A Hilarious Difference Between Efren & Ralf

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
perhaps it's a cultural thing, Germany vs Phillipines.

Samm Dieps, "what's in the case"

Efren's case takes 4 minutes, he has a playing cue and a break cue, didn't bother bringing the extra shafts, there's a scuffer/shaper that he's not real sure if it's dime or nickel radius, one very worn cube of chalk, and some talc. His gorgeous Justis case has a big red FRAGILE sticker across the white leather from his plane trip. Oh yeah, there's a tube of arthritis cream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkzOLqtcUjM

Ralf's case takes 17 minutes and he has so many doodads and gizmos and tip condoms to protect his case from chalk, everything is laid out meticulously, even the toilet seat sanitizer and toilet seat covers. :eek::grin-square:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42yd7Q4hu_w

these are two HOF legends coming at the game from very different directions regarding their equipment.

I love them both! :cool:

I have to admit, I tend to be much more like Ralf, even my fishing tackle boxes...

Who are you more like as far as what's in the case??

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

oldplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it is in fact the german culture.....I mean,, who makes the best "mechanical" things? people of detail no doubt!

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Afraid I'm more like Ralf. But I do often think of downsizing... I dunno..maybe it's better to have it and not need it than wish you had it...

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
it is in fact the german culture.....I mean,, who makes the best "mechanical" things? people of detail no doubt!

I agree -- I'm of Irish/German descent (first and last name, respectively), and for the longest time, I was like Ralf. Dozens of tools, knick-knacks, and doo-dads in my cue case. But as time wore on -- and so did my back, with such a heavy case -- that the practical side of me took over. (Germans can be very practical people, but I'm not sure if that was it, or the always-practical fooken'-Irish side of me took over.) I started rifling through my case and removed all but the most essential things.

Basically:
That's it. These, for me, are the "Cadillacs" of the bare essentials.

I've even emptied my 4x8 case to just a break cue and one playing cue with an extra shaft. I'll probably get a 2x4 case to downsize even further.

-Sean

Last edited:

JohnPT

"Prove it!"
Silver Member
I like Efren's style. I have 1 play cue, 1 break cue and a jump cue. No extra shafts. 1 cube of chalk ,a scuffer and cue rest as accessories.

Last edited:

JohnPT

"Prove it!"
Silver Member
Efren has a jump cue?
Sorry I was talking about the stuff I have in my bag and not Efren's.

But, to answer your question, yes Efren has a jump cue. Saw him whip it out the first time in a WPC match. Sorry, i can't recall which particular match.

Solomon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm like a number of the players that were interviewed for the "What's in the Case" clips. A few of the players hadn't emptied out their case in such a long time that they were like, "I didn't know that was in there" or "I forgot that was in there". I tend to pack my case for a 'worse case scenario', but only really get around to using a couple of items. The rest of the items just sit there until I change cases or forever.

oneball

Registered
You could give Efren a broomstick with a decent tip on it, and not only would he beat the pants off the competition, but he'd sweep the joint out afterward.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tend to stick with the minimum. Shaper, chalk, leather pad, glove, a microfiber towel, and my cues. I don't carry any "ass gaskets"!

Stones

YEAH, I'M WOOFING AT YOU!
Silver Member
For eighteen years, all I had when I walked through the door of a poolroom was a 1x1 case with a sneaky pete, chalk, talc and a small towel. Had a scuffer on my keychain.

Now, I need a crane to haul in what I carry. When did life become so complicated?

Oh, I still have that same scuffer on my keychain. It's been worn smooth after being in my pocket for 35 years.

Stones

desertshark

Racks on racks on racks
Silver Member
Back when I played pool years ago I had my Pechauer in a 1x1 case, no joint protectors and a cube of Masters chalk. When that got worn down I would exchange it at the pool hall for another. I'd wipe the tip on the carpet when I was done playing. Life was easy.

Now I have a 3x4 that has the cues section full (2 players and a break) an extending bridge, tip tool, pocket chalker, extra chalk, cue holder, hand towel, silk cloth, green scrubby, shaft burnisher, some league patches, coin pouch and more stuff I'm forgetting.

I recently picked up a Predator Blak 1x1 that I carry a play/break cue and pocket chalker. I use this set up for league some nights but mostly if I'm headed to out of town playing.

Now I'm on the hunt for a 2x2 or 2x3 I can pack my cue and a break cue in.

I usually do all my cue maintenance after I get home or the night before I play league or I'm headed out of town to play.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
I'm like Ralf, but without the OCD and neatness...I've got so much junk in my case I'm not sure anymore what's there...extra milk duds, dime and nickel radius Willards, tip pick, chalk (mostly worn out), Tip Trimmer, Tip Burnisher, Leather pad, sand paper (!), ScotchBrite pad, shaft burnishing micro papers, micro fiber towel, registration certificate for a Joss cue I gave my son years ago, baby powder, two cue gloves, Shock Doctor wrist brace, Shock Doctor elbow wrap for my chronic tennis elbow, IcyHot balm, Tiger Claw, my player, two stock shafts, one after market shaft I play with, jump/break cue with shaft. I'm afraid to take it all out, I'll never get it all back in. :p

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Yeah, when I started out (and for most of my 30 years of playing) I had a simple 1x2 case with a small pocket, broke with a house cue and kept my tip shaper on my key chain. Never needed more. Now I play a lot less and have more junk than I can carry...but always seem to need it. Go figure...

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
I carry a 1x2 case with a Williard's scuffer & a cube of chalk that has no paper left on it. I think Ralf's neatness is German. Visit west Germany & it becomes evident those folks are very tidy & clean. Old ladies are out first thing in the morning with brooms, sweeping the sidewalk & street in front of their home or business. Beautiful place to visit.

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry I was talking about the stuff I have in my bag and not Efren's.

But, to answer your question, yes Efren has a jump cue. Saw him whip it out the first time in a WPC match. Sorry, i can't recall which particular match.

I didn't know that he had one..using it must be rare.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a simple man...

I have a big 3 x 4 case I use for storage. When I go to play I have a 2 x 2 with a Diviney Custom Ebony Hustler player and a Diviney break/jump cue. Also, a couple of pieces of Blue Diamond chalk, Cutech 3 in 1 tip tool, Q Wiz Shaft Conditioner, a 10 x 10" piece of synthetic polishing cloth in case the shaft starts feeling dirty and a "bridge" I can use on the jump/break cue if needed. About the only thing I use out of the house is the synthetic cloth because the local pubs take lousy care of their tables and they are filthy. Tip and shaft prep are done at home so I don't have to mess with it when I am playing.

eddie8842

getcha some of that
Silver Member
K.i.s.s.

i like to keep it simple in my 3x6
playing cue with an extra shaft, break cue, jump cue, backup cue i never use, willards dime shaper, willards nickel shaper, cuetec 3 in 1 tool, tip burnisher, tip tapper, 4 q-wiz's, magnetic chalk holder, brad scuffer, 3-cue claw, measle ball, 2 gloves, towel, some cubes of master chalk, some octagons of predator chalk, moosehead bridge, telescoping extension

of all the things, i mostly just use my playing cue for breaking and playing, one glove, the jump cue rarely, and the chalk holder when i'm not too lazy to pull it out
my friends at the pool hall that know i carry around all this stuff use my tip tools more than i do haha