8-ball game situation?

okinawa77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had this situation during APA league play. My opponent (stripes) played a safety (defense). I am on the 8 ball. Am I right to go for the masse shot for the win?

CueTable Help

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ugh, I don't like the situation at all but my inclination is to play safe and try to get the cueball to hide behind the 8-ball. Even if I don't nail the safety, I know I'm likely getting another shot since the 8-ball is infront of stripes' favorite pocket.

supergreenman

truly addicted
Silver Member
okinawa77 said:
I had this situation during APA league play. My opponent (stripes) played a safety (defense). I am on the 8 ball. Am I right to go for the masse shot for the win?

CueTable Help

You may as well just give your opponent the game if you try that. The Masse in this case is such a low percentage you have about the same chance of fouling and giving your opponent ball in hand.

CueTable Help

This safety is easy to execute and you don't sell out.

Last edited:

okinawa77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK, let's say I play the safety.....then my opponent kicks at there balls (ex. fifteen ball) and leaves me safe....now what?

supergreenman

truly addicted
Silver Member
okinawa77 said:
OK, let's say I play the safety.....then my opponent kicks at there balls (ex. fifteen ball) and leaves me safe....now what?

I'd say it's harder for him to leave you safe. Every ball he contacts gets moved and possibly gives you a shot on the 8. for example:

CueTable Help

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're good enough to do this shot then I'm sure you don't need any advise.

SoundWaves

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
supergreenman said:
I'd say it's harder for him to leave you safe. Every ball he contacts gets moved and possibly gives you a shot on the 8. for example:

CueTable Help

I agree, unless you are frozen to one of his balls there are very few spots on the table that do not provide a good shot or a kick for you. I would have played safe for sure.

okinawa77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well....I did make this shot, but I can't help but wonder whether it is the right shot to take. I just thought someone might enlighten me to a better shot.

Thunderball

Auto rep for belly laughs
Silver Member
What if they did this?

First off,thats a hellhuva masse.

While I might be able to pull it off,I sure wouldn't try it for the money.Very low pecentage shot fo me no doubt.

Considering the above quote I'd say for the cue to get that high off the 15 then the 15 is gonna move a good bit..which would let you rail in with the cue and kick the 8 if the 13 is a blocking a bit.

Unless of course he barely nicks the 15...which as mentioned,is a pretty tough shot.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I'll bet Mike Massy can't make that shot one out of three on a good day. Johnnyt

okinawa77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh, come on! Mike Massey can do it one handed, standing on one leg. I've actually seen him at California Billiards. He can masse with ease. This masse shot is relatively easy. The biggest worry about this masse shot is imparting too much spin. You don't want the cue ball following the 8 into the pocket.

I rack balls

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
APA!? I masse it alllllll day. It depends on where the OB is in relation to the rail. I made this one the other day........

CueTable Help

I was proud of myself, kicked in the 8 haha, buckets.

Eric.

Bob101

Lap Dance Coniseur
Silver Member
okinawa77 said:

CueTable Help

Bankid the 8ball off 10ball in uder pocket with stop on white ball if you want to play shot. Better much to safe a play to. Shot come much in game 1pocket and safe not OK with shot at that 1pocket game.

Last edited:

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
okinawa77 said:
What if they did this?

CueTable Help

Then you go rail-first (long rail, which is left open since the stripe contacted in the kick-safe is now gone from the area) and kick in the 8 - a FAR safer and higher-percentage option than that masse.

For those that have practiced the shot, that masse isn't a hard one, EXCEPT for the fact that you have to make the CB turn back before contacting any of those stripes. Ever so slightly too much stroke, and you give up ball in hand, which is suicide here, because your opponent can use it to run those stripes from the inside, so they aren't blocked by the 8.

Always take a shot that's guaranteed to get you another turn at the table rather than one that has a very good chance of being your last.

-Andrew