espn classic matches

canwin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm looking for someone who has taped/can tape all upcoming Jimmy Moore matches and would send a copy. The satellite network doesn't service the area I'm living so I can't get the channel. I was hoping somebody can help me out and would pay for the effort. It would be very much appreciated. Thx

Canwin

Last edited:

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Classic Matches

I watched Irving Crane vs. Luthor Lassiter this morning. Wimpy won.

It's great watching all those great players playing each other even if they were all in their 60's then.

On Cox Cable, it is channel 246, and only cost me $2 a month to add it.
Now, 9-10 am every weekday morning is 'Billiard hour' for me. (10 am on Saturdays).

I got to wondering since Jimmy Moore seems to win all those old Classic matches if he played in the tournaments when Crane won 9 World Titles, and Lassister won 4? Does anybody know?

I saw 'Squirrel' play downtown Houston about 2-3 months before he went to Vegas and beat Lassister for the World 9 ball Championship.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Snapshot9 said:
I watched Irving Crane vs. Luthor Lassiter this morning. Wimpy won.

It's great watching all those great players playing each other even if they were all in their 60's then.

On Cox Cable, it is channel 246, and only cost me $2 a month to add it.
Now, 9-10 am every weekday morning is 'Billiard hour' for me. (10 am on Saturdays).

I got to wondering since Jimmy Moore seems to win all those old Classic matches if he played in the tournaments when Crane won 9 World Titles, and Lassister won 4? Does anybody know?

I saw 'Squirrel' play downtown Houston about 2-3 months before he went to Vegas and beat Lassister for the World 9 ball Championship.

Jimmy Moore played in most, if not all those tournaments. He was a perennial bridesmaid, finishing second on several occasions.

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
Snapshot9 said:

James William "Cowboy Jimmy" Moore was born on Sept 4, 1910 in Hogansville, Georgia. (The BCA incorrectly has his birth year as 1911) He began playing at age 12 when his family moved to Detroit.
In 1928, he won his first of 10 straight Michigan State 14.1 Championships.
As Jay already said, he was a perennial 2nd place finisher in top tournaments.
He did beat Luther Lassiter in a 3,000 point "challenge match" in 1958 to win something called the National Pocket Billiards Championship, although this was not a sanctioned event. This was played at Bensinger's in Chicago.
At the National Invitational Pocket Billiards Championship in New York City in 1965, Moore won his 1st major championship over a field that included Joe Balsis, Luther Lassiter, Ed Kelly, Cicero Murphy, Lou Butera, Onofrio Lauri, Frank McGown and Eddie Taylor. This was a double round-robin invitational event, but it did have a first class field of players.
He is a five-time runner-up in World 14.1 championship play, losing to Mosconi in March 1956, to Lassiter in April 1963 and again to Lassiter in August 1963. He finished 2nd to Balsis in March 1965 and again a few weeks later, also in March 1965, to Balsis again in a return match.
On September 17, 1990 at the age of 80, he ran 111 balls at "Corner Pockets" in Alburquerque. The local newspaper did an article on him after that feat.
He died on November 17, 1999 in Alburquerque, N.M at age 89.

grandpapkusky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snapshot9 said:

I'm not 100% sure, but I thought Mosconi won it once and Lassiter won it the it the next year. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think Jimmy won the whole thing, only some matches. Again, I'm not sure.