guys have coming...

Thanks for the replys, Brandon.

Brandon

I'm waiting on a new Gina also. Ernie is the best, he works by himself in that shop all day 5 or 6 days a week and turns out a perfect product that looks and feels like what was discussed, right on time he never overpromises.

I think my new stick and yours might be in the same batch. Ernie claims that the majority of 2008 (after his current batch) will be dedicated to making 3 cues. I can't wait to see those 3 sticks. I need a new Gina because the guy I sold an old 60s Gina saw my new Gina 11D and had to have that (he traded the old Gina back to me - owned it for about 10 minutes). If you like Ginas, you like Ginas.

I like Ginacues, can't wait to see my new one.

Kevin

Last edited:

BlowFish

Pinoy D-Player
Silver Member
I order a cue with no date set. With or without a down-payment. I wait and wait some more, actually much much more. If I get an update, I say "Thanx for the update."

"Patience is a virtue, it won't hurt you." :D

Darn, I need to update my signature, Masonh has delivered the cue. ;)

hoosier_cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have three on order....

First is a J/B from Doug Patrick. Will have it next week or so. He will be delivering the cue on time. He answers emails very quickly. I THINK there was a $100 deposit. Doug is awsome to talk to. Can't ask for a better guy.

Second is a Steve Klein. I emailed him late last year to get on the list. He emailed back the same day and said he could start it in March. He emailed me in early April saying he was ready to finalize my build. He answered all questions very quickly. He didn't ask for a deposit. I think he said about 6 months for completion.

Third is a cue from Mason. Just got on his list a week ago. I think he said he had three batches in front of me. He also answers question very quickly. Didn't ask for a deposit.

Personally I have only had a problem with one cue maker. He took full payment up front. Then he was 1 year late. Then when I got the cue there was problems. After that I said never again would I pay 100% deposits. BTW this cue maker doesn't post here.

BPG24

Banned
I have one on order from MasonH...

He has been a pleasure to deal with so far. communication has been great, fast, and always answered my questions thoroughly. (trust me i have had many questions) :p

I have been waiting for a little over a month, expected finish time is about 6 months. I am in no hurry and will not rush him in anyway. I want it done right so whatever he told me for the wait was ok with me.

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
I don't have anything on order at the moment but if I can talk up a few cue makers I'm glad to do it.

Paul Mottey: Takes the order, gives a date and sticks to it. He was only late once but that was because his wife's mother passed away right around the time my cue was to be ready. I let him slide on that one. :D If you give him a design he doesn't change things around to fit it to what he thinks would be better. There are a few out there that do that, buyer beware. I've always given him leeway though because I totally respect his eye for design on a cue. I give him the basic outline of what I'm looking for and tell him to do whatever he thinks is best with it. He returns mails in a timely manner and, well, he makes the best cues on the market. Personal opinion.

James White: Well, considering he's in Paul's shop Paul probably expects the same amount of dedication. Jim was really nice to deal with. Shipping was right on time and the cue was perfect. Mails replied to in a timely manner with full explanations and not just one or two word answers to get you off his back. Would/will definitely deal with him again.

Gina: I can't say anything more than the original poster said. I've orderd 3 or 4 cues from Ernie in the past and he's spot on with everything he says and does. I think I got my cues a little earlier than quoted too. It's been a few years so I don't really remember but if there was anything bad I wouldn't have forgotten. I just got 2 shafts from him in February actually. Got them right when he said I would. My only complaint with Gina, and I'm not even sure if it's a complaint or not, but the guy that answered his phone the first time told me he'd talk to Ernie about the cue I wanted to order but if Ernie didn't like the colors I chose for the veneers then he wouldn't build it. I don't know, I'm a fairly standard person so I wasn't worried about that happening, it just made me a little uncomfortable. I would not hesitate one millisecond to order from Ernie again though. He was/is fantastic and definitely a master at what he does. I would suggest people that want hot pink veneers moving on somewhere else though. :D

MULLY

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member
mullyman said:
Gina: I can't say anything more than the original poster said. I've orderd 3 or 4 cues from Ernie in the past and he's spot on with everything he says and does. I think I got my cues a little earlier than quoted too. It's been a few years so I don't really remember but if there was anything bad I wouldn't have forgotten. I just got 2 shafts from him in February actually. Got them right when he said I would. My only complaint with Gina, and I'm not even sure if it's a complaint or not, but the guy that answered his phone the first time told me he'd talk to Ernie about the cue I wanted to order but if Ernie didn't like the colors I chose for the veneers then he wouldn't build it. I don't know, I'm a fairly standard person so I wasn't worried about that happening, it just made me a little uncomfortable. I would not hesitate one millisecond to order from Ernie again though. He was/is fantastic and definitely a master at what he does. I would suggest people that want hot pink veneers moving on somewhere else though. :D

MULLY

The guy you talked to was probably Sorin.. he doesn't work there anymore, it's just Ernie... I've asked Ernie about his opinion on a few things and he has said to me, and I quote: "I don't like them but if thats what you want that's what you get." so if you want those hot pink veneers I'm pretty sure he'd make you one that was pinktastic.

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member
kvinbrwr said:
Brandon

I'm waiting on a new Gina also. Ernie is the best, he works by himself in that shop all day 5 or 6 days a week and turns out a perfect product that looks and feels like what was discussed, right on time he never overpromises.

I think my new stick and yours might be in the same batch. Ernie claims that the majority of 2008 (after his current batch) will be dedicated to making 3 cues. I can't wait to see those 3 sticks. I need to new Gina because a guy I sold an old 60s Gina saw my new Gina 11D and had to have that (he traded the old Gina back to me - owned it for about 10 minutes). If you like Ginas, you like Ginas.

I like Ginacues, can't wait to see my new one.

Kevin

Nice, I'm sure we are in the same batch... Be sure to shoot me a pm when you receive yours, or sooner...

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
JoeyInCali said:
A sneaky conversion from Joey Bautista. Been on order for about 5 months I think, though it could be more or less. Really don't remember.
WOAH! You have a short memory. I asked you to measure your "armspand", your heads shadow's distance 33 degrees to your right side and your grip pressure by the milligrams per inch so we can customize this to your liking.
Your shaft is ferruled and collared just needs one more fine pass but am waiting if you want a custom copy of Meucci or Predator taper.
Spun the butt today and am really happy it has not moved an eyelash since February when we talked.

I was hoping we could copy a DPK taper instead of a meucci....

Glad the butt is staying straight :)