Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Coolest Hand With A Cue - Jay Helfert Q?
Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2
 
Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Coolest Hand With A Cue - Jay Helfert Q?
Old
  (#1)
junksecret
Certified Fish
junksecret has a reputation beyond reputejunksecret has a reputation beyond reputejunksecret has a reputation beyond reputejunksecret has a reputation beyond reputejunksecret has a reputation beyond reputejunksecret has a reputation beyond reputejunksecret has a reputation beyond reputejunksecret has a reputation beyond reputejunksecret has a reputation beyond reputejunksecret has a reputation beyond reputejunksecret has a reputation beyond repute
 
junksecret's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 667
vCash: 410
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Join Date: May 2007
Location: La Costa, California
   
Coolest Hand With A Cue - Jay Helfert Q? - 04-27-2008, 07:06 PM

I came across this GREAT little archived story from SPORTS ILLUSTRATED circa December 1974 which sports names such as our own Jay Helfert, Buddy Hall, Jim Rempe, Pete & Jimmy Fusco, Bugs Rucker, Ronnie Allen (referred to as "the younger generation"), Cornbread Red, Jimmy Marino, Wimpy, and more.....

SI Vault article "Coolest Hand With A Cue"

And now my Jay Helfert, or anyone else that may know, question.

Perhaps my fave player of all time is Jimmy Marino who I saw play sooooooooooooo lights out it was SICK over 35 years ago when I was a young teen. People played him safe and he would fan some cut from frozen on the long rail and OUT. Out, Out, Out...I didn't know at that time that people could play like that but I would guess the Bustamante's of today would stand up OK.

Anyway....I didn't even know his name then, just "Hippie Jimmy". I now see references to Jimmy Reid as "Hippie Jimmy" including if I read it correctly, THIS article where both James Reid and Jimmy Marino and YOU were.

So.....Were they both Hippy Jimmy?? I'm sooooooo confused, I even see this snippet out of a 2007 OnePocket.org article:

OnePocket.org is pleased to announce that 'Hippie Jimmy' Reid is this year's choice for Lifetime Pool in Action recognition

Can someone "set me straight"?

Hope everyone enjoys the article as much as I did...

Thanks


"Just for that, I'm gonna beat ya flat".

________________
  
Reply With Quote

Old
  (#2)
poolcuemaster
AzB Silver Member
poolcuemaster has a reputation beyond reputepoolcuemaster has a reputation beyond reputepoolcuemaster has a reputation beyond reputepoolcuemaster has a reputation beyond reputepoolcuemaster has a reputation beyond reputepoolcuemaster has a reputation beyond reputepoolcuemaster has a reputation beyond reputepoolcuemaster has a reputation beyond reputepoolcuemaster has a reputation beyond reputepoolcuemaster has a reputation beyond reputepoolcuemaster has a reputation beyond repute
 
poolcuemaster's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 3,116
vCash: 500
iTrader: 88 / 100%
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Indian Trail N.C.
   
04-27-2008, 07:27 PM

Great reading and thanks for thinking of us.--Leonard
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3)
Josh Palmer
I'll take the 6 :)
Josh Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Palmer has a reputation beyond repute
 
Josh Palmer's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 657
vCash: 300
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: California
  Send a message via Yahoo to Josh Palmer  
04-27-2008, 08:06 PM

Jimmy Marino... comment on this one Jay.. more than once someone (from different states even) has commented that I play like "Jimmy Marino" and asked if I knew him, which I did not.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#4)
junksecret
Certified Fish
junksecret has a reputation beyond reputejunksecret has a reputation beyond reputejunksecret has a reputation beyond reputejunksecret has a reputation beyond reputejunksecret has a reputation beyond reputejunksecret has a reputation beyond reputejunksecret has a reputation beyond reputejunksecret has a reputation beyond reputejunksecret has a reputation beyond reputejunksecret has a reputation beyond reputejunksecret has a reputation beyond repute
 
junksecret's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 667
vCash: 410
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Join Date: May 2007
Location: La Costa, California
   
04-27-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Palmer
Jimmy Marino... comment on this one Jay.. more than once someone (from different states even) has commented that I play like "Jimmy Marino" and asked if I knew him, which I did not.
Well then you must fly at everything...Jimmy was FEARLESS....he thought he could make any shot that was makeable and when he was in dead-punch, which was a lot, he could.


