~ + ~ A piece of American History, the "Anasazi Cue" ~ + ~

mair23

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Guys,

most of you knew that one of Judd Fullers Masterpieces is in my collection, but do you know the history behind it - i didn´t :mad:
But that´s maybe because i am an European :rolleyes:

Judd and Trudy Fuller live near Mesa Verde in Colorado, i found out, and there is something i didn´t know until now.
The fantastic "Mesa Verde National Park" with a spectacular reminder of this ancient culture.

Found a little bit on Wikipedia, too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesa_Verde_National_Park

And,
the people who lived in Mesa Verde are sometimes referred to as the "Anasazi," a Navajo Indian word meaning "ancient ones" or "ancient foreigners."
In recognition that the people who once lived here are not only the ancestors of some of the Navajo, but also ancestral
to most tribes living in the southwest, we now refer to the ancient people of Mesa Verde as the Ancestral Puebloan people.

Maybe all this history was the reason for Judd to build this wonderfull cue with that awesome inlays and rings in it.
For me for sure it was the reason to pick a background picture from "Mesa Verde". I realy hope you like the idea :grin:

Erich

I made a new one with a colour background, because Mr.Fuller would like the earthtone in the back.
What do you think, which one is nicer :confused:

Erich

The "ANASAZI CUE COLLAGE"

AnasaziCollage1Kopie.jpg

The NEW COLOUR (EARTHTONE) "ANASAZI CUE COLLAGE"

AnasaziCollage2-1.jpg

Last edited:

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Great pick-up, Erich....definitely fits in nicely with your other cues. I've spent some time in Mesa Verde years ago, and this cue certainly holds true to that theme/feel.

Sean

mair23

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great Idea Erich .... pretty cool work.

Berny

Thanks for your kind words, Berny :grin:
I love to do these collages and working with my cues, you know.

A very creative way of presenting your cues.
I think it realy is, and you need only one pic of presenting them :grin-square:

Great pick-up, Erich....definitely fits in nicely with your other cues. I've spent some time in Mesa Verde years ago, and this cue certainly holds true to that theme/feel.

Sean

I found out some time ago that it is the only cue with TWO FEATURED COLOUR PICS in the Blue Book.
The cue is in the Second and in the Third Editon, and then i saw it for sale and had to have it. :grin:
And for me it´s great to hear that it feets the Anasazi (Mesa Verde) theme as good as i thought, too.
Thanks for your nice words, Sean and we will see us at the Expo :wink:

Erich

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Colorado

This thread with pics of an incredible Judd Fuller cue depicting one of the nicest parts of Colorado
makes me proud to be from Colorado.
The Southwest corner area of Colorado is a great place to take a road trip.
I may never be able to take a cue pic again but that's OK.

Thanks for taking the Cue Gallery to another level

mair23

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This thread with pics of an incredible Judd Fuller cue depicting one of the nicest parts of Colorado
makes me proud to be from Colorado.
The Southwest corner area of Colorado is a great place to take a road trip.
I may never be able to take a cue pic again but that's OK.

Thanks for taking the Cue Gallery to another level

WOW, your words make me very happy - i had nearly a tear in my eye, you know. :)
I had the idea that each cue or cuemaker could be represented and connected with the background,
and on that cue it was realy easy, thanks to Judd Fuller for doing a theme like this and living near Mesa Verde. :thumbup:

But a least it should be possible to connect the cuemakers with the city or state they are coming from or living.
Like Cognoscenti and Chicago, or maybe Mike Bender and Alaska - that will be my future direction.
And i thought maybe we should be able to see a little bit more of that background pic, too. :grin:

Thanks again for your great compliment :blush:
Erich

That is an awesome cue. You are doing some very nice collages. What is the program you are using to make them?

Thanks for your kind words, justin and it´s nice to hear you like the cue.
I realy think it´s one of the biggest cues from Judd Fuller until now, but i could be wrong. :confused:
And i will work on the collages to make them even better in the future, too.
With Photoshop and the help of some great AZ Members that´s not as hard to do.
So thanks again to Dick (billardcue) and Jamie (worminator) for their help with collages :thumbup: :clapping:
Erich

mair23

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
!! A little redoing of the background !!

Hey guys,

first of all i have to thank cuesblues again for his nice compliments :blush:
You are one of the reason for this little redoing, and for sure i didn´t like
the Black&White background that much. :rolleyes:
I have the original description from Judd Fuller from this 1995 Showcue,
thanks to TROY (Troro) from "ON THE HILL CUES".
The earthtone in the wood inlays is very important to this cue,
so i think the earthtone in the backgorund should be visible, too.
I hope you all will enjoy the new pic like i do it,

Erich

~+~ FOR THE INTERESTED ONES ~+~

Here is the show description provided by Judd & Trudy Fuller Cue #33 - Anasazi

"This exquisite masterpiece of cue art combines earthtone colors with the bright patterns of Indian rugs with accents from Turquoise and Silver.
The figured Birdseye Maple forearm features 4 long Macassar Ebony prongs inlaid with Red Chakte-Kok and Turquoise point inlays.
4 short Macassar Ebony prongs are set between the long prongs.
8 Gabon Ebony, Osage Orange, and Turquoise arrowheads are set just above the wrap complete the forearm craftmanship.
The lower Macassar Ebony butt is reminiscent of native Indian rugwork of the Southwest featuring diamond and triangle shapes
containing inlays in Turquoise, Red Chakte-Kok, Ebony, and Osage Orange surrounded by a Silver stair step pattern.
Delicate stitching abounds from an inlay pattern of 48 replicating triangles of Osage Orange and Red Chakte-Kok with a zig-zag pattern of Gabon Ebony set between,
all encased by silver rings complete the inlays." The Anasazi is also pictured in the 2nd and 3rd Edition of the Blue Book of Cues. Cue weighs 19.6 ounces.

