14.1 Triangle Template

i4pool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Everyone,

I'm fairly new to the manufacturing game and I'd like to bounce an idea off you guys. I hope you don't mind.

I'm in the process of designing a template to facilitate easier & accurate marking of the triangle area for 14.1. Here's what I have so far:

14one_template.jpg

How would it be used?
Assuming you have a center-line from the spot down to the short rail, all you would do is line up the template sighting the spot and center-line through the slit openings. Even better... If you also have a line drawn from the spot center to the long rails, you can more accurately position the template. Once set, hold down the template and mark your triangle.​

This template is going to be cut on CNC so it will be very accurate. Material will be carefully chosen (probably some type of plastic) and should last for years.

Now a couple questions I have are:

• [*]What should the distance be from the edge of the balls to the mark outline?
    [*]Is there a "specification" out there regarding the triangle area? I haven't been able to find anything. Specifically, I'm trying to find out if the triangle outline needs to be a minimum distance from the edge of the outside balls?
    [*]Lastly, would there be folks interested in this if the price was right? Or is this even a viable product?

Thanks for your time and I look forward to your feedback.

custmqs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a nice idea but I'm not sure it is commercially viable.

As for the specs for the rack outline, I think the distance from the edge of the balls varies as it depends on the rack you are using...

OneArmed

the agony of billiards...
Silver Member
Very interesting idea. I've been looking for a way to mark the area on several dozen pool tables.

The issue would be that every rack is different. Maybe have one for the Delta13 folks?

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
First off you'd need to find out from the WPA what are the official measures of the triangle. As only one certain type of triangle is used to draw the rack on the cloth in official WPA/EPBF sanctioned tournaments (at least here in Europe). Also you need to ask WPA if the triangle measures are not fixed, how much variation is allowed? And yes, WPA is the only place to ask as they make the world standardized rules.

i4pool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First off you'd need to find out from the WPA what are the official measures of the triangle. As only one certain type of triangle is used to draw the rack on the cloth in official WPA/EPBF sanctioned tournaments (at least here in Europe). Also you need to ask WPA if the triangle measures are not fixed, how much variation is allowed? And yes, WPA is the only place to ask as they make the world standardized rules.

I will contact the WPA. Thanks.

Here's another thought... what if I made the template so that it could be used along with your rack of choice? So the template would be the exact dimensions of the balls only, then you place the template inside your rack... line up your rack using the template, then mark your table using the outside edge of your rack?

This ball template could also be used to check the angle accuracy of your apexes on your rack. It should be as close to 60 degrees. With the template cnc cut, this could give you a visual indication that your triangle angle(s) are off!

Thanks for the input guys!

Regards,
Abe

i4pool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Revision 2?

What about something like this? This you could place inside your "preferred" rack, position it, then outline using the outside contour of your rack. Thoughts?

14one_template_rev2.jpg

VinCro

Registered
I would loose the rounded edges. On a few of the Tourneys Ive watched on Accu Stats Videos the Triangle out-line is a perfect triangle with three direct points. What Ive done to acheive this in the past is out line whatever rack Im using with a pencil very lightly not tracing around the corners. Then I go back with a fine point Sharpe and use a ruler to make 3 sharp points of the triangle. A template would be much easier.

custmqs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What about something like this? This you could place inside your "preferred" rack, position it, then outline using the outside contour of your rack. Thoughts?

14one_template_rev2.jpg

That looks like it would work nicely...

i4pool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very interesting idea. I've been looking for a way to mark the area on several dozen pool tables.

The issue would be that every rack is different. Maybe have one for the Delta13 folks?

I could easily alter the CAD drawing to accommodate for any size triangle. I could make one for the Delta-13 and any other widely used racks. What is the wall thickness of the delta-13? Looks like 1/4". Anyone know?

Regards,
Abe

i4pool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I could easily alter the CAD drawing to accommodate for any size triangle. I could make one for the Delta-13 and any other widely used racks. What is the wall thickness of the delta-13? Looks like 1/4". Anyone know?

Regards,
Abe

... I would also need to know the distance/spacing between the back row of balls and the inside wall of the triangle.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I'd like to see a thin but solid rack that lets you fit break balls in that are very close to the triangle.

jondrums

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I highly suggest you look into having it lasercut in arylic. much cheaper than a cnc mill process.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
It depends on the rack

Hi Everyone,

I'm fairly new to the manufacturing game and I'd like to bounce an idea off you guys. I hope you don't mind.

I'm in the process of designing a template to facilitate easier & accurate marking of the triangle area for 14.1. Here's what I have so far:

14one_template.jpg

How would it be used?
Assuming you have a center-line from the spot down to the short rail, all you would do is line up the template sighting the spot and center-line through the slit openings. Even better... If you also have a line drawn from the spot center to the long rails, you can more accurately position the template. Once set, hold down the template and mark your triangle.​

This template is going to be cut on CNC so it will be very accurate. Material will be carefully chosen (probably some type of plastic) and should last for years.

Now a couple questions I have are:

• [*]What should the distance be from the edge of the balls to the mark outline?
    [*]Is there a "specification" out there regarding the triangle area? I haven't been able to find anything. Specifically, I'm trying to find out if the triangle outline needs to be a minimum distance from the edge of the outside balls?
    [*]Lastly, would there be folks interested in this if the price was right? Or is this even a viable product?

Thanks for your time and I look forward to your feedback.

Good idea but it all depends on the rack that is used. There are so many. The best 14-1 rack should be as thin as you can make it and have enough room to get your fingers behind the balls to tighten up the rack. Useing a thin rack will allow the balls to be racked very near the break ball.
I was watching a 14-1 match from Norway and they racked the balls by hand. I couldn't believe it. I was wondweing if that was a Norway thing. So, I watch a 9-ball match and they racked it also by hand.
Very strange. Nothing better then the old American wood rack.

Last edited:

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
I would say that you probably won't make much off of this. Although the WPA probably has the world standardized rules, we all know that not every Tom, Dick, and Harry has the world standardized rack on their table at home, hell, mot pool rooms probably don't either. I actually know a few pool rooms that have different racks on their tables. With the shape and thickness of the rack not being standard, in the real world, I think it would be really tough to make something like this move forward.

Now, lately I've been seeing these thin plastic things they're using to rack balls nowadays where you set the balls on top of it and leave it there until after the break, it's like a slip of paper in the shape of a 9-ball rack etc... Something like you're thinking about may work if you sell it along with your 14.1 rack as a set.

Then again, how many times does the average Joe have to mark their table? Once a year? Once every 6 months? Only when they change the cloth? Personally, I wouldn't spend money on something like this seeing as how I wouldn't get much use out of it. I would see something like this more geared towards people that do table set ups and maybe pool rooms, but again, with the pool rooms you're looking at the rack size problem.
MULLY

Last edited: