English Poll

How do you apply English

• On the final stroke while the cue is in motion, I pivot my hand to apply the needed English.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I use BHE (back hand English) before beginning my final stroke.

Votes: 12 13.2%
  • I set up with English already applied having compensated for squirt, swerve and throw.

Votes: 75 82.4%
  • I move my front bridge hand (FHE) to apply English.

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
What kind of English do you use? For this poll we assume that English will be SIDE SPIN ONLY. Draw and follow are not forms of English for this poll.

The English that we are referring to is the English that you most commonly use. If you use mulitiple types of English, choose the one you most commonly use.

Thanks,
JoeyA

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
JoeyA said:
What kind of English do you use? For this poll we assume that English will be SIDE SPIN ONLY. Draw and follow are not forms of English for this poll.

Thanks,
JoeyA

Is there supposed to be a poll or are we just posting? English for what - in general?

I like whatever english gets me there while making the shot :)

StevenPWaldon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ummmmmm..... left and right.

JoeyA said:

Thanks,
JoeyA

JoeyA

Silver Member
SpiderWebComm said:
Is there supposed to be a poll or are we just posting? English for what - in general?

I like whatever english gets me there while making the shot :)

You use BHE. Just put it in the poll. :D

I edited my original post to answer your good question. THANKS!

JoeyA

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
JoeyA said:

The English that we are referring to is the English that you most commonly use. If you use mulitiple types of English, choose the one you most commonly use.

Thanks,
JoeyA

I use the whole cueball. My mother always taught me to not waste anything.

Dave

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
JoeyA said:
You use BHE. Just put it in the poll. :D

I edited my original post to answer your good question. THANKS!

JoeyA

Kind of. I actually pivot my body (hip). That way, my eye/cue line is intact. I selected BHE because that's the closest.

JoeyA

Silver Member
Inaction said:
Draw and follow are not forms of English, except to newbies.

That's why I put it in there. There may be newbies that would like to answer the poll.

Now I'm going to quit acting like a wizenheimer and just watch the polls.

Thanks for participating!

JoeyA

StevenPWaldon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think because the options may not be mutually exclusive. One may use BHE on their final stroke, for example (which may force posters to choose between A and B). Also, one may set up the shot/alignment with BHE built into the alignment/stroke. Answers on this poll may very well be discerning between how people "think" about their english application; how conscious they are about squirt, swerve, applications of BHE, FHE.

At the end of the day, applications of english are about the same. For any given shot there is basically one trajectory of the cueball given the shot's english/speed requirements (relative to the shaft/line of aim), and the personal preference of the shooter (shaft type, bridge length). One man's BHE is another man's pivot on the final stroke.

SpiderWebComm said:
Wow, no one uses BHE. This is fascinating. I wonder why?

Last edited:

scottycoyote

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i primarily use bhe, but after watching some of joe tuckers youtube vids, ive started using a little fhe on some shots, and a little of both on others

cbi1000

It is what it is...
Silver Member
bhe

I'm not 100% sure what bhe is. Will someone explain it to me. Maybe i use it and don't know there is a name for it.

thanks,

JoeyA

Silver Member
StevenPWaldon said:
I think because the options may not be mutually exclusive. One may use BHE on their final stroke, for example (which may force posters to choose between A and B). Also, one may set up the shot/alignment with BHE built into the alignment/stroke. Answers on this poll may very well be discerning between how people "think" about their english application; how conscious they are about squirt, swerve, applications of BHE, FHE.

At the end of the day, applications of english are about the same. For any given shot there is basically one trajectory of the cueball given the shot's english/speed requirements (relative to the shaft/line of aim), and the personal preference of the shooter (shaft type, bridge length). One man's BHE is another man's pivot on the final stroke.

Today, I was talking with one of our best Southern players about a match that he was going to play tonight, giving up the 7 and the last three for one bag of sand. During the conversation, he mentioned that he applies English on the last stroke while the cue is in motion. He also likes Water Buffalo tips that have been compressed and does not like rounded tips.

Tonight I had an Elkmaster which was compressed put on my Bender shaft and only very slightly rounded. We'll see how it performs. I compressed the tip. :eek:

JoeyA

Thunderball

Auto rep for belly laughs
Silver Member
Ok...I'm just gonna say it.
WTF is the upside to BHE?

I get it (the function,pivot point ect) but I'm lost on the why.

Why let the english applied be dependent on the hand farthest from the ball?

FWIW I just be bangin em compared to the pros and most bangers too lol,but I just bumped the "ten times" thread to further my point.For me,that shot pushes the limits of my lefty/righty and follow....

Why would I ever use BHE for said shot?What is there to be gained as opposed to just picking my spot on the CB and stroking it out??

JoeyA

Silver Member
Thunderball said:
Ok...I'm just gonna say it.
WTF is the upside to BHE?

I get it (the function,pivot point ect) but I'm lost on the why.

Why let the english applied be dependent on the hand farthest from the ball?

FWIW I just be bangin em compared to the pros and most bangers too lol,but I just bumped the "ten times" thread to further my point.For me,that shot pushes the limits of my lefty/righty and follow....

Why would I ever use BHE for said shot?What is there to be gained as opposed to just picking my spot on the CB and stroking it out??

Colin Colenso has a blurry cell phone video but he goes into a lot of detail about BHE here. BHE by Colin Colenso.

Some people find it easier to make the object ball using Back Hand English.
It is sometimes introduced as a way of aiming and applying English which reduces or eliminates cue ball squirt. You are supposed to be able to aim at the object ball as if the cue ball is not going to squirt when using BHE.

Hope that helps.

The poll suggests numbers are interesting and hope others decide to make their method known.

JoeyA

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SpiderWebComm said:
Wow, no one uses BHE. This is fascinating. I wonder why?

Maybe because it's not going to work on so many shots?

I went to the Canadian 9-ball tour stop this weekend and got in a scotch doubles 9-ball game for 500 loonies a set--with the stipulation I had to shoot with my partner's break cue. The first thing I did was a quick check of the cue's pivot point. It was notably squirtier than my playing cue. With the unfamiliar cue, I incorporated aim&pivot more than I normally do.

James

Red Wire... Right Temple
Silver Member
pulp_fiction_jules.jpg

"(Backhand) English muthafu*ka! do you speak it?"