"Just for that, I'm gonna beat ya flat".

________________
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#5)
JimS
Grandpa & his grand boys.
JimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond repute
 
JimS's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 7,795
vCash: 4050
iTrader: 32 / 100%
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Jim Sward 311 E. Main, Suite 317 Galesburg, Il 61401
   
04-28-2008, 04:18 AM

Nice article. Thanks for bringing it.

Where is Jay?


"The average man seeks certainty in the eye of the onlooker and calls that self-confidence.
The warrior seeks impeccability in his own eye and calls that humbleness."
Carlos Castenada

"Make no distinction between the difficult and the less difficult shot but apply yourself completely to each opportunity to strike a pool ball". Mark Wilson

"No nonchalantin at the pool table!" Sailor

Live like somebody left the gate open!
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#6)
JAM
On the Hill
JAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond repute
 
JAM's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 33,950
vCash: 325
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Join Date: Oct 2004
   
04-28-2008, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimS
Nice article. Thanks for bringing it.

Where is Jay?
He was the TD at the Arizona Desert tournament. He is probably recuperating right now, catching up on sleep. I think the finals went until midnight last night, Arizona time.

Jimmy Marino used to have a pool room in Pittsburgh, right on the corner. I remember going there when I was on the road a few times. They had unique bus station seats for railbird sweaters, as I recall, and they were quite comfortable. This was an action spot on every pool player's map.

JAM


.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#7)
billyjack
Registered Loser
billyjack has a reputation beyond reputebillyjack has a reputation beyond reputebillyjack has a reputation beyond reputebillyjack has a reputation beyond reputebillyjack has a reputation beyond reputebillyjack has a reputation beyond reputebillyjack has a reputation beyond reputebillyjack has a reputation beyond reputebillyjack has a reputation beyond reputebillyjack has a reputation beyond reputebillyjack has a reputation beyond repute
 
billyjack's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 332
vCash: 500
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Western PA
   
04-28-2008, 05:08 AM

Jimmy's hall, "South Hills Golden Cue" is my home room. Still alive and well. 17 Brunswicks and a Billiard table. Jimmy has been out of action for a while, having recently had cataract surgery. He's not one to drown you with road stories. Usually you have to pry any comment from him. Sometimes you can get him talking about the weekend exhibitions he would host back in the late 70's & early 80's. He would bring in players like Miz, Hopkins and Sigel for a weekend show of straight pool, one pocket and 9 ball. He's got a tournament area with one table and about 80theater-style seats. Nice friendly people, both staff and regulars.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#8)
DeadPoked
Inadequate User
DeadPoked has a reputation beyond reputeDeadPoked has a reputation beyond reputeDeadPoked has a reputation beyond reputeDeadPoked has a reputation beyond reputeDeadPoked has a reputation beyond reputeDeadPoked has a reputation beyond reputeDeadPoked has a reputation beyond reputeDeadPoked has a reputation beyond reputeDeadPoked has a reputation beyond reputeDeadPoked has a reputation beyond reputeDeadPoked has a reputation beyond repute
 
DeadPoked's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 2,424
vCash: 8200
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Houston, TX
  Send a message via AIM to DeadPoked  
04-28-2008, 05:47 AM

Just as I assumed, Jay Helfert was not referred to as part of the "Younger Generation". Just kidding, Jay.

Great article.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#9)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 15,871
vCash: 4100
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Now living in Largo FL
   
04-28-2008, 06:22 AM

junksecret...If memory serves me right, Jimmy Marino went by the nickname "Black Bart". I watched him, Richie Florence, Ronnie Allen, Pretty Boy Floyd, and some others, play a $500/man ring game, at Cardone's 9-ball tournament in Burlington, IA...circa Oct. '75. Florence had just received a brand new Balabushka at the tournament, and it was stolen from him within hours (George died two months later). Florence went bust...drove his Caddy down to the car lot and sold it...and came back and busted everybody in the game, for about $20k!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by junksecret
I came across this GREAT little archived story from SPORTS ILLUSTRATED circa December 1974 which sports names such as our own Jay Helfert, Buddy Hall, Jim Rempe, Pete & Jimmy Fusco, Bugs Rucker, Ronnie Allen (referred to as "the younger generation"), Cornbread Red, Jimmy Marino, Wimpy, and more.....

SI Vault article "Coolest Hand With A Cue"

And now my Jay Helfert, or anyone else that may know, question.

Perhaps my fave player of all time is Jimmy Marino who I saw play sooooooooooooo lights out it was SICK over 35 years ago when I was a young teen. People played him safe and he would fan some cut from frozen on the long rail and OUT. Out, Out, Out...I didn't know at that time that people could play like that but I would guess the Bustamante's of today would stand up OK.

Anyway....I didn't even know his name then, just "Hippie Jimmy". I now see references to Jimmy Reid as "Hippie Jimmy" including if I read it correctly, THIS article where both James Reid and Jimmy Marino and YOU were.

So.....Were they both Hippy Jimmy?? I'm sooooooo confused, I even see this snippet out of a 2007 OnePocket.org article:

OnePocket.org is pleased to announce that 'Hippie Jimmy' Reid is this year's choice for Lifetime Pool in Action recognition

Can someone "set me straight"?

Hope everyone enjoys the article as much as I did...

Thanks
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#10)
gulfportdoc
AzB Silver Member
gulfportdoc has a reputation beyond reputegulfportdoc has a reputation beyond reputegulfportdoc has a reputation beyond reputegulfportdoc has a reputation beyond reputegulfportdoc has a reputation beyond reputegulfportdoc has a reputation beyond reputegulfportdoc has a reputation beyond reputegulfportdoc has a reputation beyond reputegulfportdoc has a reputation beyond reputegulfportdoc has a reputation beyond reputegulfportdoc has a reputation beyond repute
 
gulfportdoc's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 1,182
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Gulfport, Mississippi
   
04-28-2008, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junksecret
I came across this GREAT little archived story from SPORTS ILLUSTRATED circa December 1974 which sports names such as our own Jay Helfert, Buddy Hall, Jim Rempe, Pete & Jimmy Fusco, Bugs Rucker, Ronnie Allen (referred to as "the younger generation"), Cornbread Red, Jimmy Marino, Wimpy, and more.....
A VERY good article. And it was written by none other than Walter Tevis. I'm sure that a few of you have heard of him...

Doc
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#11)
jrhendy
AzB Silver Member
jrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond repute
 
jrhendy's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 1,204
vCash: 1400
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Northern California
   
04-28-2008, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Lee
junksecret...If memory serves me right, Jimmy Marino went by the nickname "Black Bart". I watched him, Richie Florence, Ronnie Allen, Pretty Boy Floyd, and some others, play a $500/man ring game, at Cardone's 9-ball tournament in Burlington, IA...circa Oct. '75. Florence had just received a brand new Balabushka at the tournament, and it was stolen from him within hours (George died two months later). Florence went bust...drove his Caddy down to the car lot and sold it...and came back and busted everybody in the game, for about $20k!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com
Bob Ogburn (sp) was known as Black Bart, don't remember Marino being called that, but my memory wavers a little too. John
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#12)
junksecret
Certified Fish
junksecret has a reputation beyond reputejunksecret has a reputation beyond reputejunksecret has a reputation beyond reputejunksecret has a reputation beyond reputejunksecret has a reputation beyond reputejunksecret has a reputation beyond reputejunksecret has a reputation beyond reputejunksecret has a reputation beyond reputejunksecret has a reputation beyond reputejunksecret has a reputation beyond reputejunksecret has a reputation beyond repute
 
junksecret's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 667
vCash: 410
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Join Date: May 2007
Location: La Costa, California
   
04-28-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfportdoc
A VERY good article. And it was written by none other than Walter Tevis. I'm sure that a few of you have heard of him...

Doc
It's funny, I didn't put it together until Kvnbrwr brought it to my attention...he wrote The Hustler, The Color of Money AND The Man Who Fell to Earth as well as Queens Gambit...4 FANTASTIC books, so I'm not surprised the article rocked.

Also, I don't know about "Black Bart" but in the early 70's it was Hippie Jimmy and a very fitting moniker at that..

Joe


"Just for that, I'm gonna beat ya flat".

