1st Generation 314 Shafts

nrsnyder

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello,
Could anyone tell me the difference in Predator's 1st Generation Shafts(not the -2) between the ones that only have the 314 on the base of the shaft and the ones that have 314 and the panther? Thanks.

poolpro

Not a pro
Silver Member
it has to do with when they were made. The first ones from 1994 to 2001 only had the 314 on the shaft. In 2001 they added the panther logo.

nrsnyder

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
poolpro said:
it has to do with when they were made. The first ones from 1994 to 2001 only had the 314 on the shaft. In 2001 they added the panther logo.

Is there any difference(s) in construction and/or playability.

poolpro

Not a pro
Silver Member
Not as far as I know. There are older ones with a different amount of pie wedges (6, 8, 12) instead of the common ten piece. They made changes in construction on the second gen 314 and Z. My understanding is that there is the 314, the 314-2, the Z, and the Z-2. Those are the different choices as far as construction and playability. I have a first gen 314 on two different cues. The cat logo is just a marking thing, nothing else.

desert1pocket

Registered Fish
Silver Member
nrsnyder said:
Is there any difference(s) in construction and/or playability.

The 314-2 does have differences in construction, most of which are shown on the predator website. The ferrule is shorter, and made of a new stronger material. This is supposed to slightly reduce end mass, thus further reducing deflection, and is supposed to be more resistant to scratches and staining from chalk. They are also now installing a phenolic core at the joint that the insert is set into, rather than putting the insert directly into the wood. The standard tip has been upgraded from a le-pro to an everest. These are the differences listed on their website, but I have heard from two different cue-repairmen, that the hole in the new shafts is slightly larger than the old ones, but I don't know if that's true for sure. As far as playability, I could only notice a minimal difference. IMO the tip upgrade is the most significant change.

poolpro

Not a pro
Silver Member
desert1pocket said:
The 314-2 does have differences in construction, most of which are shown on the predator website. The ferrule is shorter, and made of a new stronger material. This is supposed to slightly reduce end mass, thus further reducing deflection, and is supposed to be more resistant to scratches and staining from chalk. They are also now installing a phenolic core at the joint that the insert is set into, rather than putting the insert directly into the wood. The standard tip has been upgraded from a le-pro to an everest. These are the differences listed on their website, but I have heard from two different cue-repairmen, that the hole in the new shafts is slightly larger than the old ones, but I don't know if that's true for sure. As far as playability, I could only notice a minimal difference. IMO the tip upgrade is the most significant change.

I know that ther are differences between the first gen and second gen. If you look, the question was is there a difference between a first gen 314 with a cat logo, and a first gen 314 without a cat logo. This marking only signifies when the shaft was made ( they started adding the cat logo in 2001), and does not indicate different construction.

StevenPWaldon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good info but he was asking about the differences on the firs generations. There were different numbers of "pie" splices, but that's about it. The only other small difference is the earlier ones with a different logo (no panther) had longer black collars and didn't have rings.

I *do* seem to recall that the super early versions had a longer ferrule. Can someone confirm this?

I have run across so many conflicting opinions between people who love their early 314s and the others who love their later (pre 314-2) 314s.

I think they're pretty much all the same. I have noticed in my limited observations of a few dozen shafts that the later shafts seem to have lower-quality wood. They ding easier, in the small sample that I've been privvy to.

But if you like Predators, they're all the same. Get a good price, be happy, play a good game. Enjoy!

desert1pocket said:

poolpro

Not a pro
Silver Member
StevenPWaldon said:
I *do* seem to recall that the super early versions had a longer ferrule. Can someone confirm this?

!

Yes, that appears to be true. The blu book states that " Generally, the earlier the predator shaft, the longer the ferrule will be."