1Pocket: Situation 3/3/08

desert1pocket

Registered Fish
Silver Member
Hit the 3 with draw/stun to get the cueball down behind to 10 ball. It is acceptable to make the 3 cross side, but make sure you don't hit hard enough to give them a long bank on it.

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
AZE said:
Show me what ya' got bay-bay!

The aggressive shot (I would shoot) is the 1/15 combo & force follow the cue ball between the 3 & the pocket. Shooting firmly, the 15 goes into the cluster of 8/10/13 & moves / makes a ball on your side.

The conservative & easiest shot is to play safe off the 3 & bring the cue ball down behind the cluster of the 8/10/13.

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
bank the 3 into the stack, taking the cueball three rails behind the balls near your opponents pocket.

ABall

Right behind you...
Silver Member
Bank the 3 into the stack and go 4 rails around behind the 13, 8, and 10. I would focus on making sure the cueball gets behind those balls near your opponents pocket, and he is locked up.

AZE

DeucesCracked Instructor
Silver Member
uwate said:
bank the 3 into the stack, taking the cueball three rails behind the balls near your opponents pocket.

Correcto!...At least it's the shot I like the most.
Now can you please teach me how to execute it? Every time I try I thin the 3 too much (barely moving it) and scratching in the corner. I need to stop sucking at this game.

fan-tum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
AZE said:
Show me what ya' got bay-bay!

CueTable Help

I'm sure Efren would draw off the 3 down behind the 8,10,13 cluster, and i'd probably mess up banking the 3 into the pack going 3 rails with whitey, so I'd be comfortable banking the 15, parking whitey near the rail.

desert1pocket

Registered Fish
Silver Member
AZE said:
Now can you please teach me how to execute it? Every time I try I thin the 3 too much (barely moving it) and scratching in the corner. I need to stop sucking at this game.

I think this is a perfect example of why it is important to play the shot that best suites your abilities.

I like the shot too, but because I know my own abilities, I'm not shooting it for money. I'm 15% to do what you describe, 15% to just miss the 1 ball with the 3 and end up pushing balls his way, 10% to screw it up in an unforseen way, which leaves a 60% chance I'll pull it off correctly. I am constantly improving though, and one day that might be the right shot for me, just not today.

Last edited:

trendkill

Takin' notes?!
Silver Member
AZE said:

Don't thin the 3, hit it fuller with some right english, possibly low right, 4 o'clock (more right than low), if you need a bit more angle...you'll fall right into the 10 for a devastating shot.

Last edited:

AZE

DeucesCracked Instructor
Silver Member
trendkill said:
Don't thin the 3, hit it fuller with some right english, possibly low right, 4 o'clock (more right than low), if you need a bit more angle...you'll fall right into the 10 for a devastating shot.

TY! :D :D :D

trendkill

Takin' notes?!
Silver Member
No problem...experiment with the spin as your stroke is different from mine...but a fuller hit and some spin will get you where you wanna go. Remember, let the spin take the cb around the table.

Southpaw

Swing away, Meril....
Silver Member
I dont think you can get a full enough hit on the 3 to bank it into the stack and get alot of movement from the balls around the spot and lengthen out the cue ball to get it behind the 10. I would probably kick 3 rails and try and snooker the cue ball behind the 10. The 8-10 is a dead combo so any crazy offensive shot could cost you the game. JMO.

Southpaw

trendkill

Takin' notes?!
Silver Member
Southpaw said:
I dont think you can get a full enough hit on the 3 to bank it into the stack and get alot of movement from the balls around the spot and lengthen out the cue ball to get it behind the 10. I would probably kick 3 rails and try and snooker the cue ball behind the 10. The 8-10 is a dead combo so any crazy offensive shot could cost you the game. JMO.

Southpaw

The 3 ball is off the rail and a little over a diamond away from the side, that's plenty of room to bank into the stack and come around table. You may not get a lot of movement out of the other balls, but our main concern in this shot is the cue ball.

Southpaw

Swing away, Meril....
Silver Member
trendkill said:
The 3 ball is off the rail and a little over a diamond away from the side, that's plenty of room to bank into the stack and come around table. You may not get a lot of movement out of the other balls, but our main concern in this shot is the cue ball.

Im just going by the diagram, but it looks like a backwards cut on the 3 to bank it and hitting it too full will not get the cue ball around 3 rails behind the 10. If you come up short, you can sell out a shot on the 13 off the 10 and lose the game.....

Southpaw

Last edited:

Franky

woman I said NO!!!
Silver Member
I might shoot the 3-railer but the layout makes that shot play fairly tough. I might draw off the 3 to get behind the balls by his pocket. If I'm seeing this correctly, I would probably shoot the following shot though depending on the exact ball spacing of course:

CueTable Help

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with Southpaw, if you come up short, you may lose the game. I think, if I was playing well, {or at all:)}, I'd go for the 1 into the 15 and safe.

trendkill

Takin' notes?!
Silver Member
Southpaw said:
Im just going by the diagram, but it looks like a backwards cut on the 3 to bank it and hitting it too full will not get the cue ball around 3 rails behind the 10. If you come up short, you can sell out a shot on the 13 off the 10 and lose the game.....

Southpaw

It's not that much of a backward cut, not enough to really matter anyway. If I were to come up short on this shot, the worst I'd leave you is on the side rail between the 3 (starting position) and 10. I know my game though, it might not be the right shot for you...

Southpaw

Swing away, Meril....
Silver Member
trendkill said:
It's not that much of a backward cut, not enough to really matter anyway. If I were to come up short on this shot, the worst I'd leave you is on the side rail between the 3 (starting position) and 10. I know my game though, it might not be the right shot for you...

I just prefer to not shoot shots that I cant win the game with, but can lose the game with. I would still have to kick 3 rails and take a foul or nudge the 10 and maybe disturb the dead combo. Giving up one ball on the foul is much better than giving up the game. JMO.

Southpaw