________________
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#13)
Madcity
Registered User
Madcity has a reputation beyond reputeMadcity has a reputation beyond reputeMadcity has a reputation beyond reputeMadcity has a reputation beyond reputeMadcity has a reputation beyond reputeMadcity has a reputation beyond reputeMadcity has a reputation beyond reputeMadcity has a reputation beyond reputeMadcity has a reputation beyond reputeMadcity has a reputation beyond reputeMadcity has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 188
vCash: 6000
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Join Date: Dec 2006
   
04-28-2008, 12:57 PM

Scott I do not know if that tournament in Burlington was ran more than once or not, but I did attend one around that time frame. I believe Jim Rempe won over Mike Carella, or maybe the other way around? Memory getting a little fuzzy about some details.

Watched alot of the big ring game and Bob "Black Bart" Ogburn was one of the last players standing, although he sold his car before it was done. Marino, Liscotti, Jim Mataya, Jeff Carter and many other great players were not left standing when it finished. Denny Searcy busted everyone winning better than 20 grand.

As a side note Bob "BlackBart" Ogburn offered anyone that opened the windows a $100, when Edgar Mathias pulled back the curtains Bob was waving the $100 in the air and said "You silly B*****d Don't you think I already Know the windows won't open"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Lee
junksecret...If memory serves me right, Jimmy Marino went by the nickname "Black Bart". I watched him, Richie Florence, Ronnie Allen, Pretty Boy Floyd, and some others, play a $500/man ring game, at Cardone's 9-ball tournament in Burlington, IA...circa Oct. '75. Florence had just received a brand new Balabushka at the tournament, and it was stolen from him within hours (George died two months later). Florence went bust...drove his Caddy down to the car lot and sold it...and came back and busted everybody in the game, for about $20k!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#14)
JimS
Grandpa & his grand boys.
JimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond repute
 
JimS's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 7,795
vCash: 4050
iTrader: 32 / 100%
Blog Entries: 2
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Jim Sward 311 E. Main, Suite 317 Galesburg, Il 61401
   
04-28-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM
He was the TD at the Arizona Desert tournament. He is probably recuperating right now, catching up on sleep. I think the finals went until midnight last night, Arizona time.

Jimmy Marino used to have a pool room in Pittsburgh, right on the corner. I remember going there when I was on the road a few times. They had unique bus station seats for railbird sweaters, as I recall, and they were quite comfortable. This was an action spot on every pool player's map.

JAM
Thanks JAM. I was gettin kind of worried about the ole boy. (not meantto imply old chronologically. Ole boy being just a colloquialism.)


"The average man seeks certainty in the eye of the onlooker and calls that self-confidence.
The warrior seeks impeccability in his own eye and calls that humbleness."
Carlos Castenada

"Make no distinction between the difficult and the less difficult shot but apply yourself completely to each opportunity to strike a pool ball". Mark Wilson

"No nonchalantin at the pool table!" Sailor

Live like somebody left the gate open!
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#15)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 15,871
vCash: 4100
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Now living in Largo FL
   
04-28-2008, 07:50 PM

Madcity...Nope, that tournament only happened one time, because nobody got paid! I guess I was mistaken about Marino. I don't think Bob Ogburn looked anything like Jimmy Marino, but I must have it backwards. That's also the first time I saw Buddy play. He was this skinny guy they called "Rags"...but oh could he play! I do know Florence won big, because I got my money back! Richie wasn't prone to duking his backers if he only won a little! Searcy almost always won, no matter where he was! That was the same tournament where a 17 yr. old Keith McCready was killing everybody in the green room at the hotel...and I got lucky (with a big spot), and drilled him for a quick $1800, before he quit. He had gigantic BR ($15K+), so he didn't care at all! I remember that money flowed everywhere during that tournament!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcity
Scott I do not know if that tournament in Burlington was ran more than once or not, but I did attend one around that time frame. I believe Jim Rempe won over Mike Carella, or maybe the other way around? Memory getting a little fuzzy about some details.

Watched alot of the big ring game and Bob "Black Bart" Ogburn was one of the last players standing, although he sold his car before it was done. Marino, Liscotti, Jim Mataya, Jeff Carter and many other great players were not left standing when it finished. Denny Searcy busted everyone winning better than 20 grand.

As a side note Bob "BlackBart" Ogburn offered anyone that opened the windows a $100, when Edgar Mathias pulled back the curtains Bob was waving the $100 in the air and said "You silly B*****d Don't you think I already Know the windows won't open"
  
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.