I realy liked that description, too. :thumbup:

AnasaziCollage2-1.jpg

Last edited:

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Gallery

WOW, your words make me very happy - i had nearly a tear in my eye, you know. :)
I had the idea that each cue or cuemaker could be represented and connected with the background,
and on that cue it was realy easy, thanks to Judd Fuller for doing a theme like this and living near Mesa Verde. :thumbup:

But a least it should be possible to connect the cuemakers with the city or state they are coming from or living.
Like Cognoscenti and Chicago, or maybe Mike Bender and Alaska - that will be my future direction.
And i thought maybe we should be able to see a little bit more of that background pic, too. :grin:

Thanks again for your great compliment :blush:
Erich

Thanks for your kind words, justin and it´s nice to hear you like the cue.
I realy think it´s one of the biggest cues from Judd Fuller until now, but i could be wrong. :confused:
And i will work on the collages to make them even better in the future, too.
With Photoshop and the help of some great AZ Members that´s not as hard to do.
So thanks again to Dick (billardcue) and Jamie (worminator) for their help with collages :thumbup: :clapping:
Erich

Similar collages for various cues based on state themes of that particular cuemaker is what I was thinking also when I saw this thread.
Personally I have no artistic ability, and can't even take a good pic with the cue sitting on a sheet, so I have a lot of respect for you photographers.
I bought a big Celestron telescope 20-years ago that came with a Pentax 35mm Super ME and the attachments, and I just downloaded instructions on how to turn it on.

If I had your ability I would be thinking about an AZ cue calender.
My vote would be the Anasazi cue for the cover.

Very cool

Peace

Ted

mair23

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Similar collages for various cues based on state themes of that particular cuemaker is what I was thinking also when I saw this thread.
Personally I have no artistic ability, and can't even take a good pic with the cue sitting on a sheet, so I have a lot of respect for you photographers.
I bought a big Celestron telescope 20-years ago that came with a Pentax 35mm Super ME and the attachments, and I just downloaded instructions on how to turn it on.

If I had your ability I would be thinking about an AZ cue calender.
My vote would be the Anasazi cue for the cover.

Very cool

Peace

Ted

Thanks again for your compliments, Ted, but to say you the truth, i think anybody who wants can do this.
I am not a photographer, i am doing my pics with a cheap camera and they are not realy good.
The only thing i am doing is sitting down and trying to make the best out of it, and that needs some time for sure.

The idea with a calender with theme cues and collages, is realy great i think :thumbup:
But there you would need a professional photographer, designer, etc., etc., and ......... to much money. :eek:

Maybe there are some people here on AZ who would have the money for a project like that, come on guys :grin::confused:

Erich

mair23

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Come on guys, where are our great collectors.
We realy should think about doing an AZ Cue Calender with theme cues, hmm.
Tik, you have some for sure, or not :eek: :confused: :eek:
Erich

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Calender

Come on guys, where are our great collectors.
We realy should think about doing an AZ Cue Calender with theme cues, hmm.
Tik, you have some for sure, or not :eek: :confused: :eek:
Erich

Maybe we should start a thread?
Got to get the AZ administrator's involved, there's probably a lot to it.

There used to be cue calenders, I don't know who was doing them or what happened to them.
I'm sure there would be a lot of upfront cost but a 2011 cue calender could be profitable for AZ.
I wouldn't mind having some of those old calenders.

juddcuelady

My favorite cue

Hello Erich,

I was happy to see your post. I am Judd's wife, I designed the cue and yes you are correct; it is based on the Anasazi designs I grew up with.

Your presentation is great, Judd and I like it very much. It is nice to see the "Anasazi" found a good home.

Trudy

mair23

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello Erich,

I was happy to see your post. I am Judd's wife, I designed the cue and yes you are correct; it is based on the Anasazi designs I grew up with.

Your presentation is great, Judd and I like it very much. It is nice to see the "Anasazi" found a good home.

Trudy

WOW, it´s realy great in my eyes to welcome you to the AZ community.
:happydance: :bow-down: :happydance:
I love it when more and more people of the billiard industry get involved here on AZ - that´s great.

And for sure it´s a pleasure for me to give "Anasazi" a nice and safe home, hopefuly. :grin:
I am proud to own this piece of history, and realy happy that both of you like my collage.
Maybe it helped a little to bring you to this nice website as a member. :)
That for sure would make me realy happy, too. :thumbup:

Erich