9-Ball Rules ?????

MikeJanis

Banned
What are the current 9-ball rules your local TOUR or TOURNAMENT uses ? If a tour, which one?

If you could change them to any other published format, what would that be? (Without changes to any individual rules)

Do you think Jump Cues should be allowed?

Any comments?

Mj

Ruthless

~= Gator Nation =~
Silver Member
The Florida Tour (gone for 1 year) changes the rules about every year.

But I'm for winner breaks for the simple reason that there is no rule yet that works for a soft break. They need to change it to a ball having to cross the head string instead of 4 touching a rail. Then maybe alt. breaks would work.

M

Midnight Rain

I would vote for texas express rules. Alternating break. and Jump cues should be allowed simply because it does take some skill to use one.

I think it takes more skill to get shape rather than getting another cue and stabin at the cloth to make the ball jump. But I know it is part of the game, I just feel it shouldn't be.......Just me own opinion.

stick8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
tournement rules

Hello Mike: I use Texas express in my weekley tourny, have no problems with nthem, I try to teach the rules plus I have copys posted. I would rule out the jump shot in pool . to me a player goinig 3-4 rals to hit a ball is more of talent than jump shoot. Just old man opnion. STICK

J

jkurjan

A well executed jump shot does not overkill the table fabric any more than some massess and power shots. I usually find most jump shots are defensive in nature when your opponent has hooked you.

I jump quite well but the results always are weghted in favor of multiple rail shots. Why take an option away from a good player? A well played jump is as nice to see as a perfect multiple rail hit.

Yes to jump shots and jump cues... but I could see some cohesive rules on TYPES of jump cues (size,weight, tip and cue materail)

Jonathan

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know, with the exception of the jump shot, the biggest problem I find with nine-ball is that we're not playing ten-ball! You want people to start breaking hard? You want to take half of the advantages out of the break? Make people play ten-ball and let them break from whereever they want! Making a ball on the break is difficult AND even if you do, the odds of run-ending traffic is dramatically increased. It makes the game far more strategic and puts a greater emphasis on safety play, position play and kick shots.

Don't get me wrong, I love 9-ball. It's an interesting game in so many regards but it's way to simple for top professionals and gives too much weight to momentum. Ten-ball doesn't eliminate the momentum factor but it does provide more exchange between to top players and that's really what you want. Personally, I think the biggest problem facing the rules of pool nowadays is exchange. In a winner-breaks situation, you allow one player to control the table game after game. You either have to take the break away or make it more difficult to maintain that momentum.

Jude

Like stated above the 3 rail kick takes more skill than jumping.................and it does take it's toll on the cloth. And about the 10 ball......................That is a great game, I use to practice it. Instead of practicing 9 ball, 10 ball makes for a tougher run out and less balls on the break. But I would rather see a guy break and run 9 racks of 9 ball......Than seeing a match of 10 ball where they rarely make a ball on the break, and just trade serves. ( kinda like the alternateing breaks )

Joe T

10 Ball For Sure

Jude I couldn't have said it better myself. 10 Ball stops all the breaking and racking problems. I also think it should be rack your own and if you make the 10 on the break it spots at the end of your inning. No Jump cues, as Grady says it takes years to learn how to become a good kicker but I could teach someone in an hour to use a jump cue.

M

MSB Promotions

I also agree on the switch to 10-ball, but at a Pro level. I believe that the pro's should be playing 10-ball instead of 9-ball. Just about all the break issues are resolved by removing the corner balls.

As for the jump cues, I do not agree with using them. But in the case where a jump cue is allowed, jump cue specifications should be established. I believe that the WPBA has done that.

Years ago, I remember going to the PTBA Bay State Shootout in Massachusetts. Mike Sigel, who never believed in the jump cue, was given a steel rod with a rubber tip. The rod weighted close to 2 pounds. All you had to do was drop the rod onto the cue ball and the cue ball would go straight up about three feet. It was after this event that the PBTA added the no jump cue rule.

As for a standardize set of rules to be used, good luck. Every organization will find a reason to change the rules without waiting for some other organization to do it. This is why there is the Texas Express Rules, BCA (World Standardized) Rules, Pro Express Rules, Grady Rules and so on.

I run my Killer B's events under the Texas Express Rules. Those are the rules that I prefer due to their explicit nature. I don't force a break box rule and I don't allow jump cues.

MikeJanis

Banned
Mario, How ya doin? You say you run your events under TE rules but no jump cue allowed. Shouldn't that be called Modified TE rules? Because it's not realy TE rules.

Also, in what way do you feel the TE rules are more explicit than World Standardized rules?

Mj

MikeJanis

Banned
For those who are not sure of the differences. I am posting links to the BCA (World Standardized rules and the Texas express rules. Please take the time to explore the differences for yourself. Also, please read the statement from John Lewis about why & how the Word Standardized rules have become the the most widely used.

Links =
http://www.bca-pool.com/play/
for this link you can read that statement and the General rules and the 9-Ball Rules.

http://www.texasexpress.com/rules_sec1.htm

After reviewing both sets tell me wht you think.

